A rare sight

VH-KDK

1.6MrcMnR.jpg

I can remember the first time seeing one of the R4D/C-117s in a book when I was very young and thinking how modern it looked.

I have never ever seen one of these rare birds.

2.njRR6NK.jpg

We had a but tour from the end of our cruise from Whittier to Anchorage and at the end we had the choice of being dropped off at our hotel or going to the PANC to drop some people off.

3.DPr5Qtc.jpg

It was a long and painful decision but I eventually decided  to take the trip to the airport.:rolleyes:

4.hRKNrB9.jpg

Hidden amongst the trees along the West International Airport Road was this Trans Northern C-117, I think N29TN.

5.5TPxdIA.jpg

Not only one but there was another, N30TN.

Not the best snaps taken from through the bus window but not a common plane either.

46 minutes ago, BradB said:

Super shots Martyn , I have inspected these old birds in person one time on a visit many years ago visiting my sister . Did you by chance get by Lake Hood ? .

That would have been great to see close up. 

Yes we drove past parts of Lake Hood and what an amazing place that is too.

I could spend hours looking around this area as there are all sorts of planes to be seen in every direction!:lol:

13 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Great little story and discover behind the trees :) This plane reminds me a kind of russian version I've been lucky to use in Laos 30 years ago O0

Thanks Jean Marc.

Very interesting about Laos, would that have been the Li-2?

6 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Excellent shots Martyn.  Your pictures from the bus are also very good.

Thanks for the compliment John.

Many problems with taking snaps through glass, reflections, dirty and scratched glass to name a few.:(

Not a good idea to wear a bright top when trying to record what is outside!:lol:

14 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Very interesting about Laos, would that have been the Li-2?

Well difficult to remind - I think a bit more rescent like a Antonov 26 (more seats too) but you are right the Li-2 is more similar to your plane...

I need to look for a shot I took ... not easy to find it as it was so many years ago O0 I remind the all cyrilics notes inside the plane and in the cockpit of course (at that time it was easy to visit it :))

Ok Jean Marc, a long time ago for sure!

Great fun the cyrillics aren't they?

One week end I drove a Belarus tractor on a farm near Mildura and everything was in Cyrillic. I worked out the tachometer though as I didn't think I was going at 1000 kmh!:blink::huh::wacko::lol:

Beautiful shots and seeing them rare birds is amazing Martyn. Sadly tough T-Bone, I and the rest of the Mule Team are so old there are no more spare parts. Some even suggested to throw out the molds :angry::D:DAw, wait Gerold meant our C 47 and not us, amirit? Or what?:rolleyes::D

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful shots and seeing them rare birds is amazing Martyn. Sadly tough T-Bone, I and the rest of the Mule Team are so old there are no more spare parts. Some even suggested to throw out the molds :angry::D:DAw, wait Gerold meant our C 47 and not us, amirit? Or what?:rolleyes::D

Thanks Karl but I thought the moulds that were used in making you lot were ordered to be destroyed at all costs!:o:ph34r::lol:

Definitely not much culture amongst the Mule Team.:wacko:

Archived