88 Degrees

Stillwater

Not Fahrenheit, as you will soon discover. For this flight i took a plane which did not really fit on the gate positions at Kiruna.

xzpEe4h.jpeg

But it was no problem to get the 777 taking off on the runway.

FlPHe15.jpeg

As touristic travel into US is still forbidden, there were only 3 pilots and 3 businessmen on board. To make it valuable, the 777 was loaded up to the roof with Swedish chocolate, Lakritz and Schnaps.

KNf5qrX.jpeg

Kiruna is already quite far at the northern end of Sweden.

VYbrho6.jpeg

And todays heading was still further north, initially towards Norway´s fjords...

62vCLZg.jpg

... and over Tromsö.

J25MTyc.jpg

Next waymark was Spitzbergen / Svalbard.

nhuPIMx.jpeg

But then I went up to latitude 88°N, where the graphic replication of P3D came to an end.

mGM0GEG.gif

After passing the North pole as well as greenland landfall was at Deadhorse, Alaska.

acSKHNF.jpeg

Even some traffic up here: Air Canada crossing our way, going from Tokyo to Toronto.

rodLwf8.jpeg

Fairbanks...

PRTRvKI.jpeg

... and Denali (right), trying to hide behind clouds.

G5OdT35.jpg

The flight started in the evening, and without a sunset the next morning came.

tocbnFb.jpeg

Plains near Talkeetna, ...

J9Gsohw.jpeg

... rains a bit further south.

aJUFguT.jpeg

Here is a beautiful view of Anchorage´s promenade.

uBoWyxz.jpeg

Landing at 03:01 am local time...

OFbmOEE.jpeg

... no problem.

22xUaJw.jpeg

Due to the freight we were directed to a cargo position, the passengers (only 3 businessmen) had to take a forklifter to get to the arrivals hall.

57vAqNV.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I like the story and images from it Gerold.

A very interesting cargo on board your flight too.

Some Kuivaliha and Prastost would have been handy to take as well, if not only for the crew to enjoy with the schnaps.:huh:^_^:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for off the topic question but I want to ask you question on your DC-3 screenshot in the June Month Screenshot Contest as comments or questions are not allowed in the screenshot contest subforum.

Regarding your Alaska Airline DC-3 over mountains,  is it FSX as you said it is non MS2020 screenshot?

Regards,

Aharon

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, John Mac said:

Love the shots and story!

John.

Thank you John. Quite an extraordinary flight experience as well...

On 6/11/2021 at 8:24 AM, Iain Emms said:

Very nice shots these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain. As you may know the graphics near the pole are more or less nothing... must be the sim model.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, lifejogger said:

Nice shots and commentary Gerold.  First time I have heard of someone flying over the North Pole.

Thanks John. As you see from the projection it is nearly the straight way from Europe to Alaska. Just not a totally popular route...

On 6/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, VH-KDK said:

I like the story and images from it Gerold.

A very interesting cargo on board your flight too.

Some Kuivaliha and Prastost would have been handy to take as well, if not only for the crew to enjoy with the schnaps.:huh:^_^:P

I was lucky not to have Hilda on the flight, probably a lot of the cargo would have been lost during flight.

I am not sure if Kuivaliha and Prastost could have been imported to Alaska or if that would be considered dangerous goods.

On 6/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, BradB said:

Quite a journey Gerold , hopefully they had a decent crew rest bunk for you . :):P:D

Sure we had, John. They all had 4-seat-rows in the empty eco, could not be better!

3 hours ago, Aharon said:

Sorry for off the topic question but I want to ask you question on your DC-3 screenshot in the June Month Screenshot Contest as comments or questions are not allowed in the screenshot contest subforum.

Regarding your Alaska Airline DC-3 over mountains,  is it FSX as you said it is non MS2020 screenshot?

Regards,

Aharon

No worries with the off-topic, Aharon! The DC-3 over Valdez is captured in P3Dv4.5 - I wait for the big changes until my internet connection is improved...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice shots and great flight Gerold!  8)  

Thank you JJJ!

19 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Interesting story and flight, Gerold

Danke Bernd. One does not fly up there very often, even Japan is just another cross-Russia flight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I wait for the big changes until my internet connection is improved

I just saw this remark of yours, Gerold.  In case that's stopping you from installing MSFS, as long as your internet connection generates more than 20MB/s you will be fine. I had the same issue until six months ago with a connection hovering around 19 to 22MB/s and I had no issues with MSFS whatsoever.  Now I am at 500MB/s and there isn't much of a difference re MSFS. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

I just saw this remark of yours, Gerold.  In case that's stopping you from installing MSFS, as long as your internet connection generates more than 20MB/s you will be fine. I had the same issue until six months ago with a connection hovering around 19 to 22MB/s and I had no issues with MSFS whatsoever.  Now I am at 500MB/s and there isn't much of a difference re MSFS. 

Indeed a very helpful and promising comment, Bernd. When I wrote this reason for hesitation it was also clear to me that I will need the study level planes before sending p3d into retirement. And I am not willing to maintain two sims in parallel, for the time being I have to say!

On 6/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, Stillwater said:

No worries with the off-topic, Aharon! The DC-3 over Valdez is captured in P3Dv4.5

That explains crisp sharp mountains   Thanks for answer

Regards,

Aharon

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 1:04 AM, timmo32 said:

Yet again a nice set of shots and adventure there Gerold!

Thank you Timmo. Looking for potential alternate airports is the adventure up there, not many between Svalbard and Resolute...

On 6/14/2021 at 3:03 AM, TerribleT said:

Love your concept, love your shots, love the cargo, well done Sir!

Thank you TT! I knew the cargo would be very welcome anywhere, not only in Alaska...

On 6/14/2021 at 3:47 AM, adambar said:

Outstanding flight and shots Gerold. :)

Thanks a lot Adam. Just not much to see outside the plane up there.

22 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots and fine story Gerold, glad to see you are enjoying your sim whilst you await better internet...

Thank you Wayne. Well, it is also waiting for study level planes and the confirmation, that my trusted add-on-environment will be available in MSFS.

• Like 1