LOWI im XP

Jack Sawyer

For some reason I have always compared any airport or scenery against LOWI, and also PAVD, Valdez Alaska.  So I was very pleasantly surprised to see the amazing craftsmanship in the XP version of LOWI.

There's only one thing I would hope for, Orbx could someday make AI traffic for X-Plane as the skies are so lonely :unsure:

jZom9me.jpg

uCtGOuw.jpg

mXXTFOo.jpg

wTrChbt.jpg

H3duJE8.jpg

vE5XuH7.jpg

cs9Mdn3.jpg

y9RZwK9.jpg

nOuPsSC.jpg

OL2vVxs.jpg

zkZyDQQ.jpg

T4iKHxJ.jpg

tMraheP.jpg

rw6M6zV.jpg

fnq4Tx7.jpg

3 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

I'm glad for you - there are 960 posts in the Central Support Forum so not eveyone was so lucky.

I was just reading those OND, I wish I knew why it works for me and not others.  I'm sure they'll get it worked out soon.

Just now, Ken Hall said:

Nice one Jack, at first I thought the chopper was out of focus but then realised it was the heat effect. Traffic report shows zero cars. Certainly is an awesome place to fly.

Thanks Ken!  Yes, I thought it odd that there were no cars as XP always has road traffic moving around (which sometimes I love to watch).

Just now, BradB said:

I went thru the web site ( Orbx Direct ) for my purchase , no issues at all . Fab shots Mr Sawyer BTW !! . 

Cheers

John

Thanks John, it took about 20 minutes to download and install, it looks very nice.

1 minute ago, BobT said:

Great shots super! I noticed there was less cars too...

Thanks Bob, I was just there maybe a minute ago testing because I had a CTD when I first went there but after two more flights it must have been a one-off.  I did see cars on the roads below the overhead roads so it’s cool.

1 minute ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots indeed Jack. That up side down ceiling fan of yours sure throws out a lotta heat.:lol::lol:LOWI sure rocks in both p3d and xp. Well done Team.:)

Thanks Karl, they do in real life too as they’re jet engines.  The one I flew last summer was a gas powered R22 so it wasn’t anything like this beautiful machine.  For some reason, in both sims, I love using choppers to explore new areas.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

There's only one thing I would hope for, Orbx could someday make AI traffic for X-Plane as the skies are so lonely :unsure:

Amazing shots Jack!

Check out X Life by Jar Design for AI in the skies.  You just download and install the program, and a separate aircraft package and you will see AI in the skies in no time.  It's freeware too!

https://jardesign.org/x-life/www/

Cheers,

1 minute ago, Scott Harmes said:

Amazing shots Jack!

Check out X Life by Jar Design for AI in the skies.  You just download and install the program, and a separate aircraft package and you will see AI in the skies in no time.  It's freeware too!

https://jardesign.org/x-life/www/

Cheers,

Thanks Scott!  I tried two others, I forget the names, one was very difficult to install and the other didn’t work.  This has its own installer?  If so that’s what I need, something simple.

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Scott!  I tried two others, I forget the names, one was very difficult to install and the other didn’t work.  This has its own installer?  If so that’s what I need, something simple.

I think it is actually just a matter of extracting files in to your XP directory, rather than an installer, but it is very easy.  Just go to the link below and download the four files from the four links in the first post.  There is the actual X-Life program, and then three sets of AI Aircraft from Bluebell which X-Life makes use of.

http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=11947#p11947

Cheers,

Great shots, Jack! I needed to install it manually, and it took time to find out how to do it.... because for me the new ORBX Central did not work. My first impressions on the scenery are quite good, tough as you and others mentioned, the lack of cars flow (summed to the lack of AI traffic, which is not a scenery issue) makes me feel like I am flying over a ghost town.... :( 

4 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

I think it is actually just a matter of extracting files in to your XP directory, rather than an installer, but it is very easy.  Just go to the link below and download the four files from the four links in the first post.  There is the actual X-Life program, and then three sets of AI Aircraft from Bluebell which X-Life makes use of.

Cheers,

Thanks Scott, I looked at a very old YT last night, briefly, it may not be relevant today as this was the original version and XP 10.  I wonder why the XP community can't simply use installers like the rest of the world does, this is what bugs me about XP.

3 hours ago, Dario said:

Great shots, Jack! I needed to install it manually, and it took time to find out how to do it.... because for me the new ORBX Central did not work. My first impressions on the scenery are quite good, tough as you and others mentioned, the lack of cars flow (summed to the lack of AI traffic, which is not a scenery issue) makes me feel like I am flying over a ghost town.... :( 

Thanks Dario, I wish I knew why so many people are having problems with the new Central, I don't understand it because it works flawlessly for me.

Yeah, I use XP only for the "eye candy" and P3D when I want to fly "real" flights.  I still can't take XP seriously, if they had PMDG & A2A on board it would help, if they had ChasePlane on board I'd probably never go back to P3D.  And without the simplicity of Ultimate Traffic in XP I'm like you it does seem like a ghost town.  I'll keep other opinions to myself though.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:51 AM, Scott Harmes said:

Cheers,

Hi Scott, I tried all this and found it so extremely difficult I gave up.  I read the PDF manual and you have to create a flight plan every time you want to use it?  I don't understand why.  I was hoping it would be like P3D Ultimate Traffic where you install it then have traffic, I'm not looking for 100% accuracy, even 1% would be ok, just wanted some traffic.  I guess I'm too dumb to understand this XP traffic add-on.

Do you think Orbx will ever come up with their own AI traffic like they have for P3D?  That would be good enough for me.

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Scott, I tried all this and found it so extremely difficult I gave up.  I read the PDF manual and you have to create a flight plan every time you want to use it?  I don't understand why.  I was hoping it would be like P3D Ultimate Traffic where you install it then have traffic, I'm not looking for 100% accuracy, even 1% would be ok, just wanted some traffic.  I guess I'm too dumb to understand this XP traffic add-on.

Do you think Orbx will ever come up with their own AI traffic like they have for P3D?  That would be good enough for me.

Hi Jack,

No need to create a flight plan.  You just turn X Life on and off via the plugins menu in XP11.

To install, it's just a matter of extracting the folders and putting the folders in the right spot, then the program will be ready next time you start XP11.

Just download the four files I linked above, then extract the contents.                             http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=11947#p11947

Move "Pack A" from "BBXL-2" folder to "Bluebell XL" in "BBXL-1" folder.

Move "Pack B" from "BBXL-3" folder to "Bluebell XL" in "BBXL-1" folder.

Place the folder "Bluebell XL" in "X-Plane 11\Custom Data"

Place the folder "X-Life" in "X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins"

Now you can select X-Life from the plugins menu in the sim, and turn it on or off and adjust the settings.

XP11 has it's own built in AI traffic too.  You can choose which aircraft you want to act as AI aircraft in the menu.

bXgf6x5.jpg

i6mNSwR.jpg

Cheers,

6 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Hi Jack,

No need to create a flight plan.  You just turn X Life on and off via the plugins menu in XP11.

To install, it's just a matter of extracting the folders and putting the folders in the right spot, then the program will be ready next time you start XP11.

Just download the four files I linked above, then extract the contents.                             http://jardesign.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=11947#p11947

Move "Pack A" from "BBXL-2" folder to "Bluebell XL" in "BBXL-1" folder.

Move "Pack B" from "BBXL-3" folder to "Bluebell XL" in "BBXL-1" folder.

Place the folder "Bluebell XL" in "X-Plane 11\Custom Data"

Place the folder "X-Life" in "X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins"

Now you can select X-Life from the plugins menu in the sim, and turn it on or off and adjust the settings.

XP11 has it's own built in AI traffic too.  You can choose which aircraft you want to act as AI aircraft in the menu.

bXgf6x5.jpg

i6mNSwR.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks Scott!  I’ll try again as I was put off by what I read in the PDF.

8 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Hi Jack,

Hi Scott, well I got it to work.  And it works really well.  But there's one huge problem for me.

Neither the default Laminar G1000 or the GTN 750 I bought will show traffic.  In P3D this works perfectly, I have no idea why I'm not seeing traffic in my GPS units as I use this a lot in P3D.  So I'll have to post at Laminar maybe?

@Scott Harmes

Hi Scott, this is brilliant!

I have all the sliders maxed out and still getting 30+ at KSEA and the traffic is very nice and well detailed, it looks even better than the one I use in P3D.  And, I got the GTN 750 to see the traffic too!

Now, to make this perfect all I’d need is PMDG and A2A but I doubt that will happen but I can dream can’t I?

I’m very much appreciative of you helping me and I’m glad I stuck with it because I’m no longer flying in a deserted world.  :) 

41 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

@Scott Harmes

Hi Scott, this is brilliant!

I have all the sliders maxed out and still getting 30+ at KSEA and the traffic is very nice and well detailed, it looks even better than the one I use in P3D.  And, I got the GTN 750 to see the traffic too!

Now, to make this perfect all I’d need is PMDG and A2A but I doubt that will happen but I can dream can’t I?

I’m very much appreciative of you helping me and I’m glad I stuck with it because I’m no longer flying in a deserted world.  :) 

Awesome Jack,

Great to hear you got it working.  I am pretty happy with X-Life too.  Especially for freeware, it does an amazing job.  It's not perfect.  I did see some A320s from Moldova and Lithuania the other day at KBVS Skagit :lol:.  I don't mind that though.  Even in reality you see some strange aircraft in strange places.

1 minute ago, Scott Harmes said:

Awesome Jack,

Great to hear you got it working.  I am pretty happy with X-Life too.  Especially for freeware, it does an amazing job.  It's not perfect.  I did see some A320s from Moldova and Lithuania the other day at KBVS Skagit :lol:.  I don't mind that though.  Even in reality you see some strange aircraft in strange places.

Thanks Scott, that's one thing I don't mind as I'm not a purest, a "rivet counter" as it were.  I just wanted to be less lonely and now I have a much greater desire to fly around in XP! :)

14 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Awesome Jack,

Well Scott, I have discovered something unsettling.  Apparently there’s not too many airports globally that show traffic.  When I go to settings I can bring up a google page that shows in Russian of all things, the ONLY airports where this app generates traffic.  Only large jest, no small planes.  Quite a huge disappointment as I was wondering why the smaller airports had no traffic.

I realize this is freeware but it’s really useless to me now.  Dang it, why is there so much lousy freeware but hardly ANY good payware stuff like in P3D?

All I can say now is argh.

Archived