Tongass Fjords for Prepar3D v4

David Keff

12 hours ago, David Keff said:

One more question...will the program with settings work as well as the scenery itself?

Hello David

Are you referring to the Tongass Control panel  ?  If so,  by using the link Smudger has posted the answer is No,    But the control panel is not required to use this Scenery. 

For the Control panel to launch and operate successfully it would need to see a specific key in the register editor,  this key is only Installed if you are Installing for FSX only.   You can certainly set it up to work no problem but this is a little more complex and would require the user to be comfortable editing the registry editor and moving config files around,  for most folks this method is not recommended.

As I said the scenery works no problem in Prepar3D by just using the link above.      

-------------

There is an Alternative way to Install Tongass on page 2 of Smudgers link as seen Here,   this involves editing the reg editor to Included the FSX key,  by doing this the control panel will work but it also Involves moving some config files around to complete the Install process.  If you read INDEX 5 you can also use a utility tool to create the FSX key,  After this you would then skip the first part of the video and follow the rest of it.  

Note:  This method is not recommended if you have FSX and Prepar3D currently Installed and working because it requires you to divert the FSX key to your Prepar3D Install location.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, another TF junkie here; I am so hooked that I will only move to a new version of FS after I have made sure that I can get TF to work in it (I pay a one month non-recurring developer licence fee of $10 to test it because, to quote from the LM website "anyone can be a developer"!)

I thought I would throw in my tuppence with regard to installing TF easily without a lot of editing etc.

The latest version of the migration tool does work for TF but you do have to fix one thing after it has run and BEFORE you install any other scenery - that is very important!

Start the migration tool and enable redirection into P3Dv4

Then run the TF for FSX installer.

After it has finished disable redirection and close down the migration tool.

The terrain.cfg file that the migration tool creates is in the main P3Dv4 folder (this is where it used to be in FSX). This file needs to be copied back into its proper location for P3Dv4 which is in ...Programdata\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

After you make a backup of the terrain.cfg file in the proper folder you can simply copy the terrain.cfg file created by the migration tool and paste it into the proper location. All the entries will be correctly numbered provided that you do not install any other scenery between when you install TF and copy the file.

You are now good to go!

It is only really a single cut and paste after installation and, given the situation, is as close as we can get to a one click install.

Irrespective of how you get it installed there is then the issue with the AI aircraft; this does require an initial bit of work, as per the instructions you can download from the RTMM site, but it is not that complicated and if the instructions are clear for a mug like me to do it then, believe me, anyone can do it!!

Then, what I did was, once I had done it the first time and made sure it was working I copied the adjusted AI files into a separate location and created the proper P3Dv4 file structure "above" them, i.e. I made a folder called simobjects and inside that a folder called aircraft and inside that the modified AI folders. For each AI aircraft I only included within their folders the actual files that had been modified and nothing else, so they are not full copies of those folders, they only contain the files that have been changed.

Now, when I reinstall (which I have just had to do), after I install TF as above all I do is copy my version of the simobjects folder into the main Prepar3D v4 folder and let it overwrite any existing files. Since my version only contains the AI files that need to be modified nothing else is touched.

So I basically reinstalled TF into P3Dv4 using the migration tool to run the original installer and then just two manual cut and pastes - not bad!

Been a while since I installed TF, but I seem to recall that with LM v4.2 I simply pointed the installer to my "addon scenery" folder, and no further adjustments were required.. Teecee.

Thanks for the input Stewart :), but my TF is working great..I know this because I have been using it since its inception many years ago.. I even have all my older addons that I created back then showing up.. so I am not going to mess it up by fiddling with it.  Teecee.

PS: I am running Prepar3d  V4.1, so this may well be different  to the latest version.

Not suggesting "fiddling" with it, Teecee.  If it works, don't fix it, I always say.  I'm running TF with P3Dv4.1 as well, with no problems; the installation process was a little involved, as I recall, but not difficult, if one is used to doing such things.  Elaine's instructions are very complete and specific.

Stew

On 4/18/2018 at 5:30 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

we don't have the distribution rights and nothing has changed in this regard since my previous posts here: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/141091-hole-in-the-orbx-product-line-up/?do=findComment&comment=1245508

Cheers, Holger

Really bad news. A partnership with Orbx where Tongass Fjords X are included in FTX Central - will likely boost sales and revenue for the copyright owners. Why not?

I want to buy - but with FTX Central I have become accustomed to Plug and Play. :wub:

18 hours ago, teecee said:

Thanks for the input Stewart :), but my TF is working great..I know this because I have been using it since its inception many years ago.. I even have all my older addons that I created back then showing up.. so I am not going to mess it up by fiddling with it.  Teecee.

PS: I am running Prepar3d  V4.1, so this may well be different  to the latest version.

There are known issues with the AI that are guaranteed to cause the sim to crash. However this only happens if you get close to certain AI models.

I believe there is a follow-up to Elaine's post (by another poster) that details the offending aircraft (I think there are 4) and offers a fix for them by converting them to FSX models and enabling their use in TF.  I have done this, as I recall, and there are no longer problems with those aircraft.

Hi, Nick.  Yes, I suppose they did.  It's entirely possible that's where I went to make the corrections.  It's been a few months...memory is a little hazy, because I had a system crash at the beginning of the year and I had to gradually rebuild everything.

I followed Elaine's excellent instructions to get Tongass working in V4.1 last night.  The  weird thing though is that I don't have the Turbine Trotter in my AI.  But oh well, I'm ecstatic to have this scenery working again.

Richard

• 10 months later...

The suggested install process is staggeringly complicated for non-PC pros, and while I am glad some have found it to work perfectly, I would not dare to try it myself.  So I have kept the FSX Steam version installed for bush flying in Alaska and environs with my new rig which sports overkill processor, memory, and nVidia 2080i.  Would prefer to migrate 100% into PREPAR3D. 

I have also already installed all my tons of ORBX scenery (so would have to delete and start over again according to "cwam" above?).

Sooo, I am one of those people who would gladly pay for a P3Dv4 version of Tongass Fjords (which could all the RTMM locations etc.)

Food for thought "Authors, Orbx, users, and Rights owners"??  Get together and do a deal???

P

• 5 months later...

Just curious, I'm in the midst of a full PC reinstall and I'm wondering if anybody has tried installing the full package via the addon.xml method.  Particularly the effects, sound and world/scenery and world/textures portions.  I know there are some packages where that won't work due to hard-coded paths, etc.

• 10 months later...
15 hours ago, shermank said:

Before I run it, am I correct this will do nothing for P3D installation, except perhaps some damage?

15 hours ago, shermank said:

Hello Sherm,

I have it running well in P3Dv5, look for Poppets excellent guide to install Tongass Fjords, on Avsim I think. :huh:

Installing Tongass Fjords X Prepar3D

Once installed it is positioned between Regions and OpenLC in the scenery library.

Tongass Fjords.jpg

Archived