UP and Away and Down..............

Iain Emms

Beautiful shots Iain, sorry about that last one.  I had my very own, personal, just for me Harrier air show when I was stationed in Idaho.

We were having an exercise so no one was allowed on the flight line.  The flight chief told me and only me to go to a plane for something.  I was halfway across the immense flight line when all of a sudden three Harriers came in for a landing.  They were making a normal approach, not vertical.  Yet when they saw me they all stopped in mid air and rotated their planes around 360 degrees and then went on to land.  It took a while to pick my jaw up off that flight line.

Great shots, as usual Iain... It seems you really hit the runway. What else?

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

We were having an exercise so no one was allowed on the flight line.  The flight chief told me and only me to go to a plane for something.  I was halfway across the immense flight line when all of a sudden three Harriers came in for a landing.  They were making a normal approach, not vertical.  Yet when they saw me they all stopped in mid air and rotated their planes around 360 degrees and then went on to land.  It took a while to pick my jaw up off that flight line.

Amazing memory, Jack. Good that you made it to this forum, it is much safer...

Great shots Iain and what a fantastic piece of engineering the Harrier was. Got to see one doing similar approach as yours not more than 1000 ft from me at Baldonnel outside Dublin.. It landed without bursting into flames!!!!! Enjoyed the story.

John.

Thank you John, The first time i saw the Harrier was when i was an apprentice in the shipyard at the launch of HMS Invincible in the late 1970s they did a fly past then bowed their noses towards the ship it was quiet a sight.

cheers

Iain

Archived