Favourite aircraft

You know, despite all the modern complicated up to date stuff you can get to fly nowadays, I still find myself more often than not flying the Real Air Duke.  It has a fair turn of speed, is quite stable in bad weather and very controllable.  Its good looking too!

'Bit like my wife now I come to think of it.:smile:

John

4 hours ago, JohnY said:

You know, despite all the modern complicated up to date stuff you can get to fly nowadays, I still find myself more often than not flying the Real Air Duke.  It has a fair turn of speed, is quite stable in bad weather and very controllable.  Its good looking too!

'Bit like my wife now I come to think of it.:smile:

John

Yes. I know what you mean, John. For me, it's the original Aces King Air. I love that plane, despite its being totally out-of-date. As for the wife thing. I'll agree with you on that one, too.  :smile:

What the hell are you saying about your wives, terrible but my favourite aircraft has been for a long time the Gloster Gladiator as it was sort of still old but new for its time with the covered cockpit. Anybody know of one that would work in P3Dv4 or Xplane. Derek.

Come on Gent's. For me it's the trusty wonderful DC 3 C47. Best plane ever build for Alaska or any place in the world for bush flying. Low and slow at a comfortable 150 knots. Wonderful smell of oil and glycol and an ear splitting sound. Watching the flames shoot outta them huge exhaust pipes at start up isn't comparable to anything else. It can't get any better. All you need is a good AAA road atlas and no "fancy" FMC or wifi:rolleyes:. Just follow the roads.:D Simming is time well wasted.B) Oh boy John speaking of my wife er.....:unsure: no I won't go there she's watching.:lol::D

8 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Come on Gent's. For me it's the trusty wonderful DC 3 C47. Best plane ever build for Alaska or any place in the world for bush flying. Low and slow at a comfortable 150 knots. Wonderful smell of oil and glycol and an ear splitting sound. Watching the flames shoot outta them huge exhaust pipes at start up isn't comparable to anything else. It can't get any better. All you need is a good AAA road atlas and no "fancy" FMC or wifi:rolleyes:. Just follow the roads.:D Simming is time well wasted.B) Oh boy John speaking of my wife er.....:unsure: no I won't go there she's watching.:lol::D

Hi Flyingleaf,

You opened the door for me to make a cheap, shameless plug for our VA www.dc3airways.net.

Take a look. I hope you like what you see and come join us for everything you love about the DC3 and more....btw, do you have the Jan Visser version from sim-outhouse? It is payware quality masking as freeware.

Sherm

DCA662

I like the Mooney 'Bravo".. The default FSX version is fine, but I use the Perfect Flight version; the sound and ground handling is marginally better, or at least so it seems.  I'm sure there is room for improvement in this A/C, wish one of the top payware developers would do a version of it.  Meanwhile, I love flying this bird.  It is fast, and can easily climb over the Rockies and Sierras when making my periodic jaunts to the west coast.  And Tom Tsui did a wonderful set of instruments for the Saitek/Logitech FIPs.

Ken

While I fly the DC3 more than others on my hanger, I am drawn to the A2A Cessna 182. I had it for FSX, but it does not port to P3D. I will buy the P3D next time it is on sale. I have about 20 hours training in the 152 , but no ticket. The A2A comes closest to real feel than anything else I have experienced in sim flight.

sherm

Over the last couple of years I find myself operating a highly modified Carenado PA31 Navajo and a de-turboed version of the Alabeo PA23 Aztec - both have excellent STOL characteristics and handy speeds when modified for real specs and weight and balance.

6 hours ago, shermank said:

While I fly the DC3 more than others on my hanger, I am drawn to the A2A Cessna 182. I had it for FSX, but it does not port to P3D. I will buy the P3D next time it is on sale. I have about 20 hours training in the 152 , but no ticket. The A2A comes closest to real feel than anything else I have experienced in sim flight.

sherm

Thinking about what I wrote a little earlier today, I  realized it is short sighted to wait for a sale. So, I went over to A2A and bought the P3D version of the Cessna 182. If you see me, feel free to wave as I fly by.....:-)

I have many aircraft that have successfully ported over to P3D V4. In FSX I owned almost the complete line of A2A aircraft. So far I only have the Spitfire and Connie for P3D V4 as they were free upgrades. I refuse to repurchase any A2A aircraft just for the sake of having them in P3D V4.

WBS Mustangs ported over very nicely as did the majority of Lion Heart Creations aircraft. The only one that did not port over was the L-24 Lear Jet. And that was upgraded with a free upgrade to previous purchasers. Just Flight and Carenado also offered free upgrades to previous purchasers. Milviz made a modest $5 charge for their upgrade of the Beaver.

So I now have a nice hangar full of aircraft without A2A.

Now that I'm in the brave new world of X plane, all my FSX models are gathering dust.  Carenado has ported almost all their catalog so I have some of my earlier friends - better flyers in xplane.  We have the famous Manfred C47/DC3  along with several other brilliant bits of freeware.  Now that Orbx is enhancing the bandwagon, the scenery situation looks very upbeat.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:41 AM, shermank said:

Hi Flyingleaf,

You opened the door for me to make a cheap, shameless plug for our VA www.dc3airways.net.

Take a look. I hope you like what you see and come join us for everything you love about the DC3 and more....btw, do you have the Jan Visser version from sim-outhouse? It is payware quality masking as freeware.

Sherm

DCA662

Yep I opened the door and I'm glad I did Y'all come on in. Yes I do have Manfred and Jans C47 latest. It is simply one of the best and I cannot thank these gents enough for what they've done. Sherm I will gladly check dc3 airways thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shermank

I would fly the Cessna 182 more if only I could find a way to see the runway and the instrument panel at the same time!!  Who's version of it do you have please?

John

2 hours ago, JohnY said:

Hi Shermank

I would fly the Cessna 182 more if only I could find a way to see the runway and the instrument panel at the same time!!  Who's version of it do you have please?

John

Hi John,

May I recommend Chaseplane - it's one of the slickest pieces of kit I've ever seen in FS - and I've been doing this for a while... It's very intuitive and is super simple to setup... I usually have around 6 or 8 different views per plane setup and map them to my joystick buttons... You can have different views setup for different aspects of flight - moving your perspective anywhere in the VC... Can't see the runway and instruments ? Create a view that bumps your seat up and back a few notches... Can't see the GPS well ? Create a view with a close zoomed in view to operate it... It's an essential addon in my flight bag - I can't fly without it...

Hi Folks,

Given hours flown - the Flysimware Lear 35A has to be my favorite (even though I'm a prop guy at heart) it's a challenge to fly well as things happen fast - very fast (6000 FPM climbs)... It's small enough to get into most of my ORBX stuff and quite capable of logging some real miles fairly quickly... The systems all work realistically as the developer is downright pedantic with them... It can be equipped with the REX Wx Radar and/or F1/RXP GTN making it a very capable all weather aircraft... It's a true favorite in my hangar and if you can catch a sale it's routinely around $25.00 which is a complete steal...

My custom paint job @ Sedona:

2mxrk2g.jpg

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, JohnY said:

Hi Shermank

John

Hi John, I have the A2A version....as for a better view, you can lower the cockpit by using  either Control or Shift-Enter...to be honest, I am not booted at the moment, but I think that is the correct sequence. I will repost later when I am in the cockpit and refresh myself on the various cockpit view controls out the front windscreen. btw, this procedure is also true for FSX.

Sherm

Hi John,

here is the complete procedure....Unfortunately, you may have to make adjustments each time you boot into whatever cockpit you are using

Lower cockpit  Shift-Enter

Raise cockpit  Shift-Backspace

Move forward in cockpit  Control-Backspace

Move back in cockpit  Control-Enter.

There is also a way to set the cockpit within aircraft.cfg, but I do not know those coordinates

Sherm

Archived