Airport updates?

Ash624

I have quite a few Orbx scenery addons and love the extra immersion they bring. Is there anyway of asking for airports to be updated to reflect layout changes?

Is there an assigned part of the forum for this?

I refer specifically to EGLC, London City, a very detailed airport, great job Orbx. The airport has significantly changed since the Orbx scenery was developed as there is now a long taxiway parallel with the runway (Tango), and an additional "East Apron". There used to be a requirement to have to "back track" if landing on runway 09, now no longer required. As I do all of my flying on Vatsim, I can no longer use the Orbx scenery as I cannot follow instructions, which is a shame. I would be more than happy to pay for an update. The Orbx EGLC is now out of date and does not reflect the real world.

Ian

EGLC Changes.jpg

Taxiway tango and East Apron EGLC.jpg

• Upvote 2

Orbx has stated in the past that the airports they make are snapshots in time.
They do not intent to keep them updated until some developer, being independent or Orbx's feels like it could use the update like they did with Brisbane and Stockholm.

Sometimes another developer makes a new version of an airport like Canberra for instance.

When Orbx made the airport, there was a large construction site. Now, there is a new version, not by Orbx, where the site is finished.

Edited by bvdboomen
  • Upvote 1

Hello Ian,
in the specific case of EGLC, which flight simulator do you use when flying with Vatsim
and do you know what version of EGLC that the controllers and your fellow Vatsim pilots
are using that does include the new taxiway and apron that you mention?

On 4/2/2023 at 8:31 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Ian,
in the specific case of EGLC, which flight simulator do you use when flying with Vatsim
and do you know what version of EGLC that the controllers and your fellow Vatsim pilots
are using that does include the new taxiway and apron that you mention?

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your response. I use MSFS. There appear to be some people using Orbx and doing runway turn arounds/backtracks, others like me now using the scenery addon from flightsim.to. Sadly, the addon scenery is not Orbx standard, but at least its updated to reflect the real world. If true as per above comments, shame if Orbx ignore requests to update an airport, that's a poor business stance in my opinion. I prefer using the addon scenery that's accurate (but less detailed) than Orbx out of date scenery, I know that's my choice. I also appreciate that airports change quite a lot, and it must be challenging to continually update every airport in Orbx's catalogue. But, many flight simmers want accuracy, not out of date. EGLC is out of date. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ian

https://flightsim.to/file/7838/new-london-city-airport-eglc-expansion

15 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,
In this case, Orbx EGLC is acknowledged to be well and truly due an update and I have been told that one is scheduled.
I have not been told when it might be complete, or whether it might be free of charge or not.

Thanks Nick, that's nice to hear. In reality, we all have to accept that as a business, Orbx has to make money, so any additions/updates has to be financially viable too. Amending scenery must take a fair bit of time, and this I assume is targeted at "popular products" that sell well. I do hope that EGLC is one of them. Thanks for taking the time to respond again.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of VATSIM, UK controllers should take into account scenery differences - in fact the aerodrome manual for VATSIM UK controllers states:

Note: London City has undergone multiple expansions and pilots may be operating with scenery that does not match current charts. The initial eastern apron extension (stands 21-24 and holds D and E) are available in most sceneries, although some pilots using default scenery will only have stands 1-14, the GA apron, and holds A, B and C. The 2020 eastern apron extension including stands 25 and above, the parallel taxi-lane extension, and hold F are not reflected in the vast majority of sceneries and should not be used unless the pilot confirms they are available.

So while it's not ideal that there isn't updated fidelity scenery, you should still be accommodated on the network flying in/out of there.

Edited by Trevor Hannant
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Visiting ABBA VOYAGE in London I've been flying in and out EGLC the last 2 days.

While trying to simulate the same flights in MSFS I also noticed the slightly outdated "Time Snapshot" of the Orbx Version.

OK, hoping there might be an update incl. the new Taxiway parallel to the RWY sometime, I'd like to mention those lovely signs, posted twice at all Holdingpoints to the RWY in front of the Terminal Building:

CAUTION YOUR BLAST 😃

Cheers

Ralf

cyb.jpg

ON Elite Website - but not here apparently as yet.......

orbx Announces EGLC London City Airport v2 for MSFS

A brand new version of London City will be soon released from Orbx, bringing it…

Posted: 02-May-2023 @ 08:34z
Orbx Announces EGLC London City Airport v2 for MSFS

Listen to this article

0:00 / 1:24
1X
BeyondWords

Orbx has today announced that they will soon be releasing a brand new version of their London City Airport (EGLC) for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Edited by pilot100

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, LCYCowboy said:

I bought Orbx EGLC v1 on the Aerosoft store (can't remember why I didn't use the Orbx store, think I had a voucher left for Aerosoft).  How do I go about upgrading to V2?

Aerosoft will be replicating the upgrade discount in their store. This should be available this coming Monday/Tuesday. 

• 6 months later...

Hi Ian,

I share your passion for Orbx scenery addons and the added immersion they provide during flights. It's disappointing when airport layouts change, leaving the scenery outdated. Fortunately, Orbx has a forum where you can request updates and improvements for specific airports. I encourage you to visit their forum and look for the section dedicated to scenery updates or airport requests. By voicing your feedback and willingness to pay for an update, you increase the chances of seeing the changes you desire. Happy flying!