What is your dream Orbx area?

Skyroamer

Oh man, that shot of Cork look stunning Jon, more so that I live less than 30 miles from the place and see it every day.

Where was the first shot though?

Can't quite figure it out.

Does this mean then that Ireland is off the radar for full FTX treatment?

Hi Tom, there is every intention to fully develop FTX Northern Ireland and the Republic using unique custom imagery sourced from aerial photography. SIM720 is under contract to do just that.

I've pulled those shots because it was using some custom landclass file which is technically "cheating" and not indicative of the end product. We have to resist creating vast amounts of custom landclass because it broadens the purpose of this product. If we use custom landclass it needs to be properly managed and fit in with FTX. The world is a vast place and if we go down the custom landclass road we may be creating a rod for our own backs.

It is still very early days in the project and we don't have an alpha build yet, just something on my PC which I am experimenting with. There are all sort of considerations to take into account, least of which is how it plays friendly with existing Orbx FTX regions and other 3rd party products.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic news...Count me in for a purchase!

Be great if it was shipped on a "ORBX Style" USB Flash drive or even an SSD, it will surely be a huge amount of data!

USB could also be a dongle license protection key, to prevent piracy on such an expensive package (a bit like an autocad dongle)

Can't wait to get my hands on this...the future for my Flight simming suddenly looks like it has direction and purpose for years to come.

While I am still very eager for NCA, that Global region really sounds great John. That means I can fly to places like Japan or Ireland, or the desert southwest. I take regions like NCA and SAK are still on schedule. So then say Global is released after then. I take it further planned regions such as SRM, SCA would be added 'on top' of the existing global scenery. Those regions would require less time to create because of the already existant global scenery. Makes sense. I would rather pay one larger chunk of change for a global region, then pick and choose to pay smaller bits for the custom stuff developed later of areas that I wish to fly.

Cheers

TJ

Yeah you guys get it - it's not a substitute for a full-fat FTX region with all the intensive land class and geospatial data work with unique textures. It's "Orbx Lite" for the whole planet which means you see familiar textures across the globe without ever needing to switch.

It's not the most elegant solution but geez it looks beautiful and you'll never fly FSX default ever again.

you'll never fly FSX default ever again.

Best bit of the info as far as I'm concerned Jon.

I almost gave up on FSX after seeing the default textures, I found the PNW scenery demo and never looked back thanks to you guys.

I can't wait for NCA to come out. I would also like to see Hawaii, the US Southwest and the Iberian Peninsula.

I would be more than happy to fork over the money for FTX Global while the FTX regions I want are developed.

Looking forward to those Hawaii screenshots....

So cool! I asked about this many times, and now my dream has come true! Just imagine all the great freeware scenery that will now be possible since all the world will have great textures and autogen objects! This is a product that to me looks like 50% of FS11. Thank you very much!

One last question, will there be a P3D version?

So cool! I asked about this many times, and now my dream has come true! Just imagine all the great freeware scenery that will now be possible since all the world will have great textures and autogen objects! This is a product that to me looks like 50% of FS11. Thank you very much!

One last question, will there be a P3D version?

I believe Orbx staff has stated many times that all Orbx sceneries/products will be P3D compliant. The question with regards to Orbx is rather moot. They support Prepar3D.

This looks amazing and I can't wait for it.. but my biggest question is performance impact. Will we see something akin to other Orbx areas? Take PNW for example. While beautiful, my FPS drops significantly down from around 35-40 in default to 10-15 in higher density areas. Would this sort of drop be expected worldwide considering the autogen and other enhancements?

John,

This is great to hear. This fits us tubeliners. No more switching between regions. I kind of gave up on FTX a bit with no more big airports and not having the same detail of scenery from take off to touch down. Looking forward to buying many more scenery from u and your great and talented staff.

Thanks again

Yep. That price is well worth it for what you are getting. One thing you can never say about Orbx is that they "Release & Run". The products are always being upgraded so the $195 or so price tag is definitely not out of line at all.

I'm hoping that northern regions would still have ice on the lakes in winter however; or allow UTX access to freeze them on our schedule (actually, maybe the better way to do it, assuming that's not a logistical nightmare for the rest of the programming).

This is good news indeed, and count me in too.

Glenn

ok - I am officially not buying any more Photo scenery. Is there any idea of how much disk space this would cost ?

Also - will there be a try and buy demo ?

5GB. Why would you need a demo? Any current FTX region consists of the same textures, so it should show you all you need?

Now mr. Venema, how much will I have to pay Holger to get an updated Landclass table with screenshots? :)

Wow this thread sure exploded given the announcement as I went to bed last night.

JV again thanks for the continued open door policy with ORBX's future direction. FTX Global looks to be a winner & with region releases not being effected I'm sold on all fronts.

Now I'm off to restructure the finances given 5 region releases & FTX Global on the horizon for 2013.

This is absolutely awesome! Will be interested to see what the great plains looks like. If it is as good as the agricultural textures from the FTX regions it'll be amazing.

This is the most excited I've been about FSX since the PMDG NGX was released. 8)

I don't live anywhere near, but sure fly there in the sim... Florida, Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico. Or any scenery that will help fund future development of the Bahamas region, 'cause they're all good anyway.

I can just imagine how cool little sand runway airstrips with overgrown light green vegetation and swaying palm fronds in the trees would look from Orbx. It's seaplane heaven down there. Imagine how cool that area wood look using a boat in the sim.

Archived