Another idea for a cockpit

tuisong

I have "fiddled" with flight simulator since it was just a series of green lines back in the 1980’s. As each new version has been released and become more complex and realistic, the more time I spent using it and upgrading everything, you know how it goes. And with the release of FSX my desk became a mess of screens and controls.

Posted Image

With the encouragement of my very supportive wife, I bit the bullet and decided to build a cockpit. (Photos follow)

Of course the first step was to search the net to get as much information as I could. Now I know that there are some really fantastic home cockpits out there, and as I investigated screens, projectors, how best to build curves, what type of aircraft to base it on etc. etc. It struck me that;

A: I don't want to spend years (getting a bit old for that) or vast amounts of money building it, and

B: nor did I want to restrict myself to one type of aeroplane. I love to fly low and slow, though I like light twins as well, up to about the size of a King Air.

While I started out drawing up plans and trying to get all technical, it soon became all to much for me and they went in the bin. In the end the planning all centred around the purchase of two near new car seats ($50 each), some pieces of chalk (for drawing on the garage floor) and bits of cardboard (for mock-ups). By using standard sizes of MDF, (to save some cutting), I ended up with a 1.5 x 1.9 x 1.9 m box in the garage. Who wants to look at the outside, after all flying is what its' about for me.

As I did not spend too much on the outside I was able to indulge on the things that count. Inside, the main screen is a 42 inch HD TV. (A lot cheaper than a monitor) This gives me a good size to display most of the instruments of which ever type I'm using and a good outside view. Combined with an IR tracker this gives a very realistic experience. Above there are three 20 inch monitors all run through a Matrox TripleHead2Go, which are used for GPS, overhead panels, ATC and anything else I may want. I had used the Matrox TripleHead2Go for the desk top screens, but I did not really Like the way it cut the top and bottom off the picture.

I replaced my CH controls with Precision Flight Controls' Beech style yoke with the digital clock, turboprop 6-lever throttle quadrant with G/A button and their Cirrus rudder pedals. The extra cost was money well spent indeed. Also installed is a B206 twist dent collective, and by undoing two screws (the type used to attach a bedhead) the yoke can be removed and the handle of the cyclic attached (with two bolts) to its controller in the floor. Then we can fly helicopters in a matter of minutes. My trim wheel cost about US$49 from Desktop Aviator (steve41053@netscape.com), so now very accurate trim is achievable. You have to make your own mounting for it, but I think it is one of the best controls I have.

Now what drives this? Well the PC Pilot magazine has been a massive help in this regard. Being totally confused by all the online articles, I was at the point of despair, when issue 69 arrived. In answer to a readers question they gave their recommendations. Which combined with the tutorial "A Beginners Guide to Flight Simulator" in issue 70, gave me all the information I needed. So off I go to my 'computer man'. Result? I am extremely pleased. I run 'REX2' and 'orbex' (can't wait for the rest of NZ), with just about every slider at max with great results.

While there is no way you could say that my set up is realistic when compered to those built by some very dedicated and talented people (who I take my hat off to), it is something that anyone who can use glue, a saw, hammer and screwdriver could put together quite quickly and cheaply. And with a little imagination get completely engrossed in another world.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The well is so the rudder pedals sit flush with the floor. (And no the under carriage is not retractable).

Posted Image

There was a lot of fiddling around to work out the correct position for the seats. I used measurements from a C172 as a base line.

Posted Image

The seats are not evenly spaced. This was so I was sitting in the correct position in relation to the screen.

It also gave me room for a collective.

Posted Image

Next the first sheets went on the sides.

Posted Image

Then the front panel ( the hole is for an extractor fan). And both sides at the rear. These gave me support for attaching more panels to the side. The cardboard is the size of the screen and was used to work out its exact position.

Posted Image

With the position for the screen worked out, everything else had to fit in around it. (What you call making it up as you go along).

Posted Image

Then the sides, just panels glued on top of each other. The door is offset to make use of the standard panel sizes.

Posted Image

The roof goes on. Note that cardboard again.

Posted Image

The top bracket for the screen and then another front panel.

Posted Image

Starting to partition the “electronics bay” (that sounds fancy). The fan is just an old desk fan modified so its controls are next to the pilot. The notch is to allow access to the screen controls. Glad Wrap is very handy for placing between a glued joint and any block of wood put between the joint and the clamp.

Posted Image

This shelf and its arm are attached by two bedhead bolts, with the nuts glued to the back of the screen support. It is to hold the yoke which is held in place with Velcro. (Wonderful stuff.)

Posted Image

This brace is to support the arm and hold it in place without having to use anything other than the weight of the yoke.

Posted Image

All closed in. The arrowed panel lifts up to allow access to the “electronics bay”. And the other arrow shows the air-vent for the computer.

Posted Image

Once the cyclic and collective arrived........

Posted Image

….I realised I hadn’t allowed enough room, depth wise, and had to set about modifying the floor. (I did say I was making it up as I went along).

TIP - get all your controls before you start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is to support the top of the screens. It lifts out and allows them to swing down on their brackets.

Posted Image

Making somewhere for the throttle quadrant to sit. Again it’s held in position with Velcro. Where ever I could I used scrap bits of wood.

Posted Image

Nearly ready to fit out.

Posted Image

It is a bit messy in here and I have been asked why I didn’t make a wiring loom. Been there done that. It looks great, until you have to replace something. Keep it simple I say.

Posted Image

My first layout. Note how much the yoke obscures the screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ready for rotary flight. Note the two bedhead bolts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is how I have it set up at the moment. However, this could change of course. When I first put the yoke in I had to change the entry positions of the cables, they went in the back. This made it stick out too much. So, to the sides they went. You can see that I have now had the casing modified so that it no longer covers the screen. ($245 to get that done?) I bet that’s my guarantee gone too.

Posted Image

While I have speakers, I normally only use the headphones for diplomatic reasons. I allowed lots of headroom too. It will get very handy the older and less agile I get. (It's handy now)

Posted ImagePosted Image

To save wiring it for lights, I have a glass panel (salvaged from house renovations) in the roof and a old florescent tube hanging from the garage ceiling. The glass is fixed at a slight angle, not flush with the roof. This creates a gap for ventilation. The fan draws in air down the back of the screens and out. The fan also helps the air flow through the computer. Believe me when I say it can get quite hot in there with the fan off.

Posted Image

So this is it from the outside. The colour scheme was dictated by what leftover paint I had laying around. The windows are that sticky stuff kids cover their school books with.

Posted Image

The sign was made for me by my five year old grandson.

Posted Image

It says it all really.

So now I can shut myself in my relatively inexpensive little box with no distractions, and be a very happy little simmer.

While I’m not talented enough to design anything like the freeware (or any ware) aircraft or scenery that is so generously shared by others, and which has given me so much enjoyment. I hope that by posting this, and just maybe giving someone a bit of an idea or planting that seed so to speak, and they say “ Hay! I can do that!), I have given a little back to the Flight Sim community.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger, congratulations on an excellent presentation and really a very well designed Sim Pit. Another good thing if you ever decide to relocate it will be a simple matter to wheel out of the garage and load on the truck.

I have spent the last couple of days scouring the Web looking at the very same flight sim hardware that you have.

I will need a bigger room because I use 3x94cm screens, and I will have to build mine in the office.

I just have to get the courage to tell my wife that I intend to enclose it, but again most of the wives of our forum members seem to be understanding ::) ::)::)

Have fun and enjoy your completed Sim, but I can see Air conditioning coming.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Great cockpit, mate.

I take that as a great complement coming from you Frank. I follow your thread with a great deal of interest.

Well now, that is what I would call 'desirable'. Be nice to hear how that PFC yoke is, and also to see some video of the whole thing in action...

Mark, I just love this yoke. It is well made and has the feel of the real thing. In my humble opinion it is well worth its price. If you are thinking of getting one, the only thing I would suggest is that you are sitting down when you are quoted the freight price. I think they usually ship with FedEx, but if you ask they may use USPS which is a bit cheaper, though it takes longer. Unfortunately, I can lay my hand on the invoice. Their pedals cost $US175, and the throttle quadrant $US135 to ship. But I can truthfully say they are well worth saving for. (I waited years and years :mellow: )

As for a video, I have only just got the hang of screen shots :-[

Hi Roger,

Hopefully you, your family, your house and your new Flight Sim have survived the recent storms and floods in your area. Last thing we would want to hear about after you building a fine looking machine is a storm coming through and damaging things.

Keep Safe Mate

Bravo, Roger!!

Nice to see the progress through your regular photos ... keep them coming!

Are you going to link the 2 sets of pedals & yokes?

David

No David, I was planning on using my old CH controls to do that, for my grandchildren to fly with me. However, in the end I didn't think it was worth it. I just let them take control and sit beside them (or anyone else who wants to have a go) to give advice. Which, at their age I'm sure they really don't want.(the most common question is "Is there anything that will go faster?).

I really like the fixed wing/rotary approach. Rare to see such a homebuilt cater to both. Nice work.

How is heat generation with those monitors in the enclosed cabin?

Hi Dan, in the summer it can get quite hot. The only thing I know about electronics is where to plug in the leads, and I can get that wrong too. I think most of the heat is created by the computer and the large screen. Though when things are not going right I think I create more heat than everything else. With the extractor fan I can keep everything, and me at a comfortable temperature. And having the controls next to me makes regulating it easy. It's not pretty :ph34r: but it is functional

Posted Image

Hi Roger,

Hopefully you, your family, your house and your new Flight Sim have survived the recent storms and floods in your area. Last thing we would want to hear about after you building a fine looking machine is a storm coming through and damaging things.

Keep Safe Mate

Thanks Matthew, We live on a ridge, an old larva flow, so thankfully the one thing we don't have to worry about is flooding. :D Our biggest worry is wind. If it blows we get it. :(

I guess you couldn't "gestimate" a price for the whole project Roger?

I know it's a bit personal.. but for us who are also on a pension it might

help us to decide if it's worth doing.

You've achieved a hell of a lot though.. and it looks great.

Cheers

Hank

FDantastic job. I only have a small flat and I would not mhave your tech skills anyway, but if I ever win the lottery I will fly you over to build me one in my new place! Really impressive job, would look nice in NAC paintjob!

"I guess you couldn't "gestimate" a price for the whole project Roger?"

No I don't mind at all Hank. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, it's just that it took some time to go through the invoices and work out. Please note that with some the items I purchased from overseas the exchange rate was quite different to that of today. There are also fright and coustoms charges added. And some items were use from my old setup, so their price could be quite diferant now.

So with that in mind:

To do the woodwork + seats $1100

Primary flight controls $3665

Other cotrols - MPC, trim, switch panel $1616

Computer, external HD, USB hubs $3100

Screens, Matrox, IRtracker $3490

Total in $NZ $12971

Paint, carpet, fan and a few odds and end I had laying around.

I hope this is helpful to you. :)

I guess you couldn't "gestimate" a price for the whole project Roger?

I know it's a bit personal.. but for us who are also on a pension it might

help us to decide if it's worth doing.

You've achieved a hell of a lot though.. and it looks great.

Cheers

Hank

Hank the answer is @ #24

• 2 weeks later...

Can your grand kids also do their homework in there? :unsure: Congratulation Roger a truly inspiring job. You are lucky to have the support of your wife. Does she ever see you now?

They would rather be in there than doing homework. Yes boetie, I am very lucky to have support. And yes she sees a lot of me. I have my priorities in the right order :wub: It may sound strange, but if she is home I always ask if she minds if I have a fly. Never said no yet. :)

"Fright" charges? ;D Just how expensive IS NZ these days!

It's not NZ charges Cathy, (you must know NZ is the best pace in the world to live >:D >:D>:D ) It's mainly from the good old US Postal Service :( . Take an example of a little thing like a CD/DVD without the plastic case. We can send one to the States Airmail for $NZ3.50 they charge, just for the postage, $NZ11.76 for standard USPS two to four weeks (The last one I got from PilotShop took eight) or $NZ29.96 for FedEx. So you can imagine the cost of heavy metal controls. :'(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your honesty in telling us the "gestimated" cost.... it is well out of my price range I'm afraid.

I've got to keep saving my pennies to keep buying these ORBX products as they come available.

It is becoming quite expensive; however I want to see the business survive and prosper. I just think

the developers are magicians with all the things they come up with. Truly amazing.

So are you Roger; all the best with your flying.

Cheers

Hank

Thanks for your honesty in telling us the "gestimated" cost....

Cheers

Hank

You are more than welcome Hank.

ORBX ... however I want to see the business survive and prosper. I just think

the developers are magicians with all the things they come up with. Truly amazing.

I do too.

Thanks for your honesty in telling us the "gestimated" cost.... it is well out of my price range I'm afraid.

I have to be honest here Hank, it would have been out of my price range too. However my mum passed away and left me a half share of her house. Once this sold I put some of the proceeds into the cockpit.

Consequently I now change all the registrations to ZK-MUM, so I never forget she paid for most of it. A little sentimental but there it is.

Archived