This Week's Meaningless Topic (#169)(Dec 1)

[NOTE: thanks to all for the pats on the back last week. Coming from this bunch of rascals, they mean the world to me. Much appreciated! RP]

Hi all. As we move into the busiest season of the year, flight simming can take on a special role. It can allow us to take a break from the hustle and demand and have a few minutes in the serenity of an aerial getaway. I, for example, like to fly from the Tacoma Narrows airport southwest of Seattle down to Troutdale just east of Portland, Oregon. The short trip parallels the Cascades and the Olympics and shows off most of the volcanoes sprouting from the mountain ranges. Beautiful and peaceful! And that brings up this week's topic.

WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Suggest a short VFR flight in your home territory that would be relaxing to fly while also showing us a bit of where you live.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Because I like the ATC service of PilotEdge, I haven't flown the SIM in my home area for a few years. Rather I've been out on the West Coast, spending more time in Rodger's area than my own.  So I'll do both.

For my virtual flying world, I'll say a flight to Catalina Island (KAVX) from either Santa Barbara (KSBA) or Palm Springs (KPSP).  The first is mostly over water, and so not such interesting scenery.  The second has to deal with overlapping Bravo (LAX) and Charlie (SNA) airspace, but at 6500 feet its below the shelf of the first, and above the second.  Beautiful scenery, fairly relaxed, and approaching the Island is spectacular. (But I've still never seen the buffalo).

From where I live, near KFRG, I'd again choose a flight to an island.  In this case there are a few good choices, Block Island (KBID), Martha's Vineyard (KMVY), or Nantucket (KACK). At this time of year these are all very sleepy destinations since all the tourists have gone home.  I'll choose Nantucket.  Indeed, I'm planning on a real world flight with my friend Bill in his Comanche in the next few weeks.  

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

well though this is in no way local it was my first Orbx purchase and I still love to fly out low and slow, KORS or Orcas Island, I remember seeing the whale swimming around for the first time and was amazed, so out from there and off in any direction, and really anytime of the year......

locally maybe a route around part of the Republic of Ireland, fly to Cork in the A320, see the relations and then something light and follow the M22 across to Killarney and then over to Tralee Bay, follow up around to the Shannon Estuary leading into Shannon Airport, then maybe hop on to another A320 back home......

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My suggestion would be to start in my home airport, EDDV. Then turn a little south for a city tour. Turn west and follow the railway line passing ETNW (Wunstorf Airbase) and ETHB (Buckeburg Army) before descending towards the river Weser. The lower you pass the Porta gate between the mountains, the better. And the easier to land on Orbx´ airport Porta Westfalica EDVY. Which is near the place where I work.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 11/30/2023 at 10:58 PM, gumbypickett said:

Hobart down to the far South West of the state.

Very remote an unable to access, except by air looking down.

Tassie Tiger territory. (maybe):huh:

cheers

Gumby

On the tracks of Deny King to YBHB Bathurst "International". What a great location, no doubt difficult to reach in real life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 11/30/2023 at 6:32 AM, John Heaton said:

At the time of my "busiest time of the season" - I need to take a circular flight around the roof tops of my beautiful Gold Coast - starting from 

Southport YSPT

At that speed 'Santa John' you'd better set off now if you are going to deliver my presents by Christmas morning :lol:

Great video :)

All the best,

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to think about this one.

Lucky enough to live in a really nice part of the world - about a mile from Scone EGPT so I'd start there (nearest Orbx airport is Dundee).

Many have started their flying training there - I once met a couple of pilot's with Singapore airlines visiting to show their wives where it all began. One was now a 777 captain, the other an A380 captain.

Anyway lots of nice options but to relax I'd head over to the West coast to EGPO North Connel.

Going direct is lovely but, with a bit of time, I'd take a slightly round about route.

A few POI's from GB North along the route - a pleasant change from all the noise and bother going on down South :lol:

Just North of Perth is Scone Palace (I'll not mention pronunciations again!) the ancient coronation place of the Kings of Scotland.

Heading north up the river Tay you fly across the true northern boundary of the Roman Empire. Forget Hadrian's Wall - they built that when they were retreating!

At Dunkeld the terrain changes - you just crossed the Highland Boundary fault and head on past Pitlochry.

Turn left and, in the words of the song, 'by Tummel and Loch Rannoch and Lochaber I will go'.

It's actually worth heading north through Killiecrankie and up to Blair Castle near EGQI before turning left!

Anyway head along Loch's Tummel and Rannoch passing the mountain Schiehallion where contour lines were first used as part of the first experiment to measure the mass of the Earth by Nevil Maskelyne back in 1774. It's also a great viewpoint.

Beyond Loch Rannoch pass Rannoch Station on the West Highland line (one of the great railway journeys) and head across Rannoch Moor with the hills of the Blackmount and Glencoe ahead.

Turn half right and head down Glencoe (rightly famous for both it's history and scenery) to reach the west coast at Loch Leven.

Pass over the Ballachulish Bridge and head South down Loch Linnhe with the hills of the Isle of Mull in the distance to reach your destination.

Here's an idea of the route in LNM.

MyFlight.thumb.jpg.970a4fc6b377f01e1dba32fd8c2e6aeb.jpg

Once there the West Highlands and Islands are a wonderful place to explore.

Round Mull, take a look at Iona and Staffa (think Fingal's Cave) then up to Skye - the possibilities are endless.

Getting carried away a bit. Just lucky to live in a part of the world I love :)

I mentioned Dunkeld. Had a walk up a wee hill there yesterday.

A bit of a winter wonderland really.

P1090259.thumb.JPG.f1f6175635289d38479d4dc028e9a34e.JPG

All the best,

John

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, John Burgess said:

Perfect John - just drop them down the chimney ;)

0.76nm on a bearing of 062 magnetic from the PTH VOR :lol:

All the best,

John

Actually - I meant the LM file for the flight plan you recommended - nowt to do with my Santa trips:rolleyes:

• Like 1