A Tale of Two Cities

Adam Banks

A "Tale of Two Cities" ... except that they're both Innsbruck!!!

Here's Orbx LOWI in XP11.50b14:

XP11b14-LOWI-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

XP has a really great instant "regenerate weather" function ...

XP11b14-LOWI-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Here we are in P3Dv5 (in standard non-E/A mode):

LOWI-P3-Dv5-1350.jpg?dl=1

I must have spent nearly an hour with Envshade and Reshade, trying to recreate the same colouring and atmosphere as I got (straight away) in XP. I just couldn't do it. P3Dv5 seems to introduce a highly blue-biased band across the middle of the scene - and adds to much red/brown to the rest of the image. Each time I correct the blue, the greens go brown - and vice-versa. I don't remember struggling quite so much in P3D4.5.

Ah well .. long live XP and MS2020!!

Adam.

I gave up on Envshade and Reshade because of the blue band in the horizon . Is that regenerate WX function in XP new ? ; I will have to give it a try .

Cheers

John

As a new user of P3D (yes, I made that decision quite recently... :wacko:) I was impressed by the Orbx products for it, particularly the excellent value global textures and land-class products, and add-ons from the likes of PMDG. The simulator itself fails to impress me. The colours annoy me, the cloud rendering is awful (either classic weather or true sky), seeing buildings through atmosphere, the terrible base simulator package lacking any detail in scenery or airports, the way it is configured, the lack of user friendliness in modifying it... I could go on. The only thing that makes it good is third party developers likes Orbx, A2A, PMDG, FSLabs, etc. In the same vein, having invested a lot into the simulator I then feel somewhat compelled to stick with it.

X-Plane impressed me from the moment I first used it. Its default scenery is still lacking, but it at least has some minimum level of quality for its airports, is easy to install, configure and modify, has lovely lighting and an incredibly responsive developer team. I'm also far more impressed by its Vulkan implementation than I am by P3D's DX12 implementation. Its weather engine, though, is awful. I have repeatedly complained to Laminar Research how immersion breaking the way it handles weather refreshes is. I am hopeful, following recent comments, that this will be improved, at least for X-Plane 12. (Austin commented that improved weather and scenery are crucial for any "next gen" system.)

It is a shame that X-Plane lacks the really in-depth systems of the equivalent P3D add-ons, because it is an excellent sim. X-Plane 12 can only get better, and be a much stronger candidate for MSFS competition. I fear P3D is in the weaker of the two positions, since two of the most popular aircraft developers (FSLabs and PMDG) have both announced the porting of their products to MSFS, and more are sure to do the same. If that is so, I struggle to see what would entice anybody to opt into P3D at that point. It has so much more ground to make up. It could also be that Lockheed Martin has no real ambition to compete with X-Plane 12 (when it arrives) or MSFS. It's made it clear, since its inception, that it is not a product targetted at the consumer market. Time will tell, but we may be looking at a developing two-horse race in the years to come.

Competition is good.

3 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

P3Dv5 seems to introduce a highly blue-biased band across the middle of the scene - and adds to much red/brown to the rest of the image. Each time I correct the blue, the greens go brown - and vice-versa. I don't remember struggling quite so much in P3D4.5.

Totally agree with you. I don't really understand the usefulness of this bluish strip. Possibly to reinforce the blue of the sky but hey, a sky is not always blue ...:rolleyes:

Of the 3 shots I prefer the 3rd, (v5)

The trees are very good, the XP 's are 'foppish' for want of a better term.

XP does a better job of distributing light through a scene & the clouds are better.

One wonders if MSFS will have good trees & clouds 'out of the box":)

TTM

Interesting exercise Adam.

I took the plunge recently and deleted P3D4.5 as I found myself using it less and less in preference to XP11.

It was a big call as I had a considerable investment in it but there's so much about XP11that makes it much more immersive imho, especially the NZ ortho which is absolutely stunning.

Thanks Adam, always like your presets for PTA...flying in P3D V4.5 HF2. BTW, I thought it was just me usually seeing more blue than nature might intend, but now that you mention it, that confirms my own observations, through most of the PTA presets I have applied from time to time...

Sherm

Archived