Between Boston and Atlanta

Jack Sawyer

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Fred, I agree, it seems like such a waste to see this plane finally stop flying.

I always step in the garden to watch a 747 flying over approaching EHAM.

You can recognize one by the sound of the engines.

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I always step in the garden to watch a 747 flying over approaching EHAM.

You can recognize one by the sound of the engines.

I know what you mean, when I'm hiking I don't even have to look up to know what plane it is.  But a 747, you always know what that is, that deep bass rumble is unmistakable power.

31 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Great shots Jack!

Where did you get the -8? is it out already? I read it was about to

It didn't show in my Operations Center earlier or as to be enabled.

Hi Carlos and thanks.  You have to buy it as an add-on to the -400.  Very detailed instructions on their website, PMDG I mean, but if you need any help lemme know.

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Holy mackerel those are some fantastic images Jack, great job! :)  Only ever flew once on a 747 from Chicago to Hawaii. The plane that impressed me the most was a 707 to Atlanta no less. :D

Thanks Adam.  I was fortunate to have flown on may 747's to and from London to the states.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Glorious series Jack, the weather got better when you headed south.;)

That is one beautiful plane and I hope the series 8 will be around for a few years yet not that I ever see them!:(

Thanks Martyn, I ran into some cool thunderstorms along the way.  I'm not sure if anyone flys -8's into Atlanta, I'd have to research it.

13 minutes ago, Ray Farrugia said:

Beautiful set Jack.

Hats off to you guys that can fly that heavy (really heavy) iron.:huh:

cheers

Thanks Ray!  It's not that hard.  You only read need ZFW, amount of gas, and a few other things and the FMC is done.  You can have the FMC import a route or do it by hand or even fly to your destination like other planes with autopilot using HDG Hold and ALT Hold.  It's cool but there's tradeoffs too.  For example at 40K+ feet you don't see many detail until landing.  

8 minutes ago, Ray Farrugia said:

Its the landing Jack - its always the landing:banghead:

cheers

:lol: You’re right Ray, that made me laugh because it’s so true.

With proper airspeed and the plane configured for landing it’s all a matter of vertical speed.  But in these big jets with automation it’s all about the sequence of steps for an autoland.  Having spent my life working real planes and these systems it comes easy.  But anyone can do it.

There’s nothing more satisfying than watching a plane either in the sim or a jump seat do a full CAT III autoland.  It’s amazing.

If I can do it anyone can. ;) 

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn, I ran into some cool thunderstorms along the way.  I'm not sure if anyone flys -8's into Atlanta, I'd have to research it.

They do now Jack and I am sure there was a big turn out to see you arrive.;)

Archived