Edgley - the worst aircraft I've ever purchased.

Purchased the Edgely this afternoon and it's absolutely unflyable. 

After engine start the it sounds as if the engine pulses (continuously) and increasing the throttle it continues to do the same. Taxing to the runway the engine eventually just cuts out and can't be restarted. Nothing about these problems in the bug list.

Any ideas anyone?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SGunard said:

Yes Nick, still set to modern.

Didn't run through the checklist. Used Ctrl-E. Doesn't Ctrl-E work with the Edgley?

I think it will start the engine but not all necessary functions are tied to the command.  For instance I just tried a CTRL E start and the fuel cocks weren't working properly until I pushed and pulled them, and the GPS didn't come on until I repeated the engine start in mid air.

I think the aircraft has been designed to be operated in a reasonably realistic fashion if you start from a parking spot.  A default runway start has everything working .

Best advice?  If selecting a parking spot be prepared to use the checklist to start and fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

I think it will start the engine but not all necessary functions are tied to the command.  For instance I just tried a CTRL E start and the fuel cocks weren't working properly until I pushed and pulled them, and the GPS didn't come on until I repeated the engine start in mid air.

I think the aircraft has been designed to be operated in a reasonably realistic fashion if you start from a parking spot.  A default runway start has everything working .

Best advice?  If selecting a parking spot be prepared to use the checklist to start and fly.

Interesting

But I think developers should always consider the old fashion style of things, that is why I dislike the study level planes that force you, like Apple, to do their will

I don't like to touch any buttons or knobs in the cockpit, the easiest the better, I just need keyboard commands F1 to F8, arrows, L, period, and pad numbers, the eassiest and fastets traditional way as I am not a pilot and I don't pretend to be one, I hardly fly inside the cockpit but more and more many developers seemed to leave behid the ones who fly similarly to me though I understand most of the guys out there prefer the most realistic side of everything.

But I wish a developer always considers the small part of old fashion style and the ones who still use keyboard and mouse :)

It was great John that you tested yourself and informed your findings so it is clear for everybody, thanks

Have a nice weeked

Cheers

Carlos

• Upvote 2

Thanks John for taking the time to test this for me and report back. Much appreciated! :)

I've had time to test this myself now and can confirm that it's Ctrl-E that's the problem. Going through the checklist from cold and dark did indeed work, as did starting from the runway. 

So Orbx, is this the way the Edgley was designed to work, or is this an SU5 issue (or similar)? If it's a deliberate design feature that Ctrl-E doesn't work (whether enforced by MSFS limitations or otherwise) then why isn't this mentioned in the documentation? Unless I'm mistaken (and I apologise in advance if I'm wrong on this) it's not mentioned at all in the operators' handbook. Since Ctrl-E had been a standard keystroke combination of MS flight sims (and P3D) for many years now, wouldn't it have been a good idea to mention this? You know, to stop your customers wasting their precious sim-time, and getting frustrated/annoyed in the process?

Can I ask please that this bug (if indeed it is a bug) gets added to the official bug list? It's annoying to be forced to choose between the extremes of starting cold and dark, or on the runway. Like Carlos, I'm not interested in going through start-up procedures, but like the opportunity to taxi to the runway. After all what's the point in buying your lovely airfields and then just starting at the runway?!

Thanks again John and Carlos.

Edited by SGunard
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SGunard said:

It's annoying to be forced to choose between the extremes of starting cold and dark, or on the runway. Like Carlos, I'm not interested in going through start-up procedures, but like the opportunity to taxi to the runway. After all what's the point in buying your lovely airfields and then just starting at the runway?!

You could start on a runway, then shut down the engine, avionics  lights etc. (not as far down as cold and dark) and slew the plane to a parking position. Then try, if starting the plane with ctrl+e works. 

That's not perfect, I know, but anyway...

• Like 1

some of the default planes don't work with CTRL+E from cold and dark, either - it's usually something fuel related that doesn't get set correctly. The 787 requires you to manually turn on all the fuel pumps before CTRL+E works.

It would be really nice to have more start options in MSFS, though. I can't see why there's not a "start at hold short" option, at the very least - they show your plane there in the cutscene if you choose the default start on the runway option. 

Doing the full start and taxi out does really add to the immersion and adds some anticipation for the take off and flight. Starting on the runway is just meh - plus possibly annoying other people in multiplayer. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ravenn22 said:

some of the default planes don't work with CTRL+E from cold and dark

Didn't realize that ravenn22. I'll bear that in mind when I start trying some of the other defaults (have only flown three or four in the past year!)

1 hour ago, SGunard said:

Didn't realize that ravenn22. I'll bear that in mind when I start trying some of the other defaults (have only flown three or four in the past year!)

It could be just the 787, but in general - if CTRL + E doesn't work, start looking at all the fuel settings.

Another weird one I've had a few time with the Carenado C182, is that sometimes the airplane doesn't sync with my physical throttle quad position and I didn't catch it, so the prop will be feathered and that will cause the engine to stall after starting and running for a little bit.

A bunch of switches ( at least on the Honeycomb Bravo ) seem to have reversed themselves after SU5 - so watch for that as well.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:22 PM, SGunard said:

So Orbx, is this the way the Edgley was designed to work, or is this an SU5 issue (or similar)? If it's a deliberate design feature that Ctrl-E doesn't work (whether enforced by MSFS limitations or otherwise) then why isn't this mentioned in the documentation? Unless I'm mistaken (and I apologise in advance if I'm wrong on this) it's not mentioned at all in the operators' handbook. Since Ctrl-E had been a standard keystroke combination of MS flight sims (and P3D) for many years now, wouldn't it have been a good idea to mention this? You know, to stop your customers wasting their precious sim-time, and getting frustrated/annoyed in the process?

Can I ask please that this bug (if indeed it is a bug) gets added to the official bug list? It's annoying to be forced to choose between the extremes of starting cold and dark, or on the runway. Like Carlos, I'm not interested in going through start-up procedures, but like the opportunity to taxi to the runway. After all what's the point in buying your lovely airfields and then just starting at the runway?!

Anybody?! It's been well over a week now, Orbx!

4 hours ago, SGunard said:

Anybody?! It's been well over a week now, Orbx!

Your points have already been answered in this topic.

To reprise them:

There is no SDK requirement for an aircraft model to be made to start with "Ctrl +E", many users would find this to be a bonus rather than a reason to complain and in the past, there have been very many other aircraft models that do not do so either.

I would agree that a selection of "states" might be to a wider taste and I have suggested it to the developer.

This aircraft model is provided with a checklist, which if followed, allows the quick and effective starting of all of its functiuons.

If you load on a runway, the aircraft is in ready to fly mode.

I am sorry that you wasted so much time after pressing Ctrl + E and finding that it did not work for you.

My own experience is that it took a few moments to discover that if the battery and the two fuel valves are switched on, thereafter CTRL + E works.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what all the fuss is about (!!). My Optica starts perfectly well from cold & dark - though I have to say the magnetos switch (keys at the top of the VC) were hard to find!

For some reason, I've always liked the Optica (back from P3D days) - and I'm really enjoying this one. My only gripe is that I can't get the GTX330 (Transponder) to power up.

Adam.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about (!!). My Optica starts perfectly well from cold & dark - though I have to say the magnetos switch (keys at the top of the VC) were hard to find!

For some reason, I've always liked the Optica (back from P3D days) - and I'm really enjoying this one. My only gripe is that I can't get the GTX330 (Transponder) to power up.

Adam.

magnetos were issue for me then I used the checklist, after a while it's all remembered as there isn't a lot to do is there?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've noted that the transponder lights up on some aircraft if you accept the atc code with the menu choice. After that it works properly. I think the Optica works this way. Slightly annoying but not a deal breaker for me.