Hmmmm

32 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Did you see those flashing colors recently Karl? :lol:

As I said a while ago. Got pulled over by them flashing "freedom colors" and the Trooper came over and said: "I smell alcohol" so I told him: "That's because you're not respecting social distancing":rolleyes::D

For my flying friend at Bojangles Saloon (IMNSHO, the best pub in Alice Springs)...

Recently a routine police patrol was parked outside a bar in the Outback. After last call, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so apparently intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing. After what seemed an eternity, in which he tried his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it. He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally, he started the car, switched the wipers on and off; it was a fine, dry summer night, flicked the blinkers on and off a couple of times, honked the horn and then switched on the lights. He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little, and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patrons' vehicles left. At last, when his was the only car left in the parking lot, he pulled out and drove slowly down the road. The police officer, having waited patiently all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing lights, and promptly pulled the man over and administered a breathalyzer test. To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man had consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken." "I doubt it," declared the man with pride. "Tonight I'm the designated decoy."

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

I wonder if some of us are old enough, to have swilled a few whiskey's in that Saloon? :rolleyes::P:D 

I almost shot my hand up on that one Karl, but then I remembered that I just feel that old but not quite that old! :blink:   Although, while in Vietnam there was a bar called the Long Branch with a sign above the door that read "Miss Kitty Proprietor" in Saigon that us truck drivers visited on occasion to swill a few 33 or Tiger beers and eat a very tough to chew sandwich! :ph34r:  Sure wish I had gotten a picture of that place! :D

Another place I remember is Seletar RAF Aerodrome in Singapore.  They had a wonderful bar, restaurant and swimming pool complex there.  We soldiers thought we should have joined the RAF!  Most of us were only there for a short time waiting for our postings to units in Malaya, or 'up Country' as they would say.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, John York said:

The place to go is, or was, the Raffles bar and restaurant in Singapore.  Steeped in history and a wonderful place to eat and drink.

Seems to be I can open another thread: "Famous pubs you have visited in real life".

21CxsnP.jpg

I've visited a few over the years, but what is, without doubt, absolutely, positively the best watering hole in the world is....Bloody Mary's on Bora Bora.

www.bloodymarys.com

Try it, you'll like it.

P.S. And take an extra dollar bill to autograph and pin on the wall in the bar. (There must be $107,435 pinned up already :))

Off topic but your mention took me back W2DR.  I remember the book; 'A Town Like Alice' I think by Nevil Shute and based on a true story of Australians and a group of women caught up in the war against the Japanese in Malaya. Now I know what my wife and her family went through in China I don't think I could read that again.    

I know John. I have a letter from my father (whom I never knew) written to my mother during WWII. It was the last one he ever wrote. He died three days later on Guadalcanal (one month before I was born). I have'nt read that letter in many, many years. And I doubt that I ever will again. Somethings in life just aren't worth enduring no matter what the meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived