What SoCal airports for FTX Global

Neil Hill

Hi Folks,

In my spare time I've been working on some Southern California GA airports, KVNY, Van Nuys of "One Six Right" DVD fame and KRIR, Flabob Airport, Wierd name and poorly placed  by MS.  I thought a 5 pack of SoCal airports would be nice for FTX Global so I need some suggestions for 3 more GA airports in the SoCal area (LA Basin?) area.  I also have a couple of back east airports that could be available I did for a friend and also KGCN, Grand Canyon National Park Airport that some folks might be interested in.  

These will be freeware and the new ones completed as I have time.  Any ideas?

Cheers, Neil

Neil do they have civilian airports?  There are some Navy/Marine Corps airports in the San Diego area that could use some love.

EDIT:  ah sorry, you did say GA airports.  First that comes to mind is Palm Springs.

Also some regional airports like Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria would be nice settings, in the mountains but not far from the coast. And Big Bear would be cool too, up in the mountains.

Maybe Hemet would be cool for 'Cal Fire' missions....

Hi guys,

Surfnoneill- Burbank is too close to Van Nuys, I'm looking to move further afield and Long Beach, KLGB is too big, it's more than just a GA airport.

Kimo - Good suggestion, I earlier actually started that one but I need a modeler to do those red roofed buildings which I can't do.

BradB  - L65 could be a good choice, not too big, a fair way away and has some interesting features (two tone rwy, home, pool, etc)

Wolter - I'm sure OZx did a better job on the Grand Canyon Airport than I did, thanks for letting us know.  it was a fun project though.

Folks,  keep the suggestions coming, Neil

Thanks Neil,

Sounds great. Could I suggest KSBA Santa Barbara. A good mix of GA traffic and big enough for the PMDG drivers.

Nice location with some interesting approach and departure procedures.

Regards

Paul Cousins

PNW,NRM,CRM,PFJ, SAK,OZSP4,NZSI,NI,FTXG,MostFTX airports

Surfnoniell,

No screenshots yet as I've not taken a close look at them lately, or they're not finished.  There is also some logistic work to do as I don't think we (ORBX) have a plan on where/how to place them into the ORBX folders.  I know Eddy Boyte, who did a great job on his NZNI airports plus a few for ENG, is also working on some so I hope to see other FTXG airports showing up before too long.

Ripcord - sorry I forgot to mention your request for military airports.  I shy away from them as our ORBX library has very few hanger objects that would even begin do them justice. 

What I'm looking for primarily are suggestions for GA airports in the LA Basin area but slightly outside that area is fine also.  I realize SoCal includes the San Diego area so I'll start a list of suggestions from that area to do next.

Cheers, Neil

It would be great if you would do KPSP, Palm Springs, or one of the smaller ones in the Coachella Valley area.  I am retiring to that area in January and could use a newly model home airport.

LOL.....

Danny

I would say Van Nuys. I lived @ Victory and Balboa in the late 50's thru the 60's. I remember watching the U2's take off which was a real treat. I took my flight lessons out of Van Nuys in 1966, in a J3 "Piper 631". 

I have not been back there since 1969 so I am sure it has grown.

Bob

I don't understand this at all...did i miss something? Northern California is not out yet. .but you asking for airports in socal ...is this for FTXG? Or where do I buy this amazing scenery. .Is this going to be another Region?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY Note ll using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

In my spare time I've been working on some Southern California GA airports, KVNY, Van Nuys of "One Six Right" DVD fame and KRIR, Flabob Airport, Wierd name and poorly placed by MS. I thought a 5 pack of SoCal airports would be nice for FTX Global so I need some suggestions for 3 more GA airports in the SoCal area (LA Basin?) area. I also have a couple of back east airports that could be available I did for a friend and also KGCN, Grand Canyon National Park Airport that some folks might be interested in.

These will be freeware and the new ones completed as I have time. Any ideas?

Cheers, Neil

Neil, this is fantastic. Thank you, as I do a lot of flying on Pilot Edge.

FYI, there already is a decent Flabob. Nothing wrong with doing your own, but it might help you prioritize your development.

I'd love to see Carlsbad (KCRQ), Oxnard (KOXR), and Santa Monica (KSMO).

Todd

Neil, where can we see your airports you have done.. im sorry if you may have mentioned this before

Neil's the "airport guy" for a lot of the ORBX regions.  so all the enhanced default airfields in the NA regions and I believe some in  NZ and EU as well are his work.  I don't know if anybody keeps track of this sort of thing, but I would imagine that Neil Holds the record for most airports developed for FSX, since it's gotta be well over a thousand by this point.  the airports use orbx library objects and textures, and don't have the photoreal ground poly and custom buildings of full orbx airports,  but I consider his work one of the best selling points of the ORBX regions

I don't understand this at all...did i miss something? Northern California is not out yet. .but you asking for airports in socal ...is this for FTXG? Or where do I buy this amazing scenery. .Is this going to be another Region?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY Note ll using Tapatalk

The airports will be for FTX Global.

Yes, Burbank looks like a nice airport.  ;D

Thanks Edward!! I did not see the entire topic headline on my phone :lol:  i read something like

"What SoCal airports for FTX " ???  :lol: 

Neil's the "airport guy" for a lot of the ORBX regions.  so all the enhanced default airfields in the NA regions and I believe some in  NZ and EU as well are his work.  I don't know if anybody keeps track of this sort of thing, but I would imagine that Neil Holds the record for most airports developed for FSX, since it's gotta be well over a thousand by this point.  the airports use orbx library objects and textures, and don't have the photoreal ground poly and custom buildings of full orbx airports,  but I consider his work one of the best selling points of the ORBX regions

Thank you Shawn. they are all unreal :)

Well my two (or perhaps this should be four?) cents would include Monterey (KMRY) and Concord (KCCR)... Smallish airports, big enough for some jets and some interesting locations and configurations :) But I am a little biased seeing as I flew there a lot with students ;)

Well blast,

I just spent 15 minutes crafting an response for everyone and got a notification of another answer.  When I went to look at it I lost all that work.  Oh well, better luck this time.

As Eddy said, these are for FTX Global but if ORBX ever does SCA (Southern California) these will be ready to go except for a few LC tweaks so consider I'm just working ahead and you will get them earlier ;-).

Many good suggestions, I'm keeping a list, thanks to all of you.

I've decided on at least one of them, Big bear, KL35 will be the next I work on.  I actually walked across the top of Big Bear Lake!  OK, it was in one of those really cold years and it was frozen over, but it does make a good conversation starter.

Rob - Now you know Monterey (KMRY) and Concord (KCCR) are part of NCA and you'll have to wait like everyone else :-)   If anyone's interested NCA is moving along smoothly, look for it's release later this year.  I even had to learn LC tile and poly placement so if you don't like the looks of the northern half of NCA blame it on me.

momo737 -  I'm seriously thinking of Corona as it is south of those I'm now working and will provide a larger area to fly in, besides I just remembered, I worked at that airport as an avionics technician.  How could I have forgotten that.  You haven't lived until you've worked on your back, dodging the petals, trying to take a radio from behind the panel of a small aircraft!!

I stopped counting the airports I've done but if you count the all those tiny airstrips I added to NZSI and NZNI it has to be over 2000.

Still a choice or two left to go and looking for other suggestions.

Cheers, Neil

P.S. - I'll check this thread again in the morning, it's getting toward shutdown time, us old geezers need our rest.

Superglide, in case you didn't know, MKStudios has a nice KSNA you can get here:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=162540

Neil, here's the Flabob that is available. Not to disuade you from doing your own, but a really nice one exists already:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=13735443

I don't know about others, but I would be very interested in your KGCN.

Todd

I have all the US Cities by Lime Sim (who is also doing some work for ORBX I understand), and they have pretty good coverage of these airport -- looks like Van Nuys, Bob Hope Burbank and Catalina are included in that.

Some additional suggestions, just to toss out some ideas.

-- Warner Springs Gliderport.

-- San Bernadino Intl (not that big)

-- Redlands Muni

-- Yucca Valley

-- Brackett Field, San Dimas/Pomona

-- Camarillo

-- Santa Paula

-- Santa Ynez

I think a couple of these were mentioned already.

Good morning guys,

Man, super suggestions, but I finally made my choices.  I couldn't choose between Redlands and El Monte so I'll be doing both and throwing in Catalina as a bonus (just have to figure how to do those red topped buildings) 6 +1 in all.

Here's the list: Van Nuys, KVNY; Redlands Airport, KREI; El Monte, KEMT; Big Bear airport, KL35 ; Corona airport, KAJO; Flabob, KRIR (it's already done and I'll need it later anyway);  Catalina KAVX.

I'll be working these along with my NCA activities so it will be awhile before they'll be ready.

Thanks for all your suggestions, even those I didn't use I keep track of.

Cheers, Neil

Good stuff, Neil. Thank you for seeking ideas from the Orbx community.  All of your airports will be welcome additions for sure.  One airport I forgot to mention, which has already been done (and quite nicely), is Redlands (KREI) . Not to rain on your parade, but if you haven't done it yet, you may want to use your talents on another option,although I am sure you can create a fine Redlands yourself.

Superglide, that crab was special, especially after soaked in clarified butter. 8) It's not a soft shell, though, but rather a Maryland steamed blue crab. I was just playing around, pretending I was about to eat a crab whole, before the real mess began. Too bad crab prices are too high this year ($104-$110 USD).

Todd

Neil, not quite in the LAX basin but in So Cal,  My home airport of KSEE - Gillespie Field :-)

An WW2 auxilliary field which also was a Marine Corp paratroop jump school and big military airbase in its time.  Now one of the busiest airport is the San Diego County.  A 737 has landed there, once for an emergency then proceeded to sink into the taxiways thru the asphalt.  It has been repaired since then. 

That is my wish

What about KSEE Gillespie Field in El Cajon, just outside of San Diego? That's a really nice airport and it is also the home airfield for ASTREA, which is the San Deigo County Sheriff's Department heliport.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers!

Archived