Where the heart Is...

Mark Abdey

Home... Devon for me, although we are very close to the Somerset border, so a lot of the places we spend time are there too.

Not long after take-off from Dunkeswell, heading north over Culmstock Beacon.

xiU5bJ9.jpg

Over my house, which is bottom left... Nice to see Orbx has given my studio a nice new blue roof... it could do with it :D

yHS9wKB.jpg

Haddon Hill a few mins from home on Exmoor... a high spot and favorite place for us to go and blow away the cobwebs.

6gEAUmo.jpg

Leaving Haddon to head deeper into Exmoor.

4txOzUN.jpg

Over Dunkery Hill, which is the highest point on the moor at just over 1700 feet. Minehead town can be seen to the top

itJ9jay.jpg

The distinctive patchwork quilt of Devon & Somerset's fields.

9N43KFu.jpg

Porlock and the Bristol Channel, with Wales just visible through the haze.... And a staggering amount of trees on display in the deep coombes.

nvdrRBY.jpg

Heading towards Lynton & Lynmouth... Lynmouth suffered a devastating flood on 16 August 1952 when a huge storm overwhelmed the River, killing 34 people.

GBq6Qhn.jpg

A quick flick back around to see the spectacular Forland Point. The drive between Porlock & Lynmouth is stunning!.

rVeyD3E.jpg

Heading back south over the bleached moorland.

BEQfKaz.jpg

BBtkAhF.jpg

All pics taken with True Earth: South in XP11.33 B1... also using XVision 1.2.1 with my own preset.

Thank you for looking.

6 minutes ago, Mark Halliwell said:

Ok, these are undoubtedly the best screenshots I’ve seen. Stunning.

(I suppose I ought to admit that I am somewhat biased, as, like Mark A, I live in this beautiful area and know all these places Mark has mentioned...   :rolleyes:  )

Thank you Mark :)

We are blessed, are we not? :D

These are incredible Mark but I have to admit, I'm green with envy.  I'm glad some people can fly over their homes and see so much recognizable detail.  I would write Orbx a serious check for big $ if they could do my home right this very minute.

4 hours ago, Traveller said:

Another great set of shots Mark^_^
These colors are amazing! How do you get them, mate?

Thanks Traveller... Find the XVision preset at the bottom of this post.... so, a combination of that and Orbx superb colouration in their scenery.

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

absolutely fantastic shots, they look amazing....spent a fair bit of time in that area myself as I am just up the M5......a pleasure to view them...

Thanks Wain... nice that there is a few westcountry folk in the forum :)

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

These are incredible Mark but I have to admit, I'm green with envy.  I'm glad some people can fly over their homes and see so much recognizable detail.  I would write Orbx a serious check for big $ if they could do my home right this very minute.

As green as the fields of Devon Jack? :lol:  It's what I always wanted from a sim; to be able to recognise places I know with ease.  I hope you get your wish one day Jack...

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Stunning shots these Mark, Don't suppose you would share your xvision preset.

cheers

Iain

Of course Iain... I did post it a little while back, and have added it again to the botto of this one, along with the lua file I've been using in conjunction.

28 minutes ago, John Mac said:

Ah here, this is too good!!

John.

:) pleased you like them John.

Preset & lua...

Mark Abdey XPXV1.1.xvsshadows.lua

Really Super shots, we had a drive through a great place on the coast called... ‘Beer’ ( just had to do it!) on the way from Sidmouth to Chichester the other week...wonderful history and of course The Jurassic Coast & beyond to explore...:)

9D57BFC1-52D8-4795-9B5C-DB3D6AFC48BE.thumb.jpeg.38ea6ca46e54e0c1b02fd8b41d87409f.jpeg

And a Sidmouth Super Bright Moonlit evening...

F6643B45-3903-40AC-B0A7-6D05EDA1E3B7.thumb.jpeg.d9f246ce9bf49b776ce5d2d15f868ede.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Really Super shots, we had a drive through a great place on the coast called... ‘Beer’

Thanks... Beer is a lovely little place - and you clearly had one or two before taking that shot in Sidmouth (although I suspect Rum is more your poison capt) :lol:

Sidmouth is well worth going to when they have the folk festival on... it's a great atmosphere, with lots of stuff going all throughout the town.

1 minute ago, Mark Abdey said:

Thanks... Beer is a lovely little place - and you clearly had one or two before taking that shot in Sidmouth (although I suspect Rum is more your poison capt) :lol:

Sidmouth is well worth going to when they have the folk festival on... it's a great atmosphere, with lots of stuff going all throughout the town.

Do they still have an airshow at Sidmouth?

Being a lifetime fan of O'Brien, Forrester and Reeman/Kent, creators of intrepid Naval Post Captains venturing in harm's way, Devon has always had great fascination for me.  Exmoor and Dartmoor too - bring on the scary stories.  You preset guys are exceeding requirements.

Excellent set Mark.

I am also a Devonian but from the western side of the county; Plymouth.  As a youngster, most weekends were spent on Dartmoor.

A quick question if I may.  How do you offset the aircraft in the shots?  I haven't been able to do that.

21 hours ago, FILOU said:

Splendid Mark!

Thank you very much FILOU...

16 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Being a lifetime fan of O'Brien, Forrester and Reeman/Kent, creators of intrepid Naval Post Captains venturing in harm's way, Devon has always had great fascination for me.  Exmoor and Dartmoor too - bring on the scary stories.  You preset guys are exceeding requirements.

How about the 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor? (Google it):lol:  and of course there is the Exmoor Beast.  It wasn't on Exmoor, but coming home from a meal one night on the road from Wellington towards the M5 and Tiverton, we saw a large black animal on the verge... we are fairly positive it was a large cat of some sort, and certainly not of the domestic variety.

15 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Excellent set Mark.

I am also a Devonian but from the western side of the county; Plymouth.  As a youngster, most weekends were spent on Dartmoor.

A quick question if I may.  How do you offset the aircraft in the shots?  I haven't been able to do that.

Hey Lauriebe... Dartmoor is a wonderful place to explore as a kid, with the Tors to climb and the rivers and streams to muck about in. We often go up with our two, and Exmoor as well, which lacks the Tors, but has stunning wooded valleys and a rather amazing coastline.

As for the camera off-set... select 'Trail' view (Shift 6) which will put you behind the AC... you can then use the arrow keys and the <> keys to position the view, and hold the right mouse button to move the camera position.

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Sensational shots Mark! :)

Thanks Adam :)

12 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Thank you Mark for the your settings.

cheers

Iain

My pleasure Iain :)

10 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Another fine set, very picturesque part of the world

Thank you Ken... it is indeed.

5 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Wow Mark looking fantastic and i just love the colours well done my friend regards EMM

Thanks very much EMM... delighted you like the shots.

7 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Hey Lauriebe... Dartmoor is a wonderful place to explore as a kid, with the Tors to climb and the rivers and streams to muck about in. We often go up with our two, and Exmoor as well, which lacks the Tors, but has stunning wooded valleys and a rather amazing coastline.

As for the camera off-set... select 'Trail' view (Shift 6) which will put you behind the AC... you can then use the arrow keys and the <> keys to position the view, and hold the right mouse button to move the camera position.

Many thanks for the info Mark.

I'll give the 'Trail' view a go.

10 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Thank you very much FILOU...

How about the 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor? (Google it):lol:  and of course there is the Exmoor Beast.  It wasn't on Exmoor, but coming home from a meal one night on the road from Wellington towards the M5 and Tiverton, we saw a large black animal on the verge... we are fairly positive it was a large cat of some sort, and certainly not of the domestic variety.

Thanks Adam :)

My pleasure Iain :)

Thank you Ken... it is indeed.

Thanks very much EMM... delighted you like the shots.

2 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Many thanks for the info Mark.

I'll give the 'Trail' view a go.

Hi Laurie

I'm still not home yet, but hopefully will be back in about a week or so. I enjoy reading all the posts, but it is quite difficult to respond, so this is from my cell phone.

This is a really excellent tip from Mark.  Another feature that may be useful to you is how to set up camera views in XPlane using the built in camera system. It is very easy to bind a particular camera view to the numerical keypad ( just press crtl and a number on the key pad) . Now when you press that number on the keypad you will be instantly taken to that camera view.

Using Marks example after you have positioned the "Trail View" to your liking, you can just press crtl and 1 , say for example. Now whenever you press the number  one on your numeric keypad you will instantly be taken to that camera view.

I have posted a top in the Tips & Techniques section which gives a very easy to follow video on this and more things you can do with the built in camera system

Cheers

Renault

Archived