Barrier Reef global warming inspection

Stillwater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrier_Reef : "The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority considers the greatest threat to the Great Barrier Reef to be climate change, causing ocean warming which increases coral bleaching. Mass coral bleaching events due to elevated ocean temperatures occurred in the summers of 1998, 2002 and 2006, and coral bleaching is expected to become an annual occurrence. As global warming continues due to anthropogenic causes, corals will not be able to keep up with increasing ocean temperatures. Coral bleaching events lead to increased disease susceptibility, which causes detrimental ecological effects for reef communities."

The inspection tour started early in Hamilton...:

Ti7xJ.jpg

Rise, rise, ... (5:00 local time  ;D )

N4cpP.jpg

For the best picture quality, the press officer cannot enjoy the luxury of fixed windows...

fya8Y.jpg

... but you can judge the difference:

nGo0L.jpg

The documentation work begins...

tDswM.jpg

oJUt9.jpg

lfwtW.jpg

9RDfe.jpg

... samples to be taken here ...

xgHBb.jpg

... return to the mainland, at Hay Point Coal facility. By the way ... "Another key threat faced by the Great Barrier Reef is pollution and declining water quality. The rivers of north eastern Australia pollute the Reef during tropical flood events. Over 90% of this pollution comes from farm runoff. Farm run-off is caused by overgrazing, excessive fertiliser use, and pesticide use.

The runoff problem is exacerbated by the loss of coastal wetlands which act as a natural filter for toxins and help deposit sediment. It is thought that the poor water quality is due to increased light and oxygen competition from algae." (again from the wikipedia article cited above).

gmJqw.jpg

Traffic, traffic - on downwind to Mackay.

09i.jpg

Now the scientists need to evaluate the results. Will not be posted in this forum... 8)

Great set once again mate.. as always you find "the good stuff" and give us an interesting story to go with it.. I have to admit that you got me with Dalrymple Bay/ Hay point, In all my flying up and down the East coast of Aus I had never seen that addon.. magic.

Excellent shots and story/info Gerold.

Totally agree that things need to be done with so many issues affecting the place we live. Saw an interesting programme last year about deep sea coral on the edge of the Continental Shelf. Many, many years ago the sea level was some 450ft lower than today  and some corals adapted to a deep water existence.

Gerold, your sets are not only to be watched - they have to be read. Great story with amazingly coloured pics and a very earnest background.

Great shots and interesting information Gerold. Thanks for posting.

Great shots! :)

+1 - Well done post my friend .

Brad

Thanks for posting .... Awesome shots for a needed awareness like I have posted before ocean ecology is important nice to see it brought into our community. Just don't understand some don't get it oceans die we die.

Best regards Dreamer

Excellent shots and story/info Gerold.

Totally agree that things need to be done with so many issues affecting the place we live. Saw an interesting programme last year about deep sea coral on the edge of the Continental Shelf. Many, many years ago the sea level was some 450ft lower than today  and some corals adapted to a deep water existence.

Thanks, my friends. It was a pleasure flying, reading, screenshooting and posting!

Great set once again mate.. as always you find "the good stuff" and give us an interesting story to go with it.. I have to admit that you got me with Dalrymple Bay/ Hay point, In all my flying up and down the East coast of Aus I had never seen that addon.. magic.

Now you got me, mate: I was not aware that this bay is also named Dalrymple. I just thought that Dalrymple was a Tasmanian wine growers village (in fact I do have a bottle of Dalrymple Sauvignon Blanc in my cellar). That is the way we learn from simming and posting - I love that!

Top shots and story there mate.

cheers

Iain

Fantastic shots of the Cat Gerold and interesting information as well!!

Adam

Great set and thanks for the story!

Great subject and captures. Good idea to use this set as a tool to put forward an important issue.

Nice flight and great shots, enjoyed it.

Thanks, mates. I did not expect such a great series of replies!

Archived