Mitchell Plateau

VH-KDK

Another flight from an OZx strip.

This one is from YMIP Mitchell Plateau in NW Western Australia.

1.mp1.jpg

Not much here but it captures perfectly the typical outback airstrip.

2.mp2.jpg

Plenty of empty fuel drums which will eventually rust away.

3.mp3.jpg

I reckon these are termite mounds. What do you think?

4.mp4.jpg

A long and bumpy runway.

5.mp5.jpg

Those who have flown across Australia would have seen many strips like this in the desert.

6.mp6.jpg

The southern end of the inlet called Port Warrender.

7.mp7.jpg

Nothing and hundreds of miles of it.

8.mp8.jpg

Port Warrender is the bottom end of Admiralty Gulf.

9.mp9.jpg

That's it, nothing else to see.

Pretty interesting flight nonetheless Martyn. I mean, who doesn't like seeing termite mounds? :D I did like the look of the little dirt strip out in the Outback...that is exactly what comes to mind when I think of flying out there, away from civilization.

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Pretty interesting flight nonetheless Martyn. I mean, who doesn't like seeing termite mounds? :D I did like the look of the little dirt strip out in the Outback...that is exactly what comes to mind when I think of flying out there, away from civilization.

Thank you Landon.

I was having a flight from each of the 5 OZx packs as I installed them and choosing an airport at random to make sure the installation was good.

It is a very remote place and I wouldn't want to get stranded out there.:o

1 hour ago, BradB said:

It looks like AU has room for expansion , I would easily give up mounds of snow for mounds of termites . :huh::blink:;):D

Cheers

John

Thanks John. Plenty of very hot sunshine, I wonder how long before you would be longing for some waist deep snow!

The termite mounds were used for many of the airstrips built in WW2.

Cathedral-termite-mound-Litchfield-National-Park-NT-2.thumb.jpg.30ebfdd10924474e42f9afc4d667afd9.jpg

They can be 7 metres tall and weigh up to 10 tonnes.

8 minutes ago, paulb said:

Well done Martyn! :). Very lonely out there though. I hope that you gave your aircraft a thorough check over before you took off! ;)

Preflight easy Paul.

Wings. Wheels. Weeeeroff.:lol:

Great shots that show the outback as expected. I join Landon in saying #5 really looks as in real life.

I have not recognized the termite skyscrapers before in Flightsim, a great find of you (an obvious expert, as you show us with your selfie B))!

PS: Why don´t we have an emoticon with an Akubra here? It´s an Aussie provider!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks John. Plenty of very hot sunshine, I wonder how long before you would be longing for some waist deep snow!

The termite mounds were used for many of the airstrips built in WW2.

Cathedral-termite-mound-Litchfield-National-Park-NT-2.thumb.jpg.30ebfdd10924474e42f9afc4d667afd9.jpg

They can be 7 metres tall and weigh up to 10 tonnes.

100F + - Sounds good to me along with cobalt blue sky's , so what's a few bugs to worry about . :D:lol:

John

Very interesting Martyn!  I didn't know they used termite mounds during WWII runway construction, I love trivia like this.  And that sure looks desolate, are people allowed to live there, I mean where it's green or is it "government" land?

16 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Looks like you had a nice flight Martyn i enjoyed coming along for the ride i will pass on the termite mounds regards EMM

Thank you EEM, the Termite Mounds are quite harmless, unless they fall on you of course.:o

14 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots that show the outback as expected. I join Landon in saying #5 really looks as in real life.

I have not recognized the termite skyscrapers before in Flightsim, a great find of you (an obvious expert, as you show us with your selfie B))!

PS: Why don´t we have an emoticon with an Akubra here? It´s an Aussie provider!

Thank you Gerold, I could think of quite a few additional emoticons that would be suitable on the forum.

The termite mounds are an integral part of the landscape up the top end but I wouldn't like to be the one who has to hand place every single one!:lol:

13 hours ago, BradB said:

100F + - Sounds good to me along with cobalt blue sky's , so what's a few bugs to worry about . :D:lol:

John

A worrying lack of flies this year John indeed very few dragonflies or Cabbage White butterflies either. 

I was also reading about there being a world wide shortage of insects generally.

Like a 50s sci fi movie. Maybe the land whales ate them all.:o:ph34r::lol:

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very interesting Martyn!  I didn't know they used termite mounds during WWII runway construction, I love trivia like this.  And that sure looks desolate, are people allowed to live there, I mean where it's green or is it "government" land?

A lot of the land is Aboriginal land and you are supposed to get a permit before you enter. I am not sure about here though.

Well being so far from the main population centres I suppose they had to use any building material they could find.:)

9 hours ago, teecee said:

Magic old mate.. I have been flying OZ for more years than I care to remember and never found the termite mounds..Teecee.

Thank you TeeCee, the first ones I have seen too.

I miss so much on the ground as I usually want to get into the air asap.:rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you EEM, the Termite Mounds are quite harmless, unless they fall on you of course.:o

I could imagine they'd be extremely heavy.  I saw a YT once where they went to Africa and found an old unoccupied mound and bulldozed it down, poured in liquid metal, aluminum maybe, and they poured in a lot.  When it was cool they dug it up, it was an amazing thing to see, all these tunnels in shiny metal.

24 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A lot of the land is Aboriginal land and you are supposed to get a permit before you enter. I am not sure about here though.

Well being so far from the main population centres I suppose they had to use any building material they could find.:)

Amazing isn't it?  

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I could imagine they'd be extremely heavy.  I saw a YT once where they went to Africa and found an old unoccupied mound and bulldozed it down, poured in liquid metal, aluminum maybe, and they poured in a lot.  When it was cool they dug it up, it was an amazing thing to see, all these tunnels in shiny metal.

Those termites are industrial little critters and very smart the way they build the mounds.:)

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Those termites are industrial little critters and very smart the way they build the mounds.:)

They tore up my house, it costs several thousand to have it repaired, now I have a treatment plan, and I learned a lot about them, they're blind, never ever sleep, and eat wood 24/7/365.  We need them more than they need us because they turn cellulose into sugar.  And more trivial, they're the world's number one producer of methane and supposedly the heaviest total biomass on Earth.

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

They tore up my house, it costs several thousand to have it repaired, now I have a treatment plan, and I learned a lot about them, they're blind, never ever sleep, and eat wood 24/7/365.  We need them more than they need us because they turn cellulose into sugar.  And more trivial, they're the world's number one producer of methane and supposedly the heaviest total biomass on Earth.

One of the worst feelings is discovering termites in your house. :o:o:ph34r:

Some interesting facts you have found too.:D

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

One of the worst feelings is discovering termites in your house. :o:o:ph34r:

Some interesting facts you have found too.:D

Tell me about it.  I was horrified and disgusted when I saw all that damage.  Down here in Georgia they always say when not if.

23 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Tell me about it.  I was horrified and disgusted when I saw all that damage.  Down here in Georgia they always say when not if.

I never realised it was a problem in the US but only an Australian thing.:rolleyes:

I heard that one in three houses over here has them.:angry:

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I never realised it was a problem in the US but only an Australian thing.:rolleyes:

I heard that one in three houses over here has them.:angry:

Same here.  It's a huge problem.  I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had termites damage their houses, they are after all just food to termites. :ph34r:

Archived