It's a Good Day People

Aussieflyer38

After months of stuffing about with the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle control that just would not work, my problem is solved, (looks into the bin where he threw the Bravo)😡 

This morning I dusted off my Saitek Throttle Control set it up and went for it, so far three out of three perfect flights around YBBN. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner, guess when you've coughed up over AU$400 you just have to see if you can make it work - it didn't, and now it's where it belongs. One of the biggest disappointments was NO communication from Honeycomb to see if they could help.

Okay, the Saitek is my original and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Bravo has, but for now, it will be fine, I can have trouble free flying, improvements I can work on down the track. The other important point for me, is, I can now get on with finishing my sim set up instead of having day and after day of frustration and failed flights, brought about by poor equipment.

Yep I know early days, I still have quite a few aircraft to test to make sure it's all good across the board, but right now it's certainly looking good. 😄😄😄

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Very pleased that your happy with reverse Technolgy mate  - but sorry you threw away the Bravo before I got the chance to help

My bravo does everything I want - especially the Autopilot controls that make it so that I don't have to fiddle with MOUSE when

bouncing around in rough air

You said that you were using the 0 - 100 axis for the throttle - I think that is where you were going wrong

i also bought the airbus addon on which makes life a little better than the keys supplied for the Boeing aircraft - more robust

on the retard engine use - and i use them for all the Twin jets

• Like 3

Hi John, It will be fine until I sort out something better. It wasn't just the 0 -100, I tried several different things - just using the throttle axis as well, and watched quite a few Youtube vids trying to sort it out. Anyway now I'm flying again, which is brilliant, even if I had to take a step back with technology.

Don  

• Like 2

I started with a CH yoke many years ago, and since replaced it with the newer, current model.  I tried the Saitek yoke, but soon gave up on it.  I just could not pull off a respectable landing, especially in a cross wind.  Some have complained about the fact that the yoke only turns through 90 degrees rather than 180 like "a real airplane" but I have since learned that the Mooney Bravo I fly only turns through about 90 degrees because the controls operate by push rods rather than cables, so that part of the action is pretty accurate for my airplane.  The only thing is the controls in a real airplane (in this case a PA 24 Comanche), especially the elevator, are much stiffer.  The only solution to that is a high end yoke, preferably force feedback, but that is way out of my budget.

I do have a lot of Saitek (pre Logitech) gear though I've phased out a lot of it.  I use Saitek rudder pedals and I'm very happy with them. My TPM unit is by an independent manufactorer "Flightsim Gear."  While it does not have vernier accuracy, being strictly "push-pull" it works beautifully; I have it set up with FSUIPC. I've replaced my Saitek radios with very nice, relatively inexpensive units from Propwash Sim.  I also replaced the Saitek Multipanel with a Propwash autopilot and a Desktop Aviator flap switch.  I had a VR Insight Transponder which I also replaced with a Propwash unit.  I made a Com Panel myself some years ago.  It works just fine, but doesn't look too good, so I broke down and ordered one from Javiator.  Should come this week. 

I have a Diagma GNS 530 GPS.  It operates with RealityXP and FSUIPC, and is really a beautiful unit.  Sadly Diagma seems to have disappeared.

I'm currently rebuilding my instrument panel and this time making it look as much like that of the Mooney Bravo as possible.

Anyone interested in hand-me-downs (USA only) PM me.  I'll gladly send them on for cost of shipping and handling.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3

Hi Ken, some really useful and interesting info there. As my years for flight simming are dwindling (too fast), unless I run into trouble (my second name) 🙂 I have to stick with what I have, the  Logitech Throttle quadrants are working fine, and my Thrustmaster stick that I've had for a few years still good. Goodluck with your upgrades have fun, I envy you having the time to do all that.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

I started with a CH yoke many years ago, and since replaced it with the newer, current model.  I tried the Saitek yoke, but soon gave up on it.  I just could not pull off a respectable landing, especially in a cross wind.  Some have complained about the fact that the yoke only turns through 90 degrees rather than 180 like "a real airplane" but I have since learned that the Mooney Bravo I fly only turns through about 90 degrees because the controls operate by push rods rather than cables, so that part of the action is pretty accurate for my airplane.  The only thing is the controls in a real airplane (in this case a PA 24 Comanche), especially the elevator, are much stiffer.  The only solution to that is a high end yoke, preferably force feedback, but that is way out of my budget.

I do have a lot of Saitek (pre Logitech) gear though I've phased out a lot of it.  I use Saitek rudder pedals and I'm very happy with them. My TPM unit is by an independent manufactorer "Flightsim Gear."  While it does not have vernier accuracy, being strictly "push-pull" it works beautifully; I have it set up with FSUIPC. I've replaced my Saitek radios with very nice, relatively inexpensive units from Propwash Sim.  I also replaced the Saitek Multipanel with a Propwash autopilot and a Desktop Aviator flap switch.  I had a VR Insight Transponder which I also replaced with a Propwash unit.  I made a Com Panel myself some years ago.  It works just fine, but doesn't look too good, so I broke down and ordered one from Javiator.  Should come this week. 

I have a Diagma GNS 530 GPS.  It operates with RealityXP and FSUIPC, and is really a beautiful unit.  Sadly Diagma seems to have disappeared.

I'm currently rebuilding my instrument panel and this time making it look as much like that of the Mooney Bravo as possible.

Anyone interested in hand-me-downs (USA only) PM me.  I'll gladly send them on for cost of shipping and handling.

Ken

Ken is modest. He actually has built a full cockpit. If we ask nicely, maybe he will share a current photo????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Rodge.

Actually I'm hoping that I can finally turn this version into a "full cockpit", enclosed, 3D, with side windows.  So far I only have the forward view, using the " hat switch " to look out the sides. (Really, really hard in a right downwind)!  The forward view is good; A 42" curved monitor.  

What Rodge is referring to is my current iteration of the cockpit.  As I had previously, I made a full size template in Publisher, printed and assembled the tiles, and pasted it to the plywood panel base.  Unfortunately the template slipped, and it all went out of alignment.  Functional, but looking at it hour after hour gets irritating.  Besides, new gear comes along, and I have (some) money to spend, so time to upgrade.  So here I am, doing it again.  Actually I do enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of building stuff. Unfortunately, at my age and with my knees, installing larger projects requires help, not always available.  Also, the only convenient workspace is the garage, which is unheated.  Now here on Long Island, New York, we've had a much milder winter than much of the rest of the country, but still it's too cold for my arthritic knees to stand for long.  So I'm doing what I can on the dining room table, and hoping for some milder weather to finish it.  Fortunately I'm not in a hurry, and my current set up is just fine for now. In the meantime I can still fly. (Sitting at Monterey, waiting for the weather to improve to fly to Santa Barbara).  Also, being retired (mostly), I do have time.  I'm off entirely for the winter, then working part time the rest of the year.

So, anyway, I'm at it again.  The work progresses slowly. I'm using Masonite as the base this time, and carefully transferring the cutouts by hand, carefully measured and squared.  I have bought some new tools that should make precision straight cuts easier. I have also devised a way (I hope) of making the miles of wiring (so it seems) and the many USB and other connectors accessible for maintenance and troubleshooting and future modification. And as mentioned above, I have updated some of the gear.

I will share pictures in good time.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You are  right AussieFlyer the Bravo  is a pain with P3D but  in MSFS it's  a breeze. I would be  without it. Some complicate settings are well explained in You Tube 

Yeah  I also throw  some gear away Track-ir is one of them after I fall off the chair!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2