PMDG, 4.5 OR 5.1?

wain71

So yesterday I bought PMDG 737, however after updating p3d to 5.1 I am not sure which version to install it into....both 4.5 and 5.1 seem to be running at about 30fps locked OK.... can't find any advice anywhere so wondering what Orbx owners of the 737 are using it in?

I'm running the PMDG aircraft in P3d 4.5 and they are running perfect and stable there. And so does the whole sim. That's why I never saw a reason to switch to either P3d v5 or MSFS so far. So, I have no comparison, but you might decide on the sceneries you have for the corresponding sim, where it makes most sense to install the PMDG planes?

39 minutes ago, DeeJay said:

I'm running the PMDG aircraft in P3d 4.5 and they are running perfect and stable there. And so does the whole sim. That's why I never saw a reason to switch to either P3d v5 or MSFS so far. So, I have no comparison, but you might decide on the sceneries you have for the corresponding sim, where it makes most sense to install the PMDG planes?

Yeah I think you are right. I will install into 4.5 as that is running nicely..5.1 may still have issues at the moment according to some sites I have looked at..

I've been running v5 for quite awhile.  Much better performance than 4.5. As far as  5.1 is concerned, it has a problem with Active Sky that prevents me from upgrading.  There is nothing that prevents you from running both 4.5 and 5 on the same machine other than space.  YMMV.

I have tried v5 and wend back to v4.5 because of many issues with v5.

Not only the sim itself (mainly TrueSky) but also third party scenery (including Orbx) and planes.

I surely miss the performance DX12 gives but I rather like a sim which supports my add-ons well.

11 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

I've been running v5 for quite awhile.  Much better performance than 4.5. As far as  5.1 is concerned, it has a problem with Active Sky that prevents me from upgrading.  There is nothing that prevents you from running both 4.5 and 5 on the same machine other than space.  YMMV.

v5.1 has the best water of then all.  As for A.S...an update will be coming.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, wain71 said:

So yesterday I bought PMDG 737, however after updating p3d to 5.1 I am not sure which version to install it into....both 4.5 and 5.1 seem to be running at about 30fps locked OK.... can't find any advice anywhere so wondering what Orbx owners of the 737 are using it in?

Wayne - how are you finding the 737?

9 hours ago, gpickup said:

Wayne - how are you finding the 737?

well I installed into 4.5 which like posters above have said is a very stable platform....only done the 2 tutorial flights but I really enjoyed how it went.....there are so many options for setting up these aircraft... was totally immersed in the flights, had a great time......I have always doubted the value of PMDG and used ifly model instead, but I have to say there is a big difference, I am pleased I went for it, just wish I hadn't waited for a Cardiac Arrest to push my to making the purchase lol....

thanks for everyone's input, I do have 5.1 installed but I am still seeing things I don't really like on screen, I am sure HIFI will be quick to repair Activesky.......

I am curious if P3D v5 really managed to somewhat improve performance. Most of what I read/heard so far indicated that no performance gain can be expected having the same addons installed as on v4.5.

Expand the spoiler for my rather long rant about what I don't get about P3D's performance issues...

Spoiler

Example for worst performance on my system: Loading up Berlin-Tegel in a PMDG 738 NGXu and full Orbx scenery incl. GEN. Aerosoft scenery gives ~13-15 FPS while parked at the gate, Gaya manages to go even lower with 8-12 FPS. This is completely unbearable. Other areas are a bit more manageable such as Aerosoft Cologne with Orbx GES which peaks at around 18 FPS. Other aircraft such as the Majestic Dash 8 are much better, as is less dense scenery but I would really love to fly PMDG aircraft over Central Europe... Last year I managed to improve the FPS (what I just wrote is already maxed out on my system) and I still don't understand why P3D 4.5 just does not use the resources my system offers - it is happily stuttering although the system appears almost idle at just 30-40% CPU (each core, not just total) and 35% GPU load and with plenty memory free on both RAM and VRAM.

I've started flightsim 6 years ago on XP10, switched to P3Dv3 for the graphics and airliners, v4 for stability, now I'm back on XP11 since last year as it feels so more alive having 25-30 FPS reliably and not just while on cruise level. I would wish to be able to use all the expensive scenery and deep study-level addons I bought for P3D but all the low-FPS stutter completely breaks immersion and is highly annoying/inaccurate while hand flying and even during taxi, it's just no fun. High FPS on P3D is like a holy grail and I know there are systems running full addon setups which manage >20FPS. I've spent a lot of money on hardware and my even more valuable spare time trying to get just a few more frames out of that sim but it appears there's just some hardcoded barrier in P3Dv4 that I cannot get past, it's most-likely the unflexible 1990s multithreading-on-a-single-CPU-thread scheduler that's uselessly keeping 60% of CPU free for texture loading etc. even while it's not needed at all. I hoped that P3D v5 would maybe finally optimize that but it seems that has not happened.

Quick summary of my system: i7-4790K 4.0GHz/4.4 Turbo, not overclocked, 32GB RAM, GeForce 1070 (not Ti) with 8GB VRAM, sim running from MLC-SSD. Should be running P3D great in theory but it isn't... Everything apart from P3D runs so fluent that I still don't see any reason to upgrade that system in the next years. For P3D the same configuration has been reported multiple times to run amazingly fluent (at least when the CPU is delidded and overclocked to 5GHz) but most of those test reports appear to be using a quite naked installation with barely any scenery or complex aircraft addons.

55 minutes ago, EnQ said:

I am curious if P3D v5 really managed to somewhat improve performance. Most of what I read/heard so far indicated that no performance gain can be expected having the same addons installed as on v4.5.

Expand the spoiler for my rather long rant about what I don't get about P3D's performance issues...

Reveal hidden contents

Example for worst performance on my system: Loading up Berlin-Tegel in a PMDG 738 NGXu and full Orbx scenery incl. GEN. Aerosoft scenery gives ~13-15 FPS while parked at the gate, Gaya manages to go even lower with 8-12 FPS. This is completely unbearable. Other areas are a bit more manageable such as Aerosoft Cologne with Orbx GES which peaks at around 18 FPS. Other aircraft such as the Majestic Dash 8 are much better, as is less dense scenery but I would really love to fly PMDG aircraft over Central Europe... Last year I managed to improve the FPS (what I just wrote is already maxed out on my system) and I still don't understand why P3D 4.5 just does not use the resources my system offers - it is happily stuttering although the system appears almost idle at just 30-40% CPU (each core, not just total) and 35% GPU load and with plenty memory free on both RAM and VRAM.

I've started flightsim 6 years ago on XP10, switched to P3Dv3 for the graphics and airliners, v4 for stability, now I'm back on XP11 since last year as it feels so more alive having 25-30 FPS reliably and not just while on cruise level. I would wish to be able to use all the expensive scenery and deep study-level addons I bought for P3D but all the low-FPS stutter completely breaks immersion and is highly annoying/inaccurate while hand flying and even during taxi, it's just no fun. High FPS on P3D is like a holy grail and I know there are systems running full addon setups which manage >20FPS. I've spent a lot of money on hardware and my even more valuable spare time trying to get just a few more frames out of that sim but it appears there's just some hardcoded barrier in P3Dv4 that I cannot get past, it's most-likely the unflexible 1990s multithreading-on-a-single-CPU-thread scheduler that's uselessly keeping 60% of CPU free for texture loading etc. even while it's not needed at all. I hoped that P3D v5 would maybe finally optimize that but it seems that has not happened.

Quick summary of my system: i7-4790K 4.0GHz/4.4 Turbo, not overclocked, 32GB RAM, GeForce 1070 (not Ti) with 8GB VRAM, sim running from MLC-SSD. Should be running P3D great in theory but it isn't... Everything apart from P3D runs so fluent that I still don't see any reason to upgrade that system in the next years. For P3D the same configuration has been reported multiple times to run amazingly fluent (at least when the CPU is delidded and overclocked to 5GHz) but most of those test reports appear to be using a quite naked installation with barely any scenery or complex aircraft addons.

I had real issues with v5 initially.. single figure FPS anywhere in default or Orbx scenery in any aircraft.. I am now able to get 20-30fps locked at 30... however that's after a full 5.1 full reinstall.. I did suffer from random ctd so gone back to 4.5 as for me it's way more stable currently..

Not sure if I can install pmdg into both sims at the same time....

I do actually like the new EA setting...

So many variables out there with regards to setups though so it's difficult to compare like for like..

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

Not sure if I can install pmdg into both sims at the same time....

You should be able to.  You should be able to do this with most sceneries and aircraft.  As stated above, if you have the space, there is no harm in running both simulators on the same PC.  You could set P3DV5 up with addons that are well supported and keep 4.5 running with those that are having issues in P3DV5.  I have considered installing P3DV5 myself and just using it for airliners to get a few more frames, but I'm already running several sims, and I'm not sure I have the space or time for another one :rollmyeyes:.  In a day I might use P3DV4, XP11, MSFS and DCS World.  Usually not all in the same day, but it has happened :lol:.

52 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

Usually not all in the same day, but it has happened

:D

I still have v5 installed next to my v4.5 but I'm planning to make room for MSFS2020 by the end of the year. I'm afraid v5 will be uninstalled then.

4 hours ago, EnQ said:

On the contrary in my case (8700K 4.8ghz, 1080ti). V5 really runs very smooth on my system. Known FPS heavy places like Seattle and London are running well with v5. Again, in my case.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:37 PM, Scott Harmes said:

You should be able to.  You should be able to do this with most sceneries and aircraft.  As stated above, if you have the space, there is no harm in running both simulators on the same PC.  You could set P3DV5 up with addons that are well supported and keep 4.5 running with those that are having issues in P3DV5.  I have considered installing P3DV5 myself and just using it for airliners to get a few more frames, but I'm already running several sims, and I'm not sure I have the space or time for another one :rollmyeyes:.  In a day I might use P3DV4, XP11, MSFS and DCS World.  Usually not all in the same day, but it has happened :lol:.

cheers Scott, I guess it's the same as I have with Aerosoft, QW & Carenado installed into both.....

Currently have XP & MSFS on one drive and P3DV4 & 5 on another, I have 2 x 4TB drives.......I chop and change sims on very regular basis, depending on mood and what we are testing.......

having weird happenings in V5.1, yesterday no matter what I did I was struggling with single figure fps, very poor performance, tried everything, eventually I found unlimited fps gave me about 30.....today locked at 30, I get 30.....so strange......have to stick with v4 as I can't be bothered with loading a flight and can't guarantee it wont have poor performance....also with no Activesky either it's disappointing to say the least...

EDIT; after about 45 minutes of flight again I am back down to single digit slideshow...and again up to unlimited fps and back to 30-40.....I give up..

EDIT EDIT; after 5 minutes we are back down to single figures again.....sad face.....

Archived