The Battle Of Britain (1969)

adambar

Battle of Britain" re-creates with incredible detail the greatest air battle in history, when the outnumbered British Royal Air Force defied insurmountable odds and fought off the overwhelmingly powerful German Luftwaffe at the beginning of World War II, saving England from invasion. Featuring an outstanding cast, including Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Michael Redgrave, Harry Andrews and Robert Shaw, this epic tale illuminates the courage shown by outnumbered men during a pivotal moment in the most destructive war in human history.

• Like 2

one day in 1962 - 2 fellow employees and i were driving somewhere in the south of England - i cant remember where exactly -

but we were heading for Norwich - when 3 fighter aircraft came screaming at us over our heads - and one bloke said 

they were Messerschmitt's - we agreed - and we stopped the car and watched them circle around and lowered the undercarts

and landed in a field out of sight to our right.

:)

• Like 3

can't watch this but what a true classic, I actually watched this a few weeks ago on a satellite tv channel...I remember watching it for the first time over the Christmas period when I was a kid, lots of family around, the blokes watching this and the women were all in the kitchen chatting..

• Like 1

Remember watching the film way back when.

In terms of reality it's my parents generation and definitely a moment in history to be proud of.

Some proper, unsung, heroes out there.

I suspect Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Michael Redgrave, Harry Andrews and Robert Shaw et al weren't among them but they did a hell of a job representing them!

All the best,

John

• Like 2

Here is an alternative Battle of Britain, appears to be assembled from original footage of the time, showing what we Brits went through at that time.

The frustrations of Adolf Hitler and his henchmen, and lots of interesting facts.

None more so than explaining Winston Churchills phrase "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few",

https://youtu.be/V74GV98xpoA

• Like 2