"In the weeds " ....

renault

Just a few at KSBA, after a win11 reinstallation .... Don't ask, I don't wish this on anyone :(

MS2020 Beta 10, DX12, DLSS - Quality mode and my usual poor piloting skills.

Well maybe a bit better than usual because it was quite windy.

All I can say is I think the runways shrunk!  I remember them being a lot longer than this.

Or maybe my brakes failed.... who knows but I remained upright and no flight simmers were 

injured in the making of this sequence :rolleyes:

Cheers all

Pete

Clouds are the latest from Floyd's Epic Clouds available at flightsim.to

If you aren't into real weather, I really recommend them highly.  Just a folder drop into the community folder and very good quality with

no noticeable impact at all on system load.  They then show up in the Weather dropdown along with all the other clouds 

10-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-10-54-03.

11-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-10-54-49.

14-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-10-56-39.

15-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-10-57-59.

16-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-11-05-10.

17-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-11-06-31.

18-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-11-10-41.

19-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-11-11-16.

20-Flight-Simulator-2022-09-03-11-12-18.

Edited by renault
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Well Pete, some great looking images here. Lots of color depth! But, how in the world did you end up out in that grass field? I see runway and then the next thing, off the range you go. :D

Thank you Landon

It is very much appreciated

I see runway and then the next thing, off the range you go

That pretty much described what happened.:o

I think that I came in to fast (didn't realize that a little plane could be  speed demon) , hit the brakes too late and 

next thing the end of the runway lights were coming up very, very quickly and Bob's your uncle and i'm in the grass listening

to the crickets.  Need to work on my technique a lot more :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, ikbenik said:

Fine shots. How is the FPS with DX12 + DLSS of this beta-version. Better than the actual DX11 graphics? Is their also a quality(color-contrast-sharpness) improvement?

Thank you

As far as FPS goes at the moment, for me it is pretty much on pare with DX11.  However, it is silky smooth and offers so much more potential 

to be great than does DX11 imho. At the present time, image quality as best as I can tell is pretty much identical, but I believe in the future that will

change considerably.

One thing to realize is that DX12 is identical to Vulkan in one respect.  It is a graphics API that is very much closer to the coalface as they say. In other words a lot of the interface that DX11 provides in terms of system management, which means basically that things take more time to execute doesn't exist in the DX12 design.  As a result the GPU and CPU  are linked much more closely together, which means that a great deal of the processing overhead is eliminated and graphics is executed much more quickly. This also means that the alternative to do much more in terms of improved graphics quality and visual fidelity is much higher in DX12 without incurring a huge processing load to the graphics engine.

But it does mean that a lot of things that were handled pretty much  automatically in DX11 have to be dealt with more directly by the graphics game developer in DX12 to get optimal performance.  Such things like resource allocation in the GPU and memory management are handled by the graphics rendering engine itself, rather than the drivers as in Dx11.  This means in DX12 that the workload will be distributed across cores in a multicore CPU much more evenly if it is optimized properly.  However this optimization does take time to get developed .

The biggest advantage to DX12 though is that it is a true multi processing graphics environment. In DX 11 basically everything was done an item at a time, whereas in DX12 many events can be handled simultaneously. This means that in a graphics scene, things that are changing can be given more priority while those that are not are given less. So for example an airplane flying against a sky background through a DX12 process called motion adaptive  shading, the developer can provide stellar image quality to the plane while devoting less resources to the sky which may be changing less rapidly between frames. In DX11 the entire scene is rendered the same every frame. 

Anyone who was part of the XPlane Vulkan beta, will remember how many integrations were required before they got the memory allocation in Vulkan to behave.  So basically there is a lot of work to do in the journey before the end result comes.

When I retired I decided I needed to learn something new to keep my brain cells as active as I could.  I have always been fascinated by how computer images are generated and decided that would be something worth learning about. In my case, I ended up writing all my own shaders to adjust image quality in MS2020 , and before that in DX11.  So in MS I turn all the graphics, sharpening etc off in the configuration files and for better or worse, what you see in my screen shots is my own doing.  There is no post processing involved after a screenshot is taken, aside from basic colour management principles to imbed a .icc file in the image to ensure that what you see on a web browser is as close as possible to what is rendered on my computer.  In other words what I see is what you get.

For me it has become a fascinating hobby in its own right and something which I have come to enjoy as much as flying and exploring the world in MS.

Thanks for the questions . I appreciated them

All the best

Pete

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

+1 :):)

Simply put, I'm probably the worst flyer of anyone in these forums, but I enjoy myself immensely. :lol::lol:

Cheers Bernd

Pete

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Nice shots Pete :). Do you find the clouds much better than stock MSFS or just different?

Thank you Paul

Different.  What he has done is to work out a very nice way of combining the settings for cloud layers etc  together to get the results 

Think of them as presets basically that combine what is available in the weather screen.

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Wonderful shots Pete !! .

Thanks John:)

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots these Pete.

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you iain