Hey man! The Champ lives.

VH-KDK

I cannot remember which one of the Real Air Champion planes this is but it is alive and well in P3Dv5.

Zo9itzs.jpg

It is seen here flying over Hayman Island which is the most northerly of the popular Whitsunday Islands. Hayman was formerly owned by Ansett who built a luxury hotel on the small island in 1950. In those days you got to the island by Catalina or Sandringham flying boats!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

I cannot remember which one of the Real Air Champion planes this is but it is alive and well in P3Dv5.

It is seen here flying over Hayman Island which is the most northerly of the popular Whitsunday Islands. Hayman was formerly owned by Ansett who built a luxury hotel on the small island in 1950. In those days you got to the island by Catalina or Sandringham flying boats!

Great plane. I miss it so much as I have the realair  version which I cant install anymore and I lost my old installed aircraft...  And this is the scout btw ;)

12 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Oooohh, and that's just one plane I seriously want to have but unfortunately not for sale anymore. I wish Realair made it freeware now they're out of business.

It is actually still on sale at flight1 ;) look for american champion aircraft. Unfortunately I bought it from realair website and my installer is not working anymore.... And Although I miss it dearly I don't think I will buy it again.... I'm often tempted though :)

3 minutes ago, merlinux said:

It is actually still on sale at flight1

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it but I rather don't buy a discontinued product which is originally made for FSX. Although it's very tempting. :)

16 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it but I rather don't buy a discontinued product which is originally made for FSX. Although it's very tempting. :)

Same here, although I know the plane works well in P3D (even in v5 according to this post). And seeing how I gave a second life to my c185f by integrating a gtn650 in the VC, it could be worth it.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:29 PM, merlinux said:

Great plane. I miss it so much as I have the realair  version which I cant install anymore and I lost my old installed aircraft...  And this is the scout btw ;)

One of my very old favourites which I have on dvd!

Thanks for the id too.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:07 AM, bvdboomen said:

Oooohh, and that's just one plane I seriously want to have but unfortunately not for sale anymore. I wish Realair made it freeware now they're out of business.

It is a very good plane to fly Ben, one of my favourites.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:31 AM, Stillwater said:

Oh what a location! And could cou imagine those few rich Rockefellers being able to travel there in a Catalina in the 1950s? Unbelievable.

How times have changed Gerold, places that were just for the rich when I was young were, up until recently, accessible to us hoi polloi.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:02 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Do people still live there now?  I would love it as I grew up on an island and would love to go back.

It is a private island, owned by Malaysian interests with a resort. So you could only go there for a holiday once the lockdown has finished.

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

One of my very old favourites which I have on dvd!

Thanks for the id too.

I just did what I shouldn't have (I'm a chef and my bank account hasn't been looking good lately), I bought a 13yo piece of software a second time (thank you 'flight one' for having the rights to this aircraft :) ). A blast from the past! Realair were the best. Just annoying that the gauges are partly part of the textures and I can't fit the gtn650 in the VC...

On 5/30/2020 at 11:33 PM, merlinux said:

I just did what I shouldn't have (I'm a chef and my bank account hasn't been looking good lately), I bought a 13yo piece of software a second time (thank you 'flight one' for having the rights to this aircraft :) ). A blast from the past! Realair were the best. Just annoying that the gauges are partly part of the textures and I can't fit the gtn650 in the VC...

I hope you enjoy it again.

It has really stood the test of time and money well spent.:)

Just now, VH-KDK said:

I hope you enjoy it again.

It has really stood the test of time and money well spent.:)

I will make sure to post some screenies ;) It is beyond belief how Realair was ahead of its time. The only thing that shows its age is probably the paintkit which is a bit cartoonish... Their later products are visually top notch. But this was released in 2007 :) I wished they had made a v2 for the champion aircrafts before going down like they did for the legacy and the dukes.

23 hours ago, merlinux said:

I will make sure to post some screenies ;) It is beyond belief how Realair was ahead of its time. The only thing that shows its age is probably the paintkit which is a bit cartoonish... Their later products are visually top notch. But this was released in 2007 :) I wished they had made a v2 for the champion aircrafts before going down like they did for the legacy and the dukes.

Yes they did make some excellent planes, one of the first pay ware planes I bought was the Duke. I must get that going again along with their Spitfire.

Don't know nuthin' about the Scout but I took an aerobatic course once in a Citabria - basically the same thing but in beefing up for funny flying the plane became so heavy that, if you and the instructor had more a a dollar in change between you, chances are you were over gross. 

4 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Don't know nuthin' about the Scout but I took an aerobatic course once in a Citabria - basically the same thing but in beefing up for funny flying the plane became so heavy that, if you and the instructor had more a a dollar in change between you, chances are you were over gross. 

Not the greatest attribute for an aerobatic plane then.

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Beautiful shot   Martyn, so tranquil.

Don

Thanks Don and a tranquil place indeed although the sharks have become a bit nasty over the last few years.:ph34r:

Archived