Broome

makapala

I'm a brit but I'm lucky enough to have visited a lot of places and Broome is one of them. I thought this really gives a sense of the scale of the outback that surrounds the town. A lot of places around there are pretty rough.. Derby isnt somewhere I'd recommend hanging around.. but Broome has a really vibrant arts culture, a sense of history and beautiful beaches.. just mind the stingers, crocs, western coastal taipans, redbacks, etc etc lol

The only major issue with flight sim Broome is the lack of tides.. and that really changes the feel of the place. that green area is actually mangrove swamp and the blue sea to the right is very muddy tidal flats. I know other places like Barra Beach in Scotland have tidal issues on sims.. maybe one day they'll sort them.

Also, as free aircraft go, that Rikoooo Soloy Mk2 is one of the best I've ever seen.. on a par or better than some of my payware models. and it works brilliantly with RealityXP and P3D v5

broome1.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks.  Can it be deadly?

Oh yes, but not frequently. I was bitten by one once and was pretty sick. A young child, elderly or somebody already ill would be most a risk. Bigger hazards in that part of the world though, any idea what a "saltie" is?

Just now, Ian St said:

Oh yes, but not frequently. I was bitten by one once and was pretty sick. A young child, elderly or somebody already ill would be most a risk. Bigger hazards in that part of the world though, any idea what a "saltie" is?

Thanks.  If I'm not mistaken, I think it's a crocodile?  But what fascinates me is how many things are poisonous there.  I always wonder how people live and thrive with so many things that could kill someone.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks.  If I'm not mistaken, I think it's a crocodile?  But what fascinates me is how many things are poisonous there.  I always wonder how people live and thrive with so many things that could kill someone.

Correct - Saltwater or Estuarine Crocodile.  H'mm I don't know, people just adapt and get on with it I suppose, keeping a safe distance. I live near surf beaches and mates talk about going surfing and seeing sharks then going back out the next day, I can't figure that out.

4 minutes ago, Ian St said:

Correct - Saltwater or Estuarine Crocodile.  H'mm I don't know, people just adapt and get on with it I suppose, keeping a safe distance. I live near surf beaches and mates talk about going surfing and seeing sharks then going back out the next day, I can't figure that out.

I saw a YT a long time ago about these tiny, almost microscopic jellyfish that can kill in minutes.  Aren’t even the ants poisonous?

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks.  Can it be deadly?

Pretty much a Black Widow spider. They're everywhere.. last time I saw them was in a public toilet at a barbie site in the Blue Mountains directly above my urinal :D

Saw a brown snake in Broome. home owner took a shovel to it. Just top left in the pic is an area to the north of the runway. That's where the saltie farm is.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I saw a YT a long time ago about these tiny, almost microscopic jellyfish that can kill in minutes.  Aren’t even the ants poisonous?

mate.. even the SHELLS are poisonous.. box jellyfish aka stingers are horrid. that feeling of dread when you stick your toe in that blue sea under a baking sun and realise you are completely surrounded by jellys

3 hours ago, Ian St said:

i hung out with surfers in Hawaii back in my younger days.. that's why my name is Makapala.. in fact Makapala is exactly the kind of place you don't go surfing coz of the rips and sharks.. for those who know Hawaii.. it's at the end of the road before Pololu Valley on the Kohala side of Big Island.

Great shot, but even greater narration, makapala!

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

What an excellent view!  And since I'm a yank, what is a redback?  I love learning new things here.

I once had one falling out of the minibar on my last Tasmania trip. Not the greatest starter instaed of a drink.

4 hours ago, Ian St said:

Correct - Saltwater or Estuarine Crocodile

Last year we went on a walking tour with a (pretty western) Aborigine in Daintree Rainforest. He said "you can swim with freshwater crocs, but you can never trust a saltie." An experts opinion...

5 hours ago, makapala said:

mate.. even the SHELLS are poisonous.. box jellyfish aka stingers are horrid. that feeling of dread when you stick your toe in that blue sea under a baking sun and realise you are completely surrounded by jellys

Dang!

When we were there we spent a night in a swag under the stars near Fitzroy Crossing.. we travelled back via Windjana Gorge - seen here on Orbx Aus v2. Lots of freshies there if you are brave enough hah

image.thumb.png.2e5fae3e1a7868851f692f8ac6048a42.png

Windjana Gorge resident freshie:

197114_5358797366_1227_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=RfyKwt-pucQAX9Q9KMd&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=81ac4433195b5e2960b7007312fd0367&oe=5F18BDD7

Broome Saltie:

208526_5358712366_6184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=ntVjpkdtgowAX_Qqo5y&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=a827e46555b8745cb64ae854e4d47547&oe=5F1A1E38

Finally - referring back to OP I mentioned about the mangroves in Broome... found a pic I took. 

208838_5358722366_6746_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=tSxvHS3GpUQAX-IpAsT&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=221c2419478a560e0bb64b72295a6f47&oe=5F1B1D91

On 6/24/2020 at 9:44 AM, makapala said:

Also, as free aircraft go, that Rikoooo Soloy Mk2 is one of the best I've ever seen.. on a par or better than some of my payware models. and it works brilliantly with RealityXP and P3D v5

The aircraft is by Thomas Röhl and merely hosted by Rickoooo.

Credit where credit is due etc.

22 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Irukandji. Yes, very poisonous, if they wrap their tentacles around you, you are in deep trouble. Yes, we have ants in our garden much bigger than European ants that give you a nasty sting if they bite you.

Not doing much for Australian tourism, this thread.

1 minute ago, Ian St said:

Irukandji. Yes, very poisonous, if they wrap their tentacles around you, you are in deep trouble. Yes, we have ants in our garden much bigger than European ants that give you a nasty sting if they bite you.

Not doing much for Australian tourism, this thread.

Thanks, I'd visit Australia right now if I had the money.  It's on my wish list of things to do.

Archived