Vacation

Well folks this old Coot is heading out on Saturday to spend a week in the beautiful San Juan Mountains in Southwest Colorado.  Will be doing a lot of hiking and jeeping.

We go there every years and least once.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Well folks this old Coot is heading out on Saturday to spend a week in the beautiful San Juan Mountains in Southwest Colorado.  Will be doing a lot of hiking and jeeping.

We go there every years and least once.

The San Juans are really beautiful.  We've been there twice, both times for the Cumbres & Toltec  Railroad.  First time just as passengers, the second time I took their four day Steam Locomotive Fireman course.  Get tired of walking take the train.  60+ miles of gorgeous scenery, and a great connection to our history.  Unfortunately from Long Island NY it's a bit of a slog, or we'd do it again.

Ken

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hope y'all really enjoy your sojourns. We'll be going to pick up pills at the Walmart pharmacy.:smile:

Doesn't seem like much of a vacation, but all to familiar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

The San Juans are really beautiful.  We've been there twice, both times for the Cumbres & Toltec  Railroad.  First time just as passengers, the second time I took their four day Steam Locomotive Fireman course.  Get tired of walking take the train.  60+ miles of gorgeous scenery, and a great connection to our history.  Unfortunately from Long Island NY it's a bit of a slog, or we'd do it again.

Ken

Ken, if you are ever in the area you should ride the Durango to Silver on narrow gauge railroad, it is a beautiful ride.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Ken, if you are ever in the area you should ride the Durango to Silver on narrow gauge railroad, it is a beautiful ride.

I'd love to.  Know a lot about it, and it's on the bucket list.  We've long thought about taking the train to Silverton, staying overnight, and going back to Durango ththe next day.  But these long trips are getting harder to do.  But on the other hand, if you've not ridden tthe C&T, you should put that on your bucket list.  It goes from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO, over 60 miles.  Takes all day, with bus transportation back to the starting point.  Lunch is provided at Oser. Toltec Gorge is unbelievable!  And Phantom Curve.  I especially love Sublette.  Mud Tunnel and Rock Tunnel.    This too is part of the D&RG narrow gauge, the longest surviving part of it. Of course they are running the original steam locomotives that have served the line since the 1920s. There is a lot that you cannot see in any other way.  You can take the train in either direction, starting at either Chama or Antonito.

Ken

• Like 2