Istanbul - a hidden gem?

andy1252

Maybe you all knew about this already, but I've just discovered the wonders of Istanbul. I was in v3 recently trying out a old aircraft, and was taken with the idea of visiting the place, but went OOM anytime I got near. So back into v4 and here we are. Don't know if this is covered by  EU-OLC, or if it's FTXGlobal that's doing this, or even if it's all just part of the native sim, but it looks quite impressive for a non full-fat scenery area. The default airports are a bit bland but you can get (and I have <grin>) replacements for them, but in the meantime - enjoy if you've not been there!

Approaching the Bosphorus from the eastern (Asian) side

eaBgVUJ.jpg

yGjmIsa.jpg

rsRt4hL.jpg

have overflown Ataturk Airport on the European side, and now coming back towards the Bosphorus again

ihxCcjy.jpg

T2haQjS.jpg

nZWm9Za.jpg

Heading up the river towards the Black Sea entrance now

a4JqZjt.jpg

fhPwUUN.jpg

I'll definitely come back and explore here some more.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Quite nice Andy!  I've been there once in the 1980's, love the detail with Global, Orbx covers the world.

I have only flown over it at night on the way to Oz in '81.

I will never ever forget the sight of the Bosphorus Bridge from so high up and all the city lights.:)

Thanks everybody. Haven't been there again yet but will definitely spend some more time there and try out some of the different seasons. Still don't know where this scenery came from (ORBX global, basic FSX/P3D) but hey - gift horse/mouth interface disabled!

I have that addon that you speak of Andy and it meshes into ORBX extremely well.  I was actually pretty blown away by how well they mesh.  I just flew out of LTBA to L.A. in the sim maybe 2 weeks ago.  I posted some pics around here someplace.  But yes, what ORBX has done in this region is wonderful, really spruced the joint up.

16 hours ago, Sammy H said:

I posted some pics around here someplace

Cheers, Sammy. Haven't installed that yet but plan to soon, and I'll go back and have a look for your post as well.

2 hours ago, a340-th said:

If you look into your \scenery\cities folder you will an "Istanbul" folder. I would guess the Hagia Sofia et al come from there.

Ah, yes. I tend to forget about checking there - that may well be why I had this memory of it being a place to visit and inspect. Just had another look there and will probably go and check out some of the other named locations. So thanks for the reminder!

Great shots mate. Has to be one of my favourite real life cities. Turks love Australians and treat you like family wherever you go. Been to Topkapi palace and the two Mosques one of which is now a museum and the other an active Mosque. Absolutely a magnificent country but stay away from the Eastern half....

Archived