Staring old in the face

Can you remember the first time you had to stare Old in the face? My moment came when I was talking to a beautiful young woman. I had my stomach well sucked in and was, I thought, holding my own in the conversation. When the conversation came to a close, the beautiful young woman put her hand tenderly on my arm and said, "It's been nice talking to you, Sir. You remind me so much of my grandfather." My youth died its final death right there. 

Mine was about 10 years ago in my early 60's. I was, and still am, relatively fit and healthy, and  I caught a bus into the city one day. The bus was full with a few people standing. This didn't bother me as the trip was only a couple of kilometers and I am quite used to "strap hanging". A middle aged gentleman jumped up and offered me his seat. I was somewhat taken aback, as this had never happened before, but took the seat and thanked him. Then thought to myself 'good manners are one thing but do I really look that old'? 

The first time I made a reference to a movie star and heard "Who is that".

Dale

We have been blessed with two important attributes, 1 - we are on the right side of our faces, and 2 - we don't think about how old we are until somebody or our bodies remind us. :) 

I was parking the car in a supermarket car park and there was an idiot trying to park illegally on the narrow bit where pedestrians walked. So I hooted him and yelled out my window not to park there! He yelled back " Silly old sod". He was older than me by a few years - my hair went white early - a family trait. God I was annoyed. When he went into the shop I let all 4 tires / tyres down. Hah! That showed him.

4 minutes ago, macca22au said:

That's not age, but Yorkshire behaviour.

Actually it was in Hastings at Christmas so "Southern behaviour"!

I've only lived in Yorkshire for 6 years and have no intention of leaving here now. Such beautiful countryside and such friendly people. Any wonder they consider it "God's Own Country"!

Rode a classmate's Harley a bunch of times while in college, but never had an accident.  Wanted another bike later on, but spouse said I couldn't;t fly and have a motorcycle.  I chose flying. . 

I was doing OK until the day I bought a couple of bags of groceries at the supermarket and the 18 year old girl at the register asked me if she could call someone to help me carry the bags to the car. I knew right then and there that it was all over..........Doug

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Staring old in the face
  • 3 months later...

My realisation I was old came about on the golf course.  When I got to the 15th. I had nothing left and my partners 'phoned the pro' who kindly came out in a buggy, took me back to the clubhouse, sat me down and gave me a drink of...….. WATER!

I haven't played since but regularly visit twice a week and sit with the other old men who can't play and take the rise out of those who still can!

John

On 3/24/2018 at 7:24 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

A mild disagreement, Triplane--it's when you accept the offer to carry the groceries to the car that it's all over.

It depends on who volunteers to carry the bags. Somethings age never changes..........:D

Trolleys are the answer.  No-one offers to push your trolley for you,  It would be very suspicious if they did!

John

Here is a tip for Johnny and for the rest of us that have or are running out of steam.

When my wife died one of the things she left behind was her wheelchair.  It is a good chair and I had replaced the front wheels with wheels from a bariatric chair which are larger and travel over rough ground and gravel walkways much better than the originals.   We used to go camping and me being her wheelchair motor for 7 years I learned what did and did not work.

Back to the tip.

When the time came that using a walker became necessary for me I decided to use her chair instead,  which has the added benefit of giving me a place to sit and rest when the need arises.  It takes up less space in my car than my walker and I can place my cooler and camera bag in it.  All and all, a win-win.

Dale

I use a walker to get around the house. been using it since I started having falls 3 1/2 years ago. A Community Nurse got it from the hospital for me. Makes a good seat when preparing meals as I cannot stand for long. When I go shopping I use a wheelchair as I can cover more distance. I am now considering upgrading to a mobility scooter.

It comes to us all:  not gradually in some cases but in long periods of stable abilities, a threshold, and down to the next level.

I inherited a walker which I don't need to use as yet, but a walking stick in case of the woozies...and my loyal mobility scooter which my medical daughter totally decries but gives me some freedom.  She thinks walking more is altogether better.  I ask her whether collapsing in the street is OK, she says yes, I think she sees it as more heroic.  My kind wife otherwise drives me wherever needed.  But my scooter still takes me to do radio work at the local Coastguard base.

But I can still sit here and fly my 787 from Gatwick to Dallas with great scenery.  It is not perfect, that is the beauty of this hobby it is never quite right.  I shall tweak until I am incapable.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:19 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

I inherited a folding rolling walker from my father. It has brakes, a fold-down seat, and a small carry basket. I used it after hip surgery for a few weeks and found it very handy. It will be my go-to when the time comes.

I also have one of them but I discovered that it did not serve me well traveling over the dirt and gravel I have to walk on.  The wheels were too small. I also discovered that it took up more space in my car because it did not fold up as flat as the wheelchair.

Dale

Archived