Beware of things that go bump in the night!

VH-KDK

Next in my tour of NW Queensland strips I will be taking a late evening flight from Camooweal to ROcklands.

Previously

1.ApDy8Hb.jpg

Departing Camooweal at dusk and you may have guessed that by using the paramotor it is only a short trip.

2.PSOyY9D.jpg

It is just under 4 miles and being a pleasant night we were hoping to sleep under the stars in the outback.

3.uFJw6fx.jpg

Lake Francie and Lake Canellan can be seen as we leave Camooweal.

4.3dwTgCT.jpg

Miles of sand and spinifex bush looking to the east.

5.IYlVLhl.jpg

However just ahead is Rocklands which looks like a pleasant place to spend the night.

6.gSpCxCj.jpg

However the farmer here tells us that there are many unpleasant creatures living around the farm like the Western Queensland Taipan, the worlds most poisonous.

oxyuranus-microlepidotus-2.jpg.9d3b6134c3ef815638f37471130555d0.jpg

7.tMbm2NQ.jpg

A good idea to stay away from the trees as a branch can fall off in the dead of night, maybe snapped by the elusive Desert Drop Bear.

1862608353_dropbear.png.d829bf05e6f5e992d4d452d175c43c60.png

8.rELZBOc.jpg

The trees are also home to the nasty Huntsman spider! On the ground are the Giant Queensland or Rhinoceros Cockroach.

huntsman.png.e29072c4c04345a2e2c2faaf428bec7b.pngroach.png.0c995fc145f41ff3562fc0ac179ee8ff.png

9.fisnrr9.jpg

Just to make us wish we had never come is a very large species of Clown Fish! Now I wish I had stayed in the city.

1115115948_amindemood.jpg.7c4000151885ff3cc2934af0d4d8478e.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the trip to this wonderful desert oasis.

Stay tuned to see if we made it through the night.

Not sure I'd spend a night out there...  Nice pics though.  :-)

Nothing scary about Huntsmans... catching them to put them out is a challenge!  They're quick.

Is the drop bear any relation to the Jagular?  "What to Jagulars do?" asked Piglet, hoping that they wouldn't.

17 minutes ago, Mickel said:

Not sure I'd spend a night out there...  Nice pics though.  :-)

Nothing scary about Huntsmans... catching them to put them out is a challenge!  They're quick.

Is the drop bear any relation to the Jagular?  "What to Jagulars do?" asked Piglet, hoping that they wouldn't.

Thanks Mickel.

Nothing scary about Huntsmen?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Pig's bum! They grow them big and mean up north.

The more it snows, tiddely pom,...…...

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots Martyn and I always ask myself, how in the heck do humans even survive there?  It seems like everything's poisonous.  Do a lot of people get killed by poisonous creatures there?  I read even the ants are toxic.

Bull Ants Jack! 90 species of them that can grow up to 40mm.:o

There have been a few fatalities from them. It is like having a red hot needle in you, they do smart.

One place we lived in the bush, we used to collect wild sown asparagus along the water channel. Naturally the best patch was in the middle of a Bull Ants nest.

It was great fun doing a hit and run raid to get a dozen spears of tasty asparagus.:lol:

14 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit!!!!!:)  Nice shots and thanks for all of the comments.

Cheers John, life is good down here.

Just make sure you have a good hammer and don't leave home without one!:lol:

11 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Grand post Martyn, you make it sound so inviting down under, I’m with Paul, remind me not to visit!  Hope the Tourism Council doesn’t get wind of your advert!  :lol:

When seeing a giant Huntsman, wind is the least of your troubles.:o:-:lol:

10 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn. I like that spider and that Teddy Bear. The snakes I've been told taste like chicken. The only thing I find frightening is that thing you're flying ain't got a beer holder:angry::lol::D

Thanks Karl, the teddy is cute isn't he. I have eaten snake in Thailand and it is like chicken but too many bones. 

I did have a beer holder but the Huntsman spider ran off with both it and the beer.:o

They are like that.:(

Hey Martyn, somehow my eye skipped over this post earlier. Boy, am I glad I reviewed the scroll. This is fascinating stuff. I really enjoy your shots and narrative. You are highlighting a place that is unimaginably uninviting to an outsider but completely comfortable to one born and raised there. In such territory, one learns the rules and within those limits inhabits a world of small marvels and large memories. Keep it up! Thanks!

Archived