This Week's Meaningless Topic (#161)(October 6)

Hi all. When I was a kid, I loved the goodies you could order from the backs of comic books -- sea monkeys, X-Ray glasses, ventriloquist devices, drawing courses, and so forth.  Many didn't work or last long, but some were classics and are now collectibles. Thus, this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What back-of-the-comic advertisements did you fall for, and how did they work out?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

A "Jet Fighter."  It looked impressive in the ad.  When I got it, it turned out to be the typical balsa glider of the time: a stamped out fuselage printed in red, with wings, tail and stabilizer the same.  Under the center of the fuselage was clamped a "Jet Engine."  It was more accurately a tiny solid fuel rocket.  To operate, pull off the  nozzle and insert the fuel, a little cylindrical pellet.  Thread a fuse through the nozzle opening, coil the inner end, and reassemble ensuring that the fuse coil sits on the fuel pellet.  Then light the fuse with a match.  When (if) the fuel catches launch the plane by hand.  The first couple of tries the fuel didn't catch. Take the "engine" apart, insert a new fuse, try again.  Finally the fuel did catch, but by now the nozzle opening was clogged with bits of fuse, so it blew a hole in the side of the "engine."  So much for that!

This was marketed to kids, perhaps about age 10.  Solid fuel, fuses and matches. No suggestion of "adult supervision!". I'm surprised I never heard of incinerated fingers, (including mine) and wildfires started by these.  But hey, this was the '50s.

The plastic "rockets " half filled with water, pumped up with air were much safer, and as much fun, especially when Grandpa got soaked!

Ken

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks, pilot100. Now if I can just get the year right...

That's easy.  Where I work it's always 1829.  Has been for the last 30+ years.  

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Nick Cooper changed the title to This Week's Meaningless Topic (#161)(October 6)
On 10/6/2023 at 12:13 AM, Ken Q said:

The plastic "rockets " half filled with water, pumped up with air were much safer, and as much fun

I taught physics and was still using that as a demonstration up until I retired a few years ago. Apparently it was even more fun if the teacher got soaked ;)

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't have much of an answer for the actual question I'm afraid. I remember reading various comics but suspect my parents were particularly adept at talking me out of falling for the ads :lol:

I remember getting TV21 (I think it was called) largely based on Gerry Andersons series (Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and so on).  I had them all including a Fireball XL5 which you launched with a catapult and which, supposedly, had a parachute which would bring it down safely to Earth. It never did!

All purchased from the local toy shop as I remember (or found free in a cereal packet!)

All the best,

John

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I love the "Polaris Submarine."  I actually built my own "submarine," it was a WW2 submarine but only in the imagination of a couple of young boys. It started out with two 4x8 homasote  boards, and a selection of cardboard boxes for torpedo room and conning tower.  No missiles, but a few paper towel rolls made the torpedo tubes.  A suitable toy gun sufficed for a deck gun.  With this my pal Artie  and I could relive our favorite episodes from the TV show of the time  "Silent Service.". It was set up in the basement, and much more durable than the one advertised.  The " deck gun" cost about $2.00; I don't know what the fiber board cost, but the boxes were free.  Of course when we tired of being "submariners" the whole thing could be taken apart and recycled into something else.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1