Back to FSX and an OZx flight in Western Australia

1.WR1.jpg

Mundaring Weir Airstrip.

2.WR2.jpg

Helena River Reservoir.

3.WR3.jpg

Over Mundaring Weir, it is weirly good.

4.WR4.jpg

By the top left wingtip is the fire tower at Sawyer's Valley.

5.WR5.jpg

Manaring Lake.

6.WR6.jpg

The Lakes Quarry

7.WR7.jpg

BCG Quarries produce 500,000 tonnes of aggregate here annually.

8.WR8.jpg

Just north of the quarry is the Acacia Prison.

9.WR9.jpg
Over 1300 medium level inmates reside here.

10.WR10.jpg

Beautiful countryside at Clackline.

11.WR11.jpg

Northam Valley Speedway.

12.WR12.jpg

The grain silos and storage facility at Northam.

13.WR13.jpg

Northam is the largest inland WA town not founderd on mining.

14.WR14.jpg

A very nicely modelled telecommunications tower close to the speedway.

15.WR15.jpg

At the airstrip next to the speedway.

16.WR16.jpg

Where have you been?

17.WR17.jpg

Where have you wheelie bin?

A very pleasant change from the industrial landscape of London and Cologne with some beautiful weather too.

I hope you enjoyed the flight.

7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Good old times in your shots - also the plane, but moreover the OZx exploration. It has been some years that I did explore these fascinating OZx add-ons near Perth.

Do you know why the valley close to that prison is named "Sawyer´s"?

Cheers Gerold, I just hope that the authorities have not caught up with out friend for his exuberant flying antics.:o

Come back to Oz from Singapore and do some WA OZx flying, so highly enjoyable.:)

You have plenty of time to catch SQ225 in the morning.B)

What a fascinating post from WA Martyn ; the variety of shots and scenery was amazing . I see where OZx has released new beta libraries for 4.1 : http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/27004-ozx-p3d-libraries-open-beta/

My next project is to install all the Orbx airports for OZ and NZ back into 4.1 . Then work on getting all the OZx scenery's and airports up in running in 4.1 also .

Cheers

John

Have you read Sir Francis Chichester's tale of flying a Gypsy Moth on floats across the Tasman Sea?

My wife and I have flown across the US in an open cockpit biplane twice, so I know that simply folding a chart can be a chore. How he managed to take star sights with a sextant and plot the result, with no one to help hold the aircraft level, is simply astounding. But is some ways that's the least of the story. It's a great read about a great adventure.

https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Over-Tasman-Francis-Chichester/dp/1509825800" ?

6 hours ago, BradB said:

What a fascinating post from WA Martyn ; the variety of shots and scenery was amazing . I see where OZx has released new beta libraries for 4.1 : http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/27004-ozx-p3d-libraries-open-beta/

My next project is to install all the Orbx airports for OZ and NZ back into 4.1 . Then work on getting all the OZx scenery's and airports up in running in 4.1 also .

Cheers

John

Thanks for that John, maybe I should try and get it working in V4 as well. I will probably keep FSX running for my non P3D planes.:)

5 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Wow what a super flight you had Martyn you must have a encyclopaedia in your brain with all the  knowledge in it and what fantastic shots where will you  be

going next I wonder regards stewart      

Cheers Stewart, glad you enjoyed the flight.:)

I would not be able to do this without GE, Wikkipedia and Google! :o

There was no reference for the quarry or the speedway in GE so I had to Google it.;)

All good time consuming fun!:D

22 minutes ago, Tailspin45 said:

Have you read Sir Francis Chichester's tale of flying a Gypsy Moth on floats across the Tasman Sea?

My wife and I have flown across the US in an open cockpit biplane twice, so I know that simply folding a chart can be a chore. How he managed to take star sights with a sextant and plot the result, with no one to help hold the aircraft level, is simply astounding. But is some ways that's the least of the story. It's a great read about a great adventure.

https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Over-Tasman-Francis-Chichester/dp/1509825800" ?

I have not read this book but I will add it to the list of future reading not that I get enough time with all of the other things especially F Sim and the forum.

What an incredible feat of navigation that was, so different today. I wonder what these pioneering aviators would think of the planes and the aids we have today!

Have you written any books of your aviation experiences?

You appear to have lead a very interesting life and, like many others, I do enjoy reading your posts.

The rapid advancements in aviation, I'm sure, would astound the early aviators. Hell, I'm astounded and I learned to fly, relatively recently, in the '60s. I remember my grandfather, who flew Jennies for the Army Signal Corps in 1917-18, saying how amazing it was that he could remember when the Wright Brothers first flew and he also watched a man walk on the moon. 

In Navy A-6s and EA-6Bs, back in the '70s, we used doppler and inertial nav systems, and I can remember being impressed that the lat. and long. of each parking space was painted on the ramp, so you could enter your exact position in the system. (It struck me funny, too, that getting the system up and running was called an erection process.) But I was even more impressed when, after a flight, the system would know within feet where we parked.

I remember when LORAN arrived in general aviation cockpits and was amazed. At the time the best we had was a gizmo that was would watch two VORs and compute your ground speed and track and that was wonderful but expensive. But when GPS showed up, it was akin to magic--it felt like cheating, almost. How rapidly things were changing is measured by the fact that military aircrews were buying handheld GPS devices at a local store to take with them in their multi-million dollar jets! And now they're adding synthetic vision. Soon, though, pilots will fly only for fun because serious travel--cars, airlines, and military--we be a job for much, much safer AI systems.

Haven't written any books on aviation, only three boring business books published by John Wiley & Sons. Actually our most recent wasn't all boring. The title was Undress for Success: The Naked Truth About Making Money at Home. But I have written a bunch of blogs posts on aviation and collected some even better stories written by others. You find them at Tailspin's Tales.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Terrific Martyn, but could never figure out the Ozx stuff, it always seems above my pay grade to install.  Nice shots though and you really like that moth don't ya?

I have found it quite easy Jack, just as long as you follow the instructions with each pack.

I will use the old, "if I can do it, anyone can."

I am not sure how if it all works in V4 though. These are FSX.

I love my deHavilland and Miles planes, all classics.

1 hour ago, Orbxtreme said:

The approaching winter in NA and the sun and warmth in your shots...Ummm, I guess I'll have to head down the southern hemisphere for a few flights...

Come on down Francois, you will be made most welcome.:)

Archived