P3D V5 over Catalina

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Stillwater said:

Quite the serious way of flying, Jack. 

I was reluctant enough to stay with v4.5, so I cannot join any discussion.

Thanks Gerold, the Extra was designed for this kind of flying in real life.  V5 looks ok, but I think it still needs work, it causes CTD’s with certain add-ons.  And who wants to use a flight simulator with plain LM scenery anyway?  I don’t.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Gerold, the Extra was designed for this kind of flying in real life.  V5 looks ok, but I think it still needs work, it causes CTD’s with certain add-ons.  And who wants to use a flight simulator with plain LM scenery anyway?  I don’t.

All of my Orbx scenery works great in V5 , I’m confused by your answer Jack . 

John

2 minutes ago, BradB said:

All of my Orbx scenery works great in V5 , I’m confused by your answer Jack . 

John

Maybe I phrased it wrong.  I meant who would want to fly a sim that has no add-ons at all.  Most of mine, Orbx excepted cause CTD’s in this version.  If AS and PMDG stuff causes CTD’s then I have no time or patience for hassling with V5.  

19 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Maybe I phrased it wrong.  I meant who would want to fly a sim that has no add-ons at all.  Most of mine, Orbx excepted cause CTD’s in this version.  If AS and PMDG stuff causes CTD’s then I have no time or patience for hassling with V5.  

Anything in particular, Jack? Is it just those two (AS, PMDG)? I've spent the last month or so setting up a new pc, win10 and all my sims again and I've found P3Dv5 to be fairly amenable generally. Load times suck big time, but apparently LM are aware of that and plan to rectify it, and it has a few foibles regards visuals on occasion, but it is so much faster than v4. I'd given up on P3D as my v4 seemed to get slower and slower as the scenery got better and better. I never could get TrueEarth GB to run acceptably (to my taste, anyway - I don't see the point of having really good quality scenery if I have to dial the sliders right back to be able to fly over it). But even on my old PC, v5 gave me my P3D back. I've installed scenery going back to P3Dv2 levels, even FSX in a couple of occasions, without problems (and without using the old migration tool approach anymore - I've discovered the joys of xml files), and any aircraft I could load and run in v4 seems to have installed into v5 ok. But then admittedly I don't go for the PMDG type of thing - although my Captain Sim and Aerosoft Pro stuff seems ok (even if I can't fly them any better in v5 than I could in v4). I don't miss PTA or any of the sky/cloud/weather stuff I had in the past, although I'll no doubt grab the upgraded versions of all that stuff as it arrives - v5 looks pretty good out of the box to me.

All of which has been a surprise added bonus really. I got a new PC in anticipation of FS2020 later in the year/millenium, not particularly for P3D which still sits behind XP in my personal choice list.

But if there is anything in particular you're stuck with I'll be happy to help if I can.

49 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Anything in particular, Jack? Is it just those two (AS, PMDG)? I've spent the last month or so setting up a new pc, win10 and all my sims again and I've found P3Dv5 to be fairly amenable generally. Load times suck big time, but apparently LM are aware of that and plan to rectify it, and it has a few foibles regards visuals on occasion, but it is so much faster than v4. I'd given up on P3D as my v4 seemed to get slower and slower as the scenery got better and better. I never could get TrueEarth GB to run acceptably (to my taste, anyway - I don't see the point of having really good quality scenery if I have to dial the sliders right back to be able to fly over it). But even on my old PC, v5 gave me my P3D back. I've installed scenery going back to P3Dv2 levels, even FSX in a couple of occasions, without problems (and without using the old migration tool approach anymore - I've discovered the joys of xml files), and any aircraft I could load and run in v4 seems to have installed into v5 ok. But then admittedly I don't go for the PMDG type of thing - although my Captain Sim and Aerosoft Pro stuff seems ok (even if I can't fly them any better in v5 than I could in v4). I don't miss PTA or any of the sky/cloud/weather stuff I had in the past, although I'll no doubt grab the upgraded versions of all that stuff as it arrives - v5 looks pretty good out of the box to me.

All of which has been a surprise added bonus really. I got a new PC in anticipation of FS2020 later in the year/millenium, not particularly for P3D which still sits behind XP in my personal choice list.

But if there is anything in particular you're stuck with I'll be happy to help if I can.

Thanks Andy.  It's personal preference.  First I was getting CTD's at a LOT of Orbx airports.  I was working from a list of supposedly Orbx compatible products.  Too many caused CTD's with just the default Extra.  So I chalked it up to those airports needing a fix, and Central has had many airport updates so I reckon they have resolved them.

My 4.5 is still running smooth so no complaints.

I only like to run what I call "real" planes.  A2A, PMDG, and slightly less real, Aerosoft's Airbus (I won't mention how I REALLY feel about Aerosoft publicly however).  

So call me a snob but I don't like ANY freeware, it has to be as close to a real world aircraft, maybe I'm spoiled from working the real planes, I dunno.  But I detest freeware planes.

I was alpha testing MS2020 and quit in disgust.  I won't state publicly why but I will NOT be using it.

Anyway with PMDG's 747 and AS for V5 it's CTD city, I do not have time in my life for frustrations.  I will NOT learn xml stuff, I have more important things going on. Put it this way.  I think ALL devs should emulate Orbx's Central.  I like it simple.  I want to sit down and fly not faff around with ridiculous xml codes and other nonsense.  I play PS4 games, I don't have a keyboard for it and don't have to screw around with code, I loathe it.

I have even read on a not named forum that certain aircraft devs are not even bothering with coding their plane until one or more hot fixes are released from Lockheed.  In my opinion I think LM pulled a fast one on everyone by releasing a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha with V5.

Again, this is my philosophy, I like to turn on the PC, go to Central for updates which is easy.  THEN fly.  I do not want to EVER mess with files or xml.  I have a heck of a lot more hobbies like my wood shop, writing, hiking, comics, and stuff than to mess with frustrating stuff.

Sorry for the rant.  But V5 is rubbish, if I could get a refund I would.

And, Ultimate Traffic will NEVER be available for V5 so it's totally pointless to even run a sim without AI traffic, I simply won't abide by it.

Great pics, buddy, I had similar experiences with XP11.5, now I'm back to 11.4 and I'm a happy customer again. Re your experiences with the new sim, I know exactly what you mean. That is why they call it "alpha" :) It frustrates a lot, but at least it gives me the feeling that we help them to make it a better product, so I don't complain. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Sorry for the rant.

No worries Jack. I guess we have different philosophies re the aircraft - I'm slowly getting interested in what all those buttons do but mostly I just want to get up in the air and look out the window (or more likely take an outside view anyway), but I can appreciate your take on it. And if those birds won't fly in v5 then it ain't for you.

Me, I'm still mourning the loss of the working flying saucer from FSX <grin>

Happy flying!

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great pics, buddy, I had similar experiences with XP11.5, now I'm back to 11.4 and I'm a happy customer again. Re your experiences with the new sim, I know exactly what you mean. That is why they call it "alpha" :) It frustrates a lot, but at least it gives me the feeling that we help them to make it a better product, so I don't complain. 

Thanks Bernd.  If they want me to help them make their product better they should ask me or PAY me.  Why should I pay full freight only to be their test bed.  Either release a stable product or get the heck out of the business. 

nice shots Jack, I am on the fence with v5 at the moment, I actually uninstalled it yesterday and will revisit once it works for me....I can't use a sim that has me on edge worrying it's gonna crash.... I only installed stuff that was supposedly ready for the v5 version but after the original invisable walls, then the DXIG Hung thing and thn CTD randomly that I couldn't reproduce I thought 'no, leave it and go back to v4 and XP'......the rest of you getting no issues I am a little jealous but I have patiance....

6 hours ago, wain71 said:

nice shots Jack, I am on the fence with v5 at the moment, I actually uninstalled it yesterday and will revisit once it works for me....I can't use a sim that has me on edge worrying it's gonna crash.... I only installed stuff that was supposedly ready for the v5 version but after the original invisable walls, then the DXIG Hung thing and thn CTD randomly that I couldn't reproduce I thought 'no, leave it and go back to v4 and XP'......the rest of you getting no issues I am a little jealous but I have patiance....

Thanks Wain.  Yup, I hear ya.

Archived