Loading time for MSFS

Can you guys tell me how long it takes for you to load up MSFS. My system is sooo slow, and I'm wondering if it's because we are now having to load up MSFS with more programs MS has installed. It now takes my system 22 minutes to fully load.

Thanks Don

• Like 1

Don I find mine probably takes between 8 and 12 minutes to load to the screen where you chose the world map, than maybe 2 minutes to load up the flight....not sure why it takes so long, I have to have FSUIPC for an app I use and that I thought was the reason it takes so long, I don't really know what else would be loading prior to you choosing your flight....I will say though my XBOX X loads me to the world map screen in half the time.....22 minutes though does seem rather long....

I normally fire up any apps, Pilots Life, Volanta, FSHUD and Navigrapgh charts, then start the sim and then go and make a brew whilst it does the initial load, habit I have gotten in to and seems to stop me sitting watching the blue line...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Don,

I have all of the MSFS World and City updates installed. For this test I have about 200 addons in my Community folder.  It is my first load of MSFS for the day. My computer is 10 years old but my network upload and download speed is usually 250 Megabits per second.  It took 3 minutes for me to get from Desktop to the Welcome Screen on my PC.  Then after selecting a stock C172 Skyhawk, clear weather and runway 34R at KSEA where I have Orbx BMWorld+Amsim's KSEA Airport and Orbx Drzewiecki's Seattle Landmarks and KBFI Boeing Field (which is only a few miles away) installed as well as GAIST ULTRA VERSION 3 shipping active, it takes another minute and 30 seconds to load the scene.  So, total time from Desktop to being ready to takeoff at Seattle is less than 5 minutes fore this test.

It is important to note that I suppress the MSFS startup splash screens on startup which saves a little time.  Also, the MSFS "checking updates" procedure only took 5 seconds this time.  That is not always true sometimes it can take much longer. Also if network speed is slow for some reason or Microsoft's servers are being slow it can take significantly longer.  

Rod 

Edited by stiletto2
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

i5 7600K PC here, and it takes about 5.5 minutes for MSFS to get to the main screen (1TB NVme M2 drive). I have all of the world and city updates installed, and around 80 airport addons.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply's guys, gives me something to compare with. My loading time was not as bad as it is right now before the latest update, but since then it went from bad to real bad. After SU14 I got the stutters and freezing periodically, so went looking for a fix and got the advice to clear all my cache's, which I did, didn't help much.  Win 11 seems to work okay, so it has to be a MSFS issue. I  been told I would be better off running MSFS on a  separate which I might end up doing, but thought I'd wait until the release  of the new version. I dont how that works, but I assume you have to have the current version before you can update to the new one.  Have to dig a bit deeper to see how that will work. Thanks for your input.

Don

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Hi Don,

I have all of the MSFS World and City updates installed. For this test I have about 200 addons in my Community folder.  It is my first load of MSFS for the day. My computer is 10 years old but my network upload and download speed is usually 250 Megabits per second.  It took 3 minutes for me to get from Desktop to the Welcome Screen on my PC.  Then after selecting a stock C172 Skyhawk, clear weather and runway 34R at KSEA where I have Orbx BMWorld+Amsim's KSEA Airport and Orbx Drzewiecki's Seattle Landmarks and KBFI Boeing Field (which is only a few miles away) installed as well as GAIST ULTRA VERSION 3 shipping active, it takes another minute and 30 seconds to load the scene.  So, total time from Desktop to being ready to takeoff at Seattle is less than 5 minutes fore this test.

It is important to note that I suppress the MSFS startup splash screens on startup which saves a little time.  Also, the MSFS "checking updates" procedure only took 5 seconds this time.  That is not always true sometimes it can take much longer. Also if network speed is slow for some reason or Microsoft's servers are being slow it can take significantly longer.  

Rod 

Thanks Rod, your system sounds a lot quicker than mine. 

• Like 1

I think the bloated Community folder is the culprit, I have the same experience. Like Wayne I’ll brew a cuppa or organise my beers for the anticipated flight/s while the sim organises itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not quick. Probably eight minutes to the main menu, another five to get to "fly." And two minutes actually be ready to take off. I've used the wait-time to study Sanskrit and nuclear physics. Getting a double Ph.D next week.

• Haha 3

Eight to ten minutes to get to the point where you are in the cockpit is comparable to what I get with P3D6.  I fold laundry or clean the cat box while waiting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I use MSFS Add-Ons Linker to minimize the number of add-ons to be started. Unfortunately, in order to have OrbxCentral working well, I have to leave all Orbx-bought add-ons always active.

It takes me 2.5 minutes to get to the main menu. And, after configuration, another 30 seconds until ready to start. Therefore I am basically in the area of Rod @stiletto2.

Sounds as if I am lucky.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2024 at 4:33 AM, Bullfox said:

Eight to ten minutes to get to the point where you are in the cockpit is comparable to what I get with P3D6.  I fold laundry or clean the cat box while waiting.

Good thinking mate, I have three cat boxes, so should have plenty of time. 😀

• Haha 1