What is your dream Orbx area?

Skyroamer

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern CA is on my patiently waiting 'must get' list. Hopefully we will start seeing some preview pics from either SAK or NCA. Other regions I would love to see; American Southweset, Japan, Ireland, Caribbean, Alps countries, Himalayas. I woudn't worry about HD space, by the time FTX covers the world, HDs that large will be cheap. :)

Pleasing and surprising amount of votes for PNG!

dito.

I'm actually positively surprised... I always thought I was alone in the opinion that PNG would be the logical bush flying successor to AU and NZ in Oceania (esp. considering there is already a quite nice payware scenery for that).

This PNG clip is my all-time favourit flight video:

Just look at the third approach: clouds, mountains, a steep turn on extreme short final, uphill.... whoaaah!!!!

Natural progression: Alaska. Can't wait for their southern AK. Alaska is an awesome place to fly for GAers. That is why they made a TV show about it.

http://dsc.discovery...ing-wild-alaska

But dreamful areas:

#1 Florida Keys - so small but is fun in a floater and add the new Accu Feel for float planes and it would make it even funner. Since now there is a Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and the Islands of FlyTampa already done there are lots of places to fly in Florida.

#2 Hawaii. And have it work with FSDream airports. This is another small area. Heck Orbx could do it in a weekend......kidding.

That's really interesting that New Guinea has so many people speaking out for it...

One other region that came to my mind was the South American Andes region. From extreme high altitude takeoffs from Bogota to the fjordlands of Patagonia - with the occasional volcano in between... Those are the kind of landscapes that ORBX has already proven that they can do. Don't know if there are that many takers for this, but I have the feeling it would be quite something.

Cheers

Mallard

Incredible video!

Of course I could trust ORBX to cover the whole planet (and the Moon in case of a new NASA sim), but maybe the whole Carribbean area would also be a precious add-on... :)

+1

I'm sorry but i think Orbx FTX needs to stop developing the samething over and over in different places. I do not want to fly in jungles and mountains any more. With PNW i get every thing they got combine.

I wanna go island hopping in the carribean, something new. Please Orbx mix it up for a change, i want to see Beautiful beaches and coral reef while flying to the next and the next island.

Beautiful Puerto Rico

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ziqqi7SnPI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

That's really interesting that New Guinea has so many people speaking out for it...

One other region that came to my mind was the South American Andes region. From extreme high altitude takeoffs from Bogota to the fjordlands of Patagonia - with the occasional volcano in between... Those are the kind of landscapes that ORBX has already proven that they can do. Don't know if there are that many takers for this, but I have the feeling it would be quite something.

Cheers

Mallard

+1!!!

One more region suggestion (but that would be a hard one to realise): Indonesia. Thousands of islands with medium to small strips, can be split into parts like the UK (Java/Bali/Sumatra/Borneo and surrounding islands). But I have no idea how the rice-paddies could convincingly be brought to the slopes of the mountains for example in Java... I remember the flights between Jakarta and Bandung (where we lived back in the eighties) well, cooped up in overloaded Garuda Fokker F28s (but they were far better than the flights with Bouraq DC3s that more often than not had to be cancelled due to technical problems...) Shortly after leaving Jakarta the plane had to reach quite a bit of altitude rather quickly to make it over the mountains surrounding Bandung, just to drop down again as quickly to make it to the airport on this short hop.

And if there would be a seperate Sumatra-pack I would strongly pine for Singapore to be included. THE Qantas hub for international flights... ;)

Cheers

Mallard

In 2013 we will be releasing a FTX product that covers the entire world with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England and Wales. It won't be a perfect solution because it is textures only (no landclass, airports, POIs, or geodata), but it will cover the whole globe with Orbx so you never have to experience FSX default again.

It will include custom autogen, 3D lights and some custom trees as well, which will need an installer that manages some global files, but you will be able to uninstall it and revert to default FSX again if you wish.

I am testing an alpha build at the moment and I can promise you most of the places mentioned in this thread look beautiful covered in Orbx textures. I did a dusk flight over the south of France last week and to see all the 3D lights twinkling over villages and towns was magical

The price of this product (less than $200) will include free perpetual upgrades including a constant flow of upgraded airports at key locations around the world, for example Helsinki in Finland or Manila in the Phillipines. We are building a dedicated team of people who will do nothing but work on continual improvements, POIs and airports around the world. Additionally, as Orbx releases the much more detailed and sophisticated regions around the world, we will dip into the expanding texture pool to finesse the global product, all at no charge.

Stay tuned for the formal announcement in January along with many screenshots and some video footage.

If you can imagine your whole world covered in Orbx, you won't have to wait too much longer :)

Zero impact on regular regions Flinty since we're hiring new staff to make this product and we're using existing texture assets.

If anything in 2013 we will release more regular FTX regions than any year of our short history; South Alaska, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and Northern California as well. Our average release rate has been 1.75 regions per year; in 2013 it will be 5+

This has been a product I have wanted to release for quite some time but only now do we have the depth of textures to cover the globe in a semi-realistic manner.

In 2013 we will be releasing a FTX product that covers the entire world with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England and Wales. It won't be a perfect solution because it is textures only (no landclass, airports, POIs, or geodata), but it will cover the whole globe with Orbx so you never have to experience FSX default again.

That's a pretty good idea, if this makes Spain for example look more like Spain than a desert, then count me in. However, when you say will be under $200, I hope you don't mean $199.99 ;-). I'm looking forward to trying out the rest of the UK and also being able to fly across the channel :-)

I do mean $195.95 - we're not going to sell a product that contains five years' worth of our intellectual property and textures for $20. Sorry, that does not make any business sense at all. What we are giving customers is the whole world covered in Orbx textures which does a pretty good job until such time as we get around to the detailed products. In the meantime, consider the $195 like a "subscription" to continual improvements to the product including a constant flow of patches (perhaps once a month) to add new airports, features, textures etc.

It's an "Orbx Lite" for the whole world, with continual upgrades that will cost twice that of FTX Australia, but gives you the globe. Sounds like a bargain to me! :)

The whole world in ORBX(Lite)? That sounds really really really interesting! And the continuous improvement bit makes the price actually very reasonable indeed...

Looks like this will be an interesting year - and I might get to fly a PNG(Lite) after all ;)

Cheers

Mallard

To be honest the price is a bargain especially given we'll be putting people on staff to continually upgrade it. Think of this: if every Orbx customer purchased it there would be sufficient level of funding for further detailed regions, airports and new projects we've always wanted to do. Orbx is stifled by its inability to grow and build more content and this is the vehicle with which we can fund our growth moving forward.

Here's the debut sneak peek shot:

Posted Image

Well, my answer to the opening question would be that I go whereever Orbx is taking me :) For sure I would love to see Germany with special Orbx-treatment because it is known terrain for me but I am very happy with what I got till now. This way I got to see regions which were quite unfamiliar to me. But Orbx treatment even if to a smaller degree than those other regions sound awesome. Of course it is alot of money but I think it ll be worth it. I am really looking forward to this :)

EDIT: While I was writing JV uploaded this shot. That indeed looks promising :)

Sounds fair enough, if it includes continual updates and improvements to justify the price, then it will be worth it. I've often used the AUS region for example and thought that some of the textures would look good in areas like Spain and Southern Italy.

John if you don't mind answering now rather than the announcement, how will this work with something like UTX which places roads etc. Can we still have correct road placements with another package but have the OrbX textures and autogen?

Yes you can. Think of it as GEX on steroids. We only provide replacement textures with out own autogen buildings and trees and 3D lights (in the landclass textures, not roads) and then we'll add key airports to the package in the form of patches. So there is nothing to stop you adding other landclass or vector data addons to use with our textures.

Couple of more sneakies :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Big news indeed, this is what a lot of us have been waiting for, the 95% of the world thats been default-ugly finally covered in FTX texture goodness. Especially welcome in the desert areas like SW USA, where you just get the same texture everywhere now. And anywhere with mountains is going to look a million times better. I remember paying $199 for AUS SP3 and it was worth it- can't see how this wouldn't be.

I want all or Ireland, both Eire and Ulster, as an extension to the UK, then Switzerland, Germany and Austria

+1

Not only would that give us a physical flight continuity from the UK , but also it would give ORBX a massive

commercial success .

I think the UK sales volume has indicated where the interest lies .

Cheers

Karol

Love the new global announcement but seriously if you consider it a 'subscription' then why not go for a subscription model as this will smooth out your cash flow as well as make it more attractive to purchasers by moving it down the long tail.

For regions I'd like to see:

PNG

Central and South America

Middle East through to the Himalayan Plateau and surrounding region.

South East Asia

Oh man, that shot of Cork look stunning Jon, more so that I live less than 30 miles from the place and see it every day.

Where was the first shot though?

Can't quite figure it out.

Does this mean then that Ireland is off the radar for full FTX treatment?

Archived