A tribute to Oscar Niemeyer. Not.

Stillwater

In 1891 it was decided that the capital of Brazil (which was Rio de Janeiro since 1763, following Salvador de Bahia) should move to a place closer to the country's center. In 1893 the location was decided, laying of the cornerstone was done in 1922 (the 100th year of Brazils independance). In the following years, Brasília was planned and developed by Lúcio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer, and in 1957 their plan was chosen by an international jury to be the basis for building the city. This pilot plan was named "Plano Piloto". This name, and the symmetrical layout makes many people believe the city looks like a plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasília

Nevertheless, it stands in the same tradition as Canberra, being a city built from scratch and according to the then-actual-believes of what a city would need. And if you look at the pictures in the wiki-link, one would also believe it could need a CityScape - because the generic approach of open LC can not add this magnificent series of buildings, see below.

2018-3-10_16-45Brasilia.jpg
2018-3-10_16-46-23-566.jpg

Here you can see the central traffic axis ("monumental axis") from right to left, crossed by the curved "wings".
2018-3-10_16-47-29-271.jpg
2018-3-10_16-52-8-49.jpg

Little traffic here, but at least it is!
2018-3-10_16-56SBBR.jpg

So many great places on the ORB, there is enough work to do with Orbx current technology. I hope the market is also willing to support this...

Very interesting post Gerold with some great history in your introduction.

All of this takes time to do and think back 10 years ago with what we were flying over, the improvement today had been massive.

Some very interesting times ahead. in the world according to ORBX .:lol:

Thanks for commenting, @Iain Emms and @European Mountain Man Stewart!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Very interesting post Gerold with some great history in your introduction.

All of this takes time to do and think back 10 years ago with what we were flying over, the improvement today had been massive.

Some very interesting times ahead. in the world according to ORBX .:lol:

Thanks for proving my history lesson was not unrecepted, Martyn.

And you are right, compared to what we knew 10 years ago we really have "first simulator world" problems nowadays. :)

29 minutes ago, BradB said:

Hot diggity dog , I love these cityscape shots Gerold . :D:):lol:

3-11-18.png

Cheers

John

I knew Oscar Niemeyer had been a great architect. But I did not know he was also designing cars. Thanks to this forum, we never stop learning, John!

Thank you for the comment, @dolf8857!

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very interesting stuff Gerold!  I would have never known this, and yes, lrt's hope Orbx improves this area as well.  They'll be busy for a very long time. 

Thanks Jack - honestly Orbx has many interesting projects already anounced, so we´ll keep them busy anyway!

3 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Great post Gerold! Great historical facts and narration to go along with your screen shots.

Thank you, Landon, that was Sunday´s history lesson. I knew a bit of that, but flightsimming makes us go into more and more detail...

4 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice shots and narrative thanks

Thank you, Taph. Some learning for me as well...!

7 hours ago, Juanvito said:

Nice shots! I liked how OpenLC makes the main avenues look.

Si, Juanvito, FTX Vector does its job well. It is just the amount of POIs in Brasilia that needs manual amendments...

Archived