XP - KORS to "KCTD"

Jack Sawyer

XP

All Orbx, everything they make for XP

I started out at KORS, flew around the mountain, even buzzed KVBS I think it was, then turned on ASXP, got all clouds.

Wanted to land at KSEA.

So I turned it off and wanted to manually adjust weather, bam CTD.  Adios XP.

I will post some XP shots I have banked but it's back to P3D 99% of the time.

I LOVE what Orbx did but have no joy for X-Plane anymore.  About the only thing it is now good for to me is comic backgrounds.

ZNpLqyG.jpg

9Kpi4rh.jpg

U30JhoT.jpg

L9ri4uX.jpg

fU07Ac9.jpg

xMn1on7.jpg

1sOMeZG.jpg

XXB0Wa6.jpg

YM3eXL1.jpg

900pqXr.jpg

QZvlN7I.jpg

2 minutes ago, NineMile41 said:

Still great shots Jack. I had a feeling a long time ago that you would come back to P3D. To many scripts to play with and no one knows what they cause.

NineMile

I never left P3D NM, I just don't post all my flights I make behind the scenes.

Maybe someday XP will be better for me, who knows.

Now if Orbx would ever come out with an Atlanta then it will be a major game changer.  But I doubt that would ever happen, not in my lifetime anyway, despite me willing to pay privately big money, I mean real big $.

4 hours ago, adambar said:

Dropped XP a long time ago Jack, to much of a pain, besides one sim is enough for me. :D  Nice shots amyway! :)

Thanks Adam, I can see that.  If I run it, it will be fully expecting problems.  Now if Orbx could create an Atlanta I’d be all over XP.

Jack this may be a longshot, and this is a while ago now, but I had very annoying CTD's start happening on me. I couldn't fly XP without it crashing. Then I stumbled upon an old posting by an XP developer, one of the main dudes, who said that XP should NOT be installed in the default Programs Files or Program Files x86 folder  on your drive. He recommended installing it in your desktop folder. This worked! Since then I have installed another version of XP 11.35. It is not on my desktop but I have it in it's own folder on my C drive. Both versions work fine now. Sorry for your problems. I know how frustrating it can be. 

32 minutes ago, BobT said:

Jack this may be a longshot, and this is a while ago now, but I had very annoying CTD's start happening on me. I couldn't fly XP without it crashing. Then I stumbled upon an old posting by an XP developer, one of the main dudes, who said that XP should NOT be installed in the default Programs Files or Program Files x86 folder  on your drive. He recommended installing it in your desktop folder. This worked! Since then I have installed another version of XP 11.35. It is not on my desktop but I have it in it's own folder on my C drive. Both versions work fine now. Sorry for your problems. I know how frustrating it can be. 

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it.  Mine is installed in its own SSD far removed from the Windows drive.  I think it’s just plug-in incompatibilities 

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure how relevant it is in your case, but how much RAM have you got? I only have TE GBS for XP, but I've noticed that it chews through RAM like crazy. I was getting random CTDs until I started monitoring memory usage (unlike P3D, XP gives you no warning whatsoever when it runs out of physical memory). It turned out 16 GB simply wasn't enough, so I had to upgrade...

HTH,

Tym

6 minutes ago, TymK said:

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure how relevant it is in your case, but how much RAM have you got? I only have TE GBS for XP, but I've noticed that it chews through RAM like crazy. I was getting random CTDs until I started monitoring memory usage (unlike P3D, XP gives you no warning whatsoever when it runs out of physical memory). It turned out 16 GB simply wasn't enough, so I had to upgrade...

HTH,

Tym

Hi Tym, 32GB.  It CTD'd because I was messing with weather settings, one setting change too much and poof.

I see... It's just one of those things, then... I know the feeling, I've been trying hard to like XP, but there's always something. I still keep it installed for some casual flying in the UK, though, I just LOVE the Orbx autogen/custom objects in that scenery.

Just now, TymK said:

I see... It's just one of those things, then... I know the feeling, I've been trying hard to like XP, but there's always something. I still keep it installed for some casual flying in the UK, though, I just LOVE the Orbx autogen/custom objects in that scenery.

I agree Tym, I like it only because of the Orbx stuff.  It is good for casual flying but not what I really like to do.  But just sightseeing it’s good.

But like I keep on about, I hope before I fall off the twig someone will make Atlanta with my house.  Probably not allowed to say this but $1K to Orbx for it in P3D.  I can dream can’t I?

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

But like I keep on about, I hope before I fall off the twig someone will make Atlanta with my house.  Probably not allowed to say this but $1K to Orbx for it in P3D.  I can dream can’t I?

Well, you're much more likely to get your home represented in the sim than I am, that's for sure... ;) Maybe the next MS product will help in that respect, but I'm not on the "MSFS will be the Holy Grail of flight simming" bandwagon, not yet at any rate.

1 hour ago, BobT said:

It's likely that someone will be FS2020

I'm cautiously optimistic about that one, but that's still a long wait... ;)

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I don't have any XP knowledge, so no comments to that.

Just my compliments for the set of pictures you posted, where #3 is my favorite.....is it a sim or real...?

-Fred-

Thanks Fred!  It’s hard to tell sometimes.

Hi Jack! Though it’s sad to hear you’re leaving XP11, your shots are amazing! For me, XP11 has been a delightful experience on two aspects: excellent frame rates and amazing terrain. I particularly love TE GB for XP11 and all its airports. I don’t experience crashes on XP11. On the other hand, I am still far from happy with XP11 in the following aspects: very poor weather representation (even with Active Sky - I tried other products too, with no success), lack of perfect planes such as A2A or PMDG (Though I like IXEG and Carenado), lack of a more realistic ATC, lack of a good real traffic solution (I know one will be released soon), poor water representation, lack of moving people, leaves, animals etc like avaliable on ORBX sceneries for P3D. Lastly, the lack of winter and snow.... I think these are my main concerns, they really make everything feel less pleasurable due to the lack of realism. When I want to fly by the rules, and feel the “meat in the bones” as you once said, I opt for P3D. I recently bought ORBX Kiruna.for P3D. I put the visuals on 1 km, heavy snow, turbulence and winds and Oh My God! That was absolutely realistic and immersive. I love P3D. I am trying to love XP11. 

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I think it’s just plug-in incompatibilities 

And this is what I think as well. The plugin facilities offer a possibility to create and use system addons or so called "plugins".

The most famous is the "Fly with Lua" which has endless capabilities. Plugins may be freeware or payware, professional software

or a bit more simple. But it's up to the developers to check for all these incompatibilities also regarding Xplane itself. Laminar won't do this.

So it may happen that a plugin is not really compatibel with Xplane or with other plugins. It may also happen that a special combination

of plugins creates problems. If this all doesn't happen the sim is as stable as P3d.

Your scenery looks good anyway Jack and to me it's a big and complete 64-bit sim and runs well just as P3d.

So throw it all out and start again from scratch, possibly with a complete new download. And make a copy of the very first XP installation.

One of the biggest advantages of Xplane is that everything sits in one folder and you can copy it anywhere and start it.  

9 hours ago, andiflyit said:

And this is what I think as well. The plugin facilities offer a possibility to create and use system addons or so called "plugins".

The most famous is the "Fly with Lua" which has endless capabilities. Plugins may be freeware or payware, professional software

or a bit more simple. But it's up to the developers to check for all these incompatibilities also regarding Xplane itself. Laminar won't do this.

So it may happen that a plugin is not really compatibel with Xplane or with other plugins. It may also happen that a special combination

of plugins creates problems. If this all doesn't happen the sim is as stable as P3d.

Your scenery looks good anyway Jack and to me it's a big and complete 64-bit sim and runs well just as P3d.

So throw it all out and start again from scratch, possibly with a complete new download. And make a copy of the very first XP installation.

One of the biggest advantages of Xplane is that everything sits in one folder and you can copy it anywhere and start it.  

Thanks Andreas, I agree 100%.  I already have a plain vanilla install.  Without Orbx stuff it’s boring and I don’t use plugins in itt.

10 hours ago, Dario said:

Hi Jack! Though it’s sad to hear you’re leaving XP11, your shots are amazing! For me, XP11 has been a delightful experience on two aspects: excellent frame rates and amazing terrain. I particularly love TE GB for XP11 and all its airports. I don’t experience crashes on XP11. On the other hand, I am still far from happy with XP11 in the following aspects: very poor weather representation (even with Active Sky - I tried other products too, with no success), lack of perfect planes such as A2A or PMDG (Though I like IXEG and Carenado), lack of a more realistic ATC, lack of a good real traffic solution (I know one will be released soon), poor water representation, lack of moving people, leaves, animals etc like avaliable on ORBX sceneries for P3D. Lastly, the lack of winter and snow.... I think these are my main concerns, they really make everything feel less pleasurable due to the lack of realism. When I want to fly by the rules, and feel the “meat in the bones” as you once said, I opt for P3D. I recently bought ORBX Kiruna.for P3D. I put the visuals on 1 km, heavy snow, turbulence and winds and Oh My God! That was absolutely realistic and immersive. I love P3D. I am trying to love XP11. 

Thanks Dario, couldn’t have said it better myself.

Archived