Come to Australia

Stillwater

Today we are going to visit two famous NPs in North Australia. But before we leave Darwin, listen and learn:

Okay, you are prepared. Now get up, with a turn over the city...

IOAnbM8.jpg

... and towards Stuart Highway.

G2SOvZc.jpg

This lovely city is called Humpty Doo. Not sure if they take it for serious if you apply for a visa with that adress.

6NQlWVZ.jpg

We pass Emkatyee, ...

xNXkKDm.jpg

... leave the highway westwards...

HWpmfr0.jpg

... and pass Southport at the Darwin River...

2zHdm7C.jpg

... on our way to the Litchfield NP. Wangi Falls area below us (at the end of the road circles)...

0BSLFAt.jpg

... and nearby are Florence Falls. No time for a swim today, ...

ROrndWM.jpg

... though Batchelor airstrip is not far.

uP1hSF3.jpg

But we head east and follow the Arnhem Highway across Mary River...

zpAB4MC.jpg

... before turning south onto Old Jim Jim Road. A road you should drive with care in wet season, as it is unpaved...

75EN3oL.jpg

... and you need to drive through South Alligator River here, unfortunately not visible in this screenie. I do not think it is wise to leave the car if flooding gets you stuck there.

egRK1hj.jpg

Well, much easier with a plane. Just to go on into Kakadu NP, Yellow Waters here.

DozlFZ8.jpg

Now we close in to Nourlangie Rock, with its rock paintings that are approx. 20000 years old.

cRymVFQ.jpg

Passing Jabiru city, with its hotels, the Uranium mine and the airstrip...

LP9lROA.jpg

... on our way to the Nadap floodplain around East Alligator River...

uvoJThB.jpg

... and Oenpelli. Enough attractions for at least 3 days of road travel. If you survive. 

pGLlrHS.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

WOW! So many memories triggered here: I lived and worked with my family in Oenpelli (Gunbalanya) 1984-88 and I was involved with aerial/bus tours between Darwin and Daly River via Litchfield and Batchelor 1988-90. All these areas are so well depicted in the sims these day and your excellent shots and narrative show that to perfection, thank you!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great post Gerold, enjoyed the tour and your comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome, John!

8 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Wonderful shots, Gerold. If you allow me to tease you (again) a little bit: you will love to do the same flight in MSFS. It's soo different :):)

Thanks Bernd, and: I trust that MSFS can show the ground on a higher level. Good that it can´t be posted here and I can still enjoy what I have...

12 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots and tour! Had hoped to visit next year but will wait and see for a while yet!

John.

You make the point John: We can use the sim while we are waiting to restart real travelling...

9 hours ago, BradB said:

I think for right now it will only be virtual Gerold , they are dealing with way to many issues down there right now . :(>:(

I did love the video and shots my friend . :):)

Thank you John. Currently I am not sure who has more issues: Australia, USA or we. Just four-letter words to describe that :(.

6 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful trip and shots Gerold. I love spiders:wub: except that reddish one:wacko::D. Happy Trails to you. Cheers k

Thanks Karl. With these spiders down under I am not sure if I love them. But in the sim it is okay...

7 hours ago, TerribleT said:

WOW! So many memories triggered here: I lived and worked with my family in Oenpelli (Gunbalanya) 1984-88 and I was involved with aerial/bus tours between Darwin and Daly River via Litchfield and Batchelor 1988-90. All these areas are so well depicted in the sims these day and your excellent shots and narrative show that to perfection, thank you!

Thanks for your comment, I really like this little touch of memories, TT. Isn´t that a fantastic way to spend time in front of a computer?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine post this Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain. I already missed your reply...

10 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Great shots Gerold. You  wouldn't want to try that trip by road right now, we have serious flooding and most of it is under water.

Don

Yea Don, when you enlage the picture you may see that rain set in when I left Arnhem Highway towards Old Jim Jim Road. And there must be a reason why "South Alligator River" has this name...

6 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

I promise you to never talk about it again :D:D:D

Oh, you are invited to, Bernd. That´s a piece of our sim life!

2 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Excellent set Gerold!   Looking forward to the next post.

Thank you JJJ. The next part will be a bit more remote...

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

great post Gerold I enjoyed the trip very much....

Thank you Wayne!