The Ugly Country - Part 1/7

Dear passengers, welcome aboard our seven-flight-rotation across China, Hong Kong and Tibet. For Chinese customers: across China. China Eastern Airlines shuns no cost to offer their passengers the most interesting flights across this vast country.

So let's get started. Our first flight of this series is going to take us from Beijing Capital Airport (ZBAA) to Shanghai Pudong (ZSPD). The last time we checked, the landscape approximately looked like this:

BzKVUFt.png

At the gate at the China Eastern Terminal (Terminal 2). As you can see, the livery of our plane is quite dull, if not outright ugly.

VmhoXME.jpg

Mountains in the distance when crossing runway 18L/36R on our way to the threshold.

nrXwoG0.jpg

The "impressive" capital city of Beijing during climb. The mountains help to render the sight just semi-ugly.

IJBlFrk.jpg

Uglyness galore.

iIuqaKW.jpg

Even uglier.

YcvgA7A.jpg

A few wooded hills come to the rescue of the inconsolable eye.

cVlJmdd.jpg

Quite ugly, but at least this lake's shape strangely resembles Antarctica. See the Antarctic Peninsula?

VKPSgX7.jpg

The fact that China is going fully digital is something you can observe even on their lake shorelines! So 80s' style!

4xKySli.jpg

The clouds do help a lot to mitigate the uglyness.

8DAOGDh.jpg

The "impressive" city of Shanghai.

hbdSQwr.jpg

Shanghai Hongqiao Airport (ZSSS) at our 2 o'clock.

8jqWxGh.jpg

It got a bit wet when we descended for runway 17R at Pudong.

qmeXPLz.jpg

Close to FAF.

m5b5xey.jpg

Gear down.

eVJEWlt.jpg

Interesting how the AI planes manage to land on the runway, while the airport is actually misplaced by a few hundred feet, so that ILS 17R actually leads into the grass close to 17L. Remember to check "use P3D navaids" or something like this in the aircraft options. Thankfully the seasoned pilot single handedly performed a side step to the right and managed to land on the concrete.

oZfMiQl.jpg

I hope you liked our modest domestic service. Remember to use the window blinds, they can also help with the landscape. The good news is that this was already - almost - the bottom of uglyness that we came across during our service - as far as I know. Next stop: the famous Terracotta army at Xi'an (entry not included in the ticket). Stay tuned!

Disclaimer: Of course, China is *not* an ugly country - it's just suboptimally depicted. This post is not poking fun at anyone.

I enjoyed this series, reminding me of my trip last year when they had the big typoon.

We flew into ZBAA Beijing, and 2 weeks later flew out of ZSPD Pudong. The trip was not ugly, but most fascinating. We didn't do your flight, instead going from Beijing to Shanghai in just 5 hours on the world's fastest railway at 351 kmh. Later we did the worlds fastest mag-lev at 451 kmh - Shanghai to ZSPD. A 1 hour bus trip is just 8 minutes on the Maglev.

Nice photo essay.

A fantastic trip Lars. With a narration I enjoyed, from the introducing description of the countries you will be covering, to the gaps you found in the current sims depiction.

Surprising clear weather you found in Bejing, this must be due to the Corona virus. Last time I landed there we could not see the terminal from the runway´s end...

1 hour ago, ozboater said:

Later we did the worlds fastest mag-lev at 451 kmh - Shanghai to ZSPD. A 1 hour bus trip is just 8 minutes on the Maglev.

Uh, you really hit a record. I have never reached more than 431 km/h on it. But the time gained is true, totally great.

48 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

That's a nice ride my friend

China has lots of great airports but we do urge a good land class there as the terrain is fantastic in some areas

Cheers

Carlos

Agreed. I wait to fly there a lot.

Very nice trip, Lars and I fully feel with you re the ugliness of what P3D (and FSX and XP11) has to offer for this wonderful part of the world. If you allow me to say this: luckily there is help around the corner. Trust me, I've been there :D:D

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Splendid set of shots Lars. :)

Thank you, Adam, Master of Screenshots! I'm glad you found some splendidness in them. :D

9 hours ago, ozboater said:

I enjoyed this series, reminding me of my trip last year when they had the big typoon.

We flew into ZBAA Beijing, and 2 weeks later flew out of ZSPD Pudong. The trip was not ugly, but most fascinating. We didn't do your flight, instead going from Beijing to Shanghai in just 5 hours on the world's fastest railway at 351 kmh. Later we did the worlds fastest mag-lev at 451 kmh - Shanghai to ZSPD. A 1 hour bus trip is just 8 minutes on the Maglev.

Nice photo essay.

Thanks for your report, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Nice shots

John

Thanks, John!

8 hours ago, carlosqr said:

That's a nice ride my friend

China has lots of great airports but we do urge a good land class there as the terrain is fantastic in some areas

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks for your comment, amigo! China has very beautiful landscapes indeed.

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was interesting Lars.  It would be nice if it got the Orbx treatment someday.

Thank you, Jack. Rather sooner than later but I guess we'll have to wait out MSFS first.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

A fantastic trip Lars. With a narration I enjoyed, from the introducing description of the countries you will be covering, to the gaps you found in the current sims depiction.

Surprising clear weather you found in Bejing, this must be due to the Corona virus. Last time I landed there we could not see the terminal from the runway´s end...

Thank you for your uplifting comment, Gerold! The views were indeed surprisingly good on all my flights.

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Very nice trip, Lars and I fully feel with you re the ugliness of what P3D (and FSX and XP11) has to offer for this wonderful part of the world. If you allow me to say this: luckily there is help around the corner. Trust me, I've been there :D:D

Well, thank you for commenting, Bernd. So there's help around the corner? Have you seen the afterlife? ;):D

So guys, if you're fine with the pics and think that the landscape is pretty much OK, China Eastern expresses its gratitude. If you think that the landscape during our flight was not OK, please fill out the form for complaints here. We will then urge the Chinese Government to build a better landscape.

a very great narrative with plenty of ugly shots :o:P Thanks Lars ... I enjoy to see the other ugly or semi-ugly posts B) ... as despite this aesthetic to be improved, a real pleasure to see the post ! :)

3 hours ago, jean marc said:

a very great narrative with plenty of ugly shots :o:P Thanks Lars ... I enjoy to see the other ugly or semi-ugly posts B) ... as despite this aesthetic to be improved, a real pleasure to see the post ! :)

Thank you very much, Jean Marc, I'm glad that you're fine with the dose of uglyness. :lol:

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Some fine "ugly" shots Adam , more please . :rolleyes::P:D

Thank you, I'll forward Adam the good news! :D

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Thank you very much, Jean Marc, I'm glad that you're fine with the dose of uglyness. :lol:

Thank you, I'll forward Adam the good news! :D

Sorry Lars , too much 4th of July festivities . :(:D

Archived