This Week's Meaningless Topic (#195)(May 29)

Hi all. Study-level planes intimidate me. To spend a month figuring out how to flick each switch asks more than I can offer. To require that I do a walk-around before every flight, program a flight computer, turn off the seatbelt sign at the right time, and carefully monitor oil temperature is too much to ask of me. My planes are the simplified ones. I just like to hit ctrl+E and go have fun. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How sophisticated in detail do you require your flight sim planes to be?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I like it as realistic as possible.  As noted in an earlier post, I use realistic procedures as much as possible.  I do have my limits.  Although the M20M Bravo is considered a "complex single" it's not in the league of an A320, B737, or for that matter, a TBM.  Although there are payware models of the newer Moonies that may be more "study level" I am forced to stay with the default model for two reasons: the software for the Saitek FIPs is for the Bravo.  The ASI, engine and fuel gauges for the other models don't match.  Also, the newer models have Garmin 1000 or similar "glass cockpits" and I prefer "steam gauges" with the addition of Garmin G5 PFD (which I'm still learning) and the 530 and 430 GPS.  That's enough "glass" for me.  So the default Mooney "Bravo" it is.  And though it may not be technically  "study level"  it conforms closely to the specs in the POH. Of course features I built into my cockpit and operated through SPADnext, RealityXP and FSUIPC add realism not otherwise possible. And it also prepared me well to fly my friend's Piper Comanche.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

for me it really depends on time and if I'm in the mood, lately I have been flying a lot less and when I do fly if I am using an airline it tends to be an Airbus, mostly because I know how they work more than Boeing, however I am making a point of wanting to learn the PMDG 737 series......as a tester for JF I spent many an hour learning all procedures etc for their planes from Vulcan to Piper from 146 to Fokker, I've taken a break from that now and I am just flying for fun, the one thing though I always turn off is failures as this doesn't interest me in the slightest as I am not a real pilot and don't really need to learn that stuff, I actually use all 3 sims for fun....

fair play to anyone that does do it all correctly and check everything, I know it is very satisfying when everything comes together and you have a great session..

last year I got the CL650 for Xplane, never flown it, one reason because they don't include a tutorial but also because it's supposed to be one of the best simulated planes on the market with failures etc I have found it quite intimidating and haven't bothered....wasted my money really....

mostly though I am happy flying Asobo bus with GSX and FSHUD and live weather....I'm a simple man with simple FS needs...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

When I fly VFR (meaning sightseeing, meaning MSFS), I am more or leass satisfied with the default plane level. Okay, I needed to add some more exotic planes and recently even an A2A one to the hangar (I have to learn the A2A now).

When I fly jets I was always disappointed with the default system (including airports and especially ATC). Jets must be as real as it gets for me. Yes, challenging, but also rewarding to me. That said, I still use P3D in most of these cases (though the scenery shocks me, meanwhile). 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

CTRL, E does it for me also a flight plan.

Half the other things I wouldn't know where

to find.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

My plan is to get out of that thing in one piece and grab a few cold ones and a bite to eat. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I usually only fly 2 planes - The default Mooney Bravo for low and slow and the I Fly 737-700. The Mooney is easy to fly and enough for sightseeing - Usually use the mini panel to give a bigger view of the world. The 737 is more complex but I have help (FS2Crew) to set up and follow check lists. I like the navigation challenge but usually fly on autopilot for most of the flight (except take off and landing). I also like the 2d panel as you can see everything in one view without scrolling around the screen. As for the exterior model - I don't really care as I am in the cockpit the whole time.

Larry

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

After spending 100+ hours in a 737-700 Level D simulator (many thanks to Southwest Airlines) I could care less about the details on my flight sims. I just hop in a Cessna 182RG  and fly away

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I've decided when I eventually retire I am going to keep my brain engaged by learning a complex aircraft. Until then it's mainly ctrl E. When that day comes watch out! I'm going to bore you with my knowledge that you ctrl E mere mortals don't/won't possess. You've been warned.

:)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

It'll probably be the B747. This Captain was born in Zimbabwe like me. I follow/subscribe to his channel. He's done so well! I love his flying snippets. I've learnt so many little, important things from his uploads . He covers everything and dumbs it down for us mere mortals :) Highly recommend his channel if you want to keep it simple 

Cheers 

Graeme :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 6

this week I have had 3 days where I was able to fly, just couldn't be bothered!....am I ill? should I seek therapy?.....some interesting posts above.....I don't think there's a right way, just enjoy yourselves...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

this week I have had 3 days where I was able to fly, just couldn't be bothered!....am I ill? should I seek therapy?.....some interesting posts above.....I don't think there's a right way, just enjoy yourselves...

I have days like that Wayne. On these occasions I just "potter" on my PC and do maintenance and tweaking etc.

I did do a flight today in the default 320 from Gold Coast to Sydney with default ATC. I think sim update 15 has far improved ATC. Flight was flawless. (MSFS2020)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

I'm like you as well Wayne. For something so simple I start a 

flight, then become bored and watch sport or youtube.

I just have those days like everyone I think.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I'm like you as well Wayne. For something so simple I start a 

flight, then become bored and watch sport or youtube.

I just have those days like everyone I think.

cheers

Gumby

I can only look out the dam window or sit on the wing so long until I hear my frig calling. 😄

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, wain71 said:

Jeez, Wayne, only three days? Not 24/7? What's wrong with you, man? Oh, wait a minute, that's more than I flew last week. Oh well, never mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Jeez, Wayne, only three days? Not 24/7? What's wrong with you, man? Oh, wait a minute, that's more than I flew last week. Oh well, never mind.

Saturday I had a good 5 or 6 hours free after taking mum to cemetery (I did bring her back) and shops, girls had gone to a Baby shower (you may have to google) could have done a nice flight but instead sorted out the back of my van and watched some motor racing on the TV, last flight was 16th May.....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wain71 said:

Saturday I had a good 5 or 6 hours free after taking mum to cemetery (I did bring her back) and shops, girls had gone to a Baby shower (you may have to google) could have done a nice flight but instead sorted out the back of my van and watched some motor racing on the TV, last flight was 16th May.....

And all that time you could have sat in a chair staring at a screen and mumbling zoom zoom. :D

• Haha 2