Another Australian Legend for Orbx

John Heaton

As we have Kingsford Smith's Southern Cross Ford Trimotor sitting in a special building at Brisbane airport -

and soon to be in our flight sim  - courtesy of Orbx -  maybe Orbx could just look at another Aussie LegendB)

Also sitting in another airport building - only this time in Adelaide airport -- is the actual aircraft to make the first

flight between England and Australia in 1919 -  and is a Vickers Vimy WW1 bomber - flown by 2 Australian brothers
Sir Ross and Keith Smith

The aircraft is being re-furbished and will be back on show in the new Adelaide terminal building in approx. 2 months

Vimy 1.JPG

Vimy 2.JPG

vimy 3.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, vanderlay said:

I remember reading once that they never knew this as Echo Alpha Oscar Uniform, or whatever the phonetic alphabet was at the time, they knew it as God (h)Elp All Of Us.

Ah, interesting. Maybe a stupid question, what stands the G for?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Correction.

G- is the UK registration for A/C not GB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_aircraft_registration

Of course Jon - you are correct - maybe I should have made it clearer - G- as in B - or d or E etc

Maybe you or someone else can explain why Australian Regos always start with a VH- ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

why Australian Regos always start with a VH-

Cannot verify but

What does VH stand for on Australian aircraft?

Victor Hargraves

During HARS tours, the question occasionally is asked “what is the significance or history of the VH prefix on Australian registered civil aircraft”? Often someone will explain that it's the initials of the famous Australian aviation person Victor Hargraves.
  • Like 1

apparently VH was given at a conference in Washington in 1927, ICAN, Australia never had a seat there, I could be wrong though.....

Amazing pictures by the way, always amazed at these old planes, how they flew such distances and so unprotected.....

this plane below is in the museum up at what was BAE Filton, I think it says about it flying at like 16000ft and I thought that must have been amazing in the open like that...

DSC_1366.JPG

• Like 1

John Heaton, just a small correction. Kingsford Smith's aircraft isn't a Fort Trimotor, it's a Fokker F.VIIb/3m trimotor monoplane. It was previously owned by the great Australian explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.

And, referring to the registration of the Vimy, Ross and Keith Smith jokingly said it stood for God 'Elp All Of Us.

• Like 1

Oh dear ! that's 2 corrections to errors I have made in this thread :wacko:

Time I went to bed I think - before I crash and burn  B) 

However - speaking - of crashing -- and VH regos - you all will notice my avatar is a PA 32 that I owned in the late 70s

before I switched to a Saratoga - and she was VH - MVT

The Bloke who bought it from me - managed to end up at the end of the runway at Aldinga S.A. ( the free AP from Auscene)

I believe she was written off -(but I could be wrong ) ----Here's what was left of her:-*ea9dddac517c32a59cdced8ce29ae7ba.thumb.jpg.ce63a2411e091354d9328fe1d6375e2e.jpg

8006 VH MVT.jpg

• Like 2