What SoCal airports for FTX Global

Neil Hill

Yea... good ol' Gillespie.  They even landed the space shuttle once there.

Ooops... I was wrong... that was at Montgomery Field in San Diego.

HaHa, they would have needed a real big drag shoot.....and some real good brakes....

Cheers

As Eddy said, these are for FTX Global but if ORBX ever does SCA (Southern California) these will be ready to go except for a few LC tweaks so consider I'm just working ahead and you will get them earlier ;-).

Good morning guys,

Here's the list: Van Nuys, KVNY; Redlands Airport, KREI; El Monte, KEMT; Big Bear airport, KL35 ; Corona airport, KAJO; Flabob, KRIR (it's already done and I'll need it later anyway);  Catalina KAVX.

Thanks for all your suggestions, even those I didn't use I keep track of.

Cheers, Neil

Good choice Neil!! But please Orbx! make this area an FTX Region ''ASAP'' its a most for FSX... i'm willing to pay extra for this, like $100.00USD :D

Thanks

Danny

Good morning all,

Todd, thanks for letting me know Redlands (KREI) has been done, it saves me the issue of figuring out how to do a name change as FSX lists it as L12 rather than it's new name.  So were back to five airports.  My Flabob was pretty much completed so I'll keep it as part of the group.

Wayne, Heliguy52  - I took at look at Gillespie, yikes, that one would take awhile to do and there are a few hanger objects needed that just don't exist.  I have placed it with my list for the San Diego area however.

For those that would like to see a SCA area done....I'd need a year or more just to do the airports, there's loads of them and many are VERY large!!  But I will say it would be nice to have the whole west coast done (I've lived on the west coast all my life), however I'm not the decision maker and there's loads of other areas that haven't been touched.  A quicker possibility would be lobbying for your favorite airport as part of FTXG (hopefully THAT statement won't open up a can of worms, John's gonna kill me when he gets back from vacation).

Cheers, Neil

Hello Neil

Thanks so much for doing Southern Cali GA airports. I have two in mind that I WOULD LOVE to see. KSNA Orange County/John Wayne Airport and KSBA Santa Barbara Airport. John Wayne airport is a great GA and commercial airport with a short runway. thanks Neil for asking

Matthew

psykie: both KSNA and KSBA are on my list but both are very big so it would be awhile before I get to them, if at all, but thanks for the suggestions.

Salamge: my list does include KCRQ, it's large but not too bad.  My wife says she used to watch the boat races down there, fond memories.

Rob: L52 looks great and would be quick to do and if I do a Santa Barbara area group it will be on top of my list.

FYI - It takes me about a day to do a medium sized airport and it's being done on my own time at no charge to John so it will be a little while before even these I'm doing now will be available.  Besides the logistics for getting these tested and into the ORBX releases hasn't been figured out yet.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Niel.

Quote: "Hi Folks,

In my spare time I've been working on some Southern California GA airports, KVNY, Van Nuys of "One Six Right" DVD fame and KRIR, Flabob Airport, Wierd name and poorly placed  by MS.  I thought a 5 pack of SoCal airports would be nice for FTX Global so I need some suggestions for 3 more GA airports in the SoCal area (LA Basin?) area.  I also have a couple of back east airports that could be available I did for a friend and also KGCN, Grand Canyon National Park Airport that some folks might be interested in.  

These will be freeware and the new ones completed as I have time.  Any ideas?

Cheers, Neil" Q end.

psykie: both KSNA and KSBA are on my list but both are very big so it would be awhile before I get to them, if at all, but thanks for the suggestions.

Salamge: my list does include KCRQ, it's large but not too bad.  My wife says she used to watch the boat races down there, fond memories.

Rob: L52 looks great and would be quick to do and if I do a Santa Barbara area group it will be on top of my list.

FYI - It takes me about a day to do a medium sized airport and it's being done on my own time at no charge to John so it will be a little while before even these I'm doing now will be available.  Besides the logistics for getting these tested and into the ORBX releases hasn't been figured out yet.

Cheers, Neil

I actually dont understand why You/ORBX cant/wont take money for this "sparetime", i mean most Simmers on this Forum (at least) are ready/ willing to give leagal Dollers for a package like this. 

And there are many possibilyties, to help other, in the community. If you want.  You can donate to who You like, eg. "Batman" (Jay Kae) or others ....who have done a Hercules Job for free. ::)

Also You/ORBx cut do it as a Donation offer, You know "pay what you think its worth" or similar. ::)

Kind regards

Henrik

Btw. There is always a way to do thinks 8)

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your kind words.  These airports will be to the "enhanced" level, the same as I provide for the various ORBX areas I've worked on. They will not be "super" detailed but will be accurate and enjoyable (I hope) and miles better than default.  I can do these in between activities on the various areas I help with, when time is available, so I'm free to pick and choose which ones I work on and when they get done. I do get paid for my work on the various areas so think of this as a thank you for supporting ORBX and it's various activities.  With the release of FTX Global these airports will finally have a fitting backdrop to work in.

Cheers, Neil

Hi I try again (wasent good first time(eiter)).

I actually dont understand why You/ORBX cant/wont take money for this "sparetime", i mean most Simmers on this Forum (at least) are ready/ willing to give legal Dollers for a package like this. 

And there are many possibilyties, to help other, in the community. If you want.  You can donate to who You like, eg. "Batman" (Jay Kae) or Others ....who have done a Hercules Job for free.  ::)

Also You/ORBx cut do it as a Donation offer, You know "pay what you think its worth" or similar.  ::)

Kind regards

Henrik

Btw. There is always a way to do things  8)

BTW2. Its the best i can do, regarding English. :-

Hey Niel.

Thanks for the answar.

Good to hear, You get payed and i can also see that its not  "Full Fat Airports"  You are dooing . Mutch clearer now.

But im still sure, i will enjoy these Sceneryes, just as ive enjoy every other Niel/ORBx Scenerys ::)

Kind regards

Henrik

I have two in mind that I WOULD LOVE to see. KSNA Orange County/John Wayne Airport and KSBA Santa Barbara Airport. John Wayne airport is a great GA and commercial airport with a short runway. thanks Neil for asking

Hello,

There's a very good freeware John Wayne airport on Avsim that includes custom terminal and ground polys. 

Here's the link: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=mkstudios_johnwayne_fsx.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

mkstudios_johnwayne_fsx.zip on Avsim.

I don't understand this at all...did i miss something? Northern California is not out yet. .but you asking for airports in socal ...is this for FTXG? Or where do I buy this amazing scenery. .Is this going to be another Region?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY Note ll using Tapatalk

Yes, you may have missed that this is intended for FTXG.

I would like to second (or perhaps third or fourth) Catalina Island and Big Bear!

Oceano looks very nice as well, perhaps a bit less epic.

The airports will be for FTX Global.

Yes, Burbank looks like a nice airport.   ;D

Thanks Edward!! I did not see the entire topic headline on my phone :lol:  i read something like

"What SoCal airports for FTX " ???  :lol: 

Yes, you may have missed that this is intended for FTXG.

I would like to second (or perhaps third or fourth) Catalina Island and Big Bear!

Oceano looks very nice as well, perhaps a bit less epic.

???  ;)

Good morning all,

Sal - NCA questions should be another thread but I can say it is being actively worked, the airports are getting finishing touches and things are moving along.  Look for it towards the end of this year. 

This group of SoCal airports is moving along as well, 2 to finish, but it may take awhile to come up with a method of integrating them into the ORBX folder system.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for doing this, it's very kind of you. I have one airport I would like to add as an "Orbx" SoCal region release airport (Payware). I realize you're making smaller GA airfields and this field is too big for what you're seeking and would probably need special hangers. I'm just hoping you can get it on the "Orbx list" for SoCal when you guys get there. ;)

It's Chino airport. It has the Planes Of Fame museum and would be a great place for those of us who fly warbirds to fly out of every now and then.

Just the same, I like your list and will be looking forward to their release whenever you get the time to complete them.

Hi,

I'm excited to see how these turn out.  

I'm trying to educate myself on how to edit airports (besides just the basic stuff in ADE).  What tools do you use to make these airports?

Charlie Powell

Sundog,

There is a decent Chino that can be found on flightsim.com ( http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=14051934).

Charlie, I think Airport Design Editor (freeware) and the new Instant Scenery 3 (payware) are great tools to start with. If you want to design buildings then I recommend Sketchup. It's free, easy, fun to use. FSDeveloper.com has a forum dedicated to ADE and Sketchup. OZx.com is another great resource. Be careful, this stuff will suck you in, and you could disappear for months.

Todd

• 3 years later...

I see this kind of an old thread but, I would like to see Burbank's Bob hope re-created. Its an important airport in SoCal right on the edge of the Valley. Its not a big airport kind of small town but there is a lot of business jet and South West Airline traffic in and out. After seeing Catalina I think Orbx is the only one that could take this on and would dovetail very nicely with their SoCal scenery.

Just another one of many suggestions.....Mike

Archived