Tree trimming with a Helicopter

Wakashi

If you are a helicopter pilot and want a fun job, you should try this!  When I worked for the State of Oklahoma and managed a State Park one of these crews came to my town to clear powerline rights of way, they used my front yard (since I lived on park property) as an LZ.  The pilot was an amazing guy and answerd all sorts of silly questions from me and my crew, he was an ex army pilot and had been doing this job for several years.  Check out the YT video link below for just a sample.  @Jack Sawyer take notes! :D

https://youtu.be/Pla06PO6Odk

Good job for the video otherwise I would have thought it was April 1st!

Fascinating to watch Roger.:)

3 minutes ago, BradB said:

Fascinating video Roger , talk about cutting edge technology . :):rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

I would say that 28 days of looking down would give you a very sore neck.:wacko:

8 hours ago, Wakashi said:

If you are a helicopter pilot and want a fun job, you should try this!  When I worked for the State of Oklahoma and managed a State Park one of these crews came to my town to clear powerline rights of way, they used my front yard (since I lived on park property) as an LZ.  The pilot was an amazing guy and answerd all sorts of silly questions from me and my crew, he was an ex army pilot and had been doing this job for several years.  Check out the YT video link below for just a sample.  @Jack Sawyer take notes! :D

https://youtu.be/Pla06PO6Odk

Thanks Roger, that's incredible.  Man what I wouldn't give to be able to do this in real life.  Maybe in another life perhaps.

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Fascinating video Roger , talk about cutting edge technology . :):rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Love it “cutting edge technology” :lol:  Thanks for looking John!

10 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

That is some impressive chopper flying.

Thanks Landon, I do know that the guy that came to the park was one heckuva pilot, can you imagine doing that 8-10 hrs a day! :blink:

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Good job for the video otherwise I would have thought it was April 1st!

Fascinating to watch Roger.:)

I would say that 28 days of looking down would give you a very sore neck.:wacko:

Thanks Martyn, yes, very fascinating in real life too, and the sore neck thing was probably the most asked question to the pilot, his response “you get used to it”!:rolleyes:  Need something real good for April 1. B)

2 hours ago, FlexFlier said:

You might enjoy this one also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjC7DjoVe8

Once at that address you will see many other videos of helicopters supporting power line maintenance.

Enjoy!

Amazing videos Michael, those guys must have nerves of steel or immense confidence!

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Roger, that's incredible.  Man what I wouldn't give to be able to do this in real life.  Maybe in another life perhaps.

Thought you might like that Jack, they were using Miviz MD’s choppers too! :PB)  I don’t think I could have enough lives to do that! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Thought you might like that Jack, they were using Miviz MD’s choppers too! :PB)  I don’t think I could have enough lives to do that

I saw that, and I’d give everything up in my life to be able to do that.

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to do this!  That's some serious flying, but I wonder why they're doing this, is it practice to fight forest fires?

Aerial ignition is generally used in prescribed (controlled burns) to burn out the dead under story particularly in remote areas.  Additionally it is used in fighting wildland fires by creating additional black (burned area) between an anchor point like a road or a dozer trail and the main fire itself to establish control lines.  Again, typically either in more remote areas where it's tough to get crews in to execute a firing operation, or when the firing operation is of very large size. 

2 minutes ago, medx421 said:

Aerial ignition is generally used in prescribed (controlled burns) to burn out the dead under story particularly in remote areas.  Additionally it is used in fighting wildland fires by creating additional black (burned area) between an anchor point like a road or a dozer trail and the main fire itself to establish control lines.  Again, typically either in more remote areas where it's tough to get crews in to execute a firing operation, or when the firing operation is of very large size. 

Thanks, that's very interesting!

On 3/15/2018 at 8:29 PM, medx421 said:

More heli fun

Actually ,

On the Firefighter X software you can attach a Terra torch to the bottom of your Milviz MD 530F and do exactly the same thing in P3D.  Jack , this is mainly for control burning or backfiring on Planned fireline on major fires for fuels reductionB)  And it's as fun as doing the bambi bucket drops on active fires!

• 2 years later...

Archived