Two Questions on P3d

MGC

Hi all.

I am thinking about moving to P3D.

Can someone tell me how P3d V4.5 will perform on a system made up of an i7 2600K overclocked to 4.3 GHz with 16GB RAM; an nVidia 1050TI; and an Samsung EVO SSD?

Second Question: Can I install all the Orbx sceneries I have on P3d if I uninstall FSX?

Thx

1 hour ago, MGC said:

Hi all.

I am thinking about moving to P3D.

Can someone tell me how P3d V4.5 will perform on a system made up of an i7 2600K overclocked to 4.3 GHz with 16GB RAM; an nVidia 1050TI; and an Samsung EVO SSD?

Second Question: Can I install all the Orbx sceneries I have on P3d if I uninstall FSX?

Thx

I'm no expert in these matters - but you have an almost identical system to me - and 3 months ago I moved from Steam FX - to PR3d.

I just installed PDR3  as instructed - and then asked Central 3 - as it was then - and since you own whatever Orbx product you have - Central will install it for you.

I bought a few new a/c -  because your not all SFX A/Cs  work on PRD3 - I don't think ?? - and even with the powerful Britain TE South - PRD3 perform well enough.

PRd3 actually improved some of my Orbx products - esp my own home town Gold Coast and the airport. I have taken a lot of long distance flights around Queensland in 

the sim and covered Victoria around Philip Island and the Great road to Apollo Bay inland - back to Moorabbin (the Orbx Moorabbin is brilliant) - all in Aus V2

I have just actually decided to give Xplane a go - which you will find as I did that the highest spec they recommend is the same as yours - the 1050ti being better than than 

the 1070. I also bought the whole TE Britain package - ( on ORBx special and Xplane from steam $A79) - and used the new Central and it loaded the full 350gigs without any probs.

The reason I gave Xplane a go was -  I was getting fed up of waiting  - first of all -  for PD3 to load to the splash screen - then seemingly forever for the whole thing to load to flight.

Xplane loaded first time in 30 secs - and full load to runway position in less than 3 mins. I bought the original Cherokee 140 and the Arrow 111 that I trained on at Moorabbin in the 70s

I will be keeping the PD3 so that I will still be able to use all the Orbx stuff and a/cs - that I already bought and won't work on Xplane - especially my Australia V2 and all my airports etc

I see that you only mention 1 DD - an SSD no size  - You don't mention any other - so a word of caution -  these 2 sims + most of the normal load of Orbx as recommended - chews up Hard disc space - so keep an eye on this aspect - no matter which sim you use. I have 3 - 500 gbs HDDs and they are full - so I am in the process of redoing every thing on a new set of 3 -  2 TB HDDs - ( I can't afford SSDs) - eg The Xplane exercise took up 460gigs of an empty 500 HDD - so no room for anything else.

Any thing else - please ask

Thanks for your comebacks. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Sadly, I won't have the A2A aircraft however I think most of the Carenado planes will work. I have plenty of disk space.

Thanks again,

Mike

I had Prepar3d running on a i7 2600K (great chip!) until a few years ago and it did work quite well. Recent Prepar3d versions even have a (slightly) better performance, so this should work. 16GB RAM are okay. I can't comment on the 1050Ti but I am pretty sure it will fit as well, maybe with lower AA settings.

The key is to find the proper settings. You certainly can't have all sliders at the right end. Notably avoid Autogen higher than Medium, and try switching off shadows in case of trouble.

As Mike states, leave the ORBX FSX installation intact as ORBX Central can grab files from it.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi,

i7 2600K is a good chip, 16GB or Ram is all you need for Flight Sims or other games, my old Pc my son has now, is a i7 2600K GTX560 DDR3 16GB Ram, runs like a beast still, so a 1050Ti will be fine. And the guys are right about leaving FSX installed, personally, I still do FSX Missions, am still a big fan of the old girl, great sim.

You should run P3Dv4.5 just fine. Leave the FSX in place if you have enough drive space. In any event make copies of the FSX default aircraft as you can use them in the P3D as the default planes in it are different than FSX. For example there is no Beech Baron in P3D.

Howard

"As Mike states, leave the ORBX FSX installation intact as ORBX Central can grab files from it."

Unfortunately that's no longer true. The "search for files locally" functionality was excluded from ORBX Central. See Mitch's answer to my question here:  

Hi, most ORBX stuff will run fine, the powerful and trusted I 2600-2700K where beast and still good today.

The 2600K may struggle with a few demanding scenery , as an example, city scene Gold Coast was hard on my 2600K even at 4,4ghz.

If you ever want to upgrade on a budget check my today's spec.
Very happy so far.

Not everyone can afford an I9 and a 2080.

Ben

15 hours ago, MGC said:

Thanks for your comebacks. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Sadly, I won't have the A2A aircraft however I think most of the Carenado planes will work. I have plenty of disk space.

Thanks again,

Mike

My A2A aircraft works fine in P3D. B)

On 10/11/2019 at 8:37 PM, MGC said:

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, I found to my delight that most of the FSX planes will work in P3D4. Best thing to do is go to your account with the seller and download again so you get the latest version.Developers, including ORBX, have been incredibly generous in helping us move out of FSX into the newer systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived