Atlantic bound

jotaedo

hi all guys, this will be a very large topic since its a large series of flight, perhaps some of you may remember the series of Exploring USA, this time I'm moving to the east since the distances now are quite large I decided to take the jets from my squad, this trip starts at Siletz Bay, that was I left the plane last time. so this is a sort of part from my flight series in this forum :)

so here they are: enjoy, most of the flights planned with sky vector, and none of them is an edited shot, fresh out of the screen

taking the 406 to Hobby, love the Aspen, quite close to the real one I use to use in the Arrow of my air club
EtP9Nb9.jpg
climb!
c9zXaMk.jpg
arriving Hobby
em9lgqs.jpg
something go out some other things come up to the plane
H8j5FiA.jpg
getting ready for dep, need to leave the plane at KRDD
zmiCfIA.jpg
pBUvfVA.jpg
ipE6be0.jpg
going into Tahoe, here on taxi
c4RsHuf.jpg
cruise
Ov446Wg.jpg
note he miss app path loaded on the Aspen
gimODMB.jpg
final!
UhfoRrX.jpg
parked and landed
CrZafxj.jpg
JETS!
r9uUZlr.jpg
taxi
CMUBhkh.jpg
entering the active
rayB8zo.jpg
rolling!
2vfxkTO.jpg
blasted of to KTEX
jMOag9x.jpg
im leaving on a jeeeeeeet planeeeeee
PqiyEqX.jpg
final
PsfEKgg.jpg
HHAosun.jpg
wing view
paKrhhz.jpg
ktex is by now one of my fav ORBX destinations (thanks 4th of July sale)
vGyrN6N.jpg
Chreyenne time!
ZXZ2kZM.jpg
someone know what are those bunker look like door?
hW1jzs5.jpg
climb, Eagle county bound
dvGQFCk.jpg
TRIVIA, why i had a differente GS lectures on GPS and DME?
vED79GP.jpg
final, good flight with full atc on vatsim KTEX-KEGE
1Wr9Ton.jpg
taxi via A to parking
ym2PyQX.jpg
face to face with the Dassault Falcon
iiX98nd.jpg
taking her to the Active Rwy
eGGyvZN.jpg
bye bye eagle!... cya soon!
zgqLYIf.jpg
up, up and away
pQQ1Nij.jpg
next destination? try to guess.
y4vWkub.jpg

more to come as time allows me to do both, compile the screenshots and complete the flights

fly safe and happy landings, looking forward to your thoughts and comments

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

That's a lot of flights and all very nice.  And why did you have the different DME?

THANKS! that because of the GPS and DME measure different things, allow me to explain.
GPS always gives you your actual GS, wherever the aircraft is flying, the device is able to do so since it takes date from the satellites, the same principle applies for distance measurements, keep in mind the distance measured by GPS is in a "straight" line. I say straight since at long range the earth isn't flat (right?) but for short distances earth is perfectly flat for measurements and if it is flat, the line will be straight.
on the other hand, the DME measures distance and also gives you Speed and time to the station., Distance measurement equipment (in Latin America some pílots call it Donde Mierda Estoy: literally translated it's something like where the F**k I'm I?)  how it does that? basically, its a pulses exchange between the aircraft and the station on the ground (if I remember properly my IFR lessons), to work properly the aircraft has to be aligned with the station, means flying directly inbound or outbound (TO/FROM anyone?) the stations, no matter what radial or course is since your pointed TO or FROM the station. once the plane is pointing it asks to the station "hey, how far are you?" to give an answer, the station and the DME needs and straight talk about it, if you are pointing anyplace else (except for reciprocal course) the answer would be something different, extreme case? 90° GS will read 0, practical exercise? fly and DME-ARC and check for the GS on the DME will read 0, you know you have good arching precision if 1) GS is 0 2) RMI needle pointing 90° at all times 3) DME reading of distance remains constant
that's why in the pic got different readings, check for actual heading of the plane 360 in the picture heading to the station is 055 and the selected course in the HSI is 035

to complement the explanation, the distance measured by the DME is slant distance, it's the "actual" distance from the plane to the station, try this small exercise, once you completed your arching exercise fly directly to any for at sea level at 6000 feet, once you are directly OVER the VOR/DME check the DME distance, will read 1.0 Nm and how much is 1.0 Nautical Miles is measured in Feet?.... 

On 7/13/2018 at 3:17 PM, Captain Lars said:

Awesome shots!

On 7/13/2018 at 3:11 PM, oldboy43 said:

Hi Jotaedo, thank you for very nice shots with very nice aeroplanes.

Cheers

Karoly

On 7/14/2018 at 1:45 AM, mikee said:

Beautiful Shots :)

On 7/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great post this.

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you all, glad you like this, and thanks also for staying here making this community so awesome :)

On 7/14/2018 at 2:56 PM, VH-KDK said:

Splendid series with some great airport scenery.

You also have some wonderful planes at hand in your hangar.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:21 PM, Wakashi said:

Lots of up's and down's in that series! :D  All of the shots were definitely up! :)

Tanks, I'm glad you enjoy the series, I'm really happy about the community understood this post as a continuum of flights across the USA I have enjoyed both, flying and writing in the sim, i also have learned a lot about planes and also about the USA, since I have never been there IRL

btw, new post.... more to come on the future, don't know when but, for sure more will come :) 

Fly Safe and happy landings

1 hour ago, Aussie123 said:

Small question? Isn't GPS a slant angle as well? From where you are in 3 dimensional space to a point on the ground at certain coordinates :huh:

How the calculation works exactly depends on the individual GPS device, however GPS definitely does NOT use a slant angle........ GPS devices calculate a distance between 2 points using the World Geodetic System, which provides a reference ellipsoid for the calculations, the current version of which is WGS84.

As an example, consider when flying to a destination in a plane, the GPS will read a distance of 0nm when 6000ft directly above that destination, whereas the DME will read 1nm, because of the slant angle calculation. 

For more details on the World Geodetic System, see: - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Top-of-the-line arrangement of pictures from your travels!

On 8/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, adambar said:

Fantastic flight and shots, well done! :)

more to come soon, glad you like it!

On 8/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, olderndirt said:

You get a lot of mileage from that 'V' key and all beautifully presented.  Especially enjoyed your DME /GPS comments - remind me of an old instrument instructor I know. 

mmmm good or bad memories? mean like this?

image.png.cac31f035e46d460d3a9eafae3a08440.png

Archived