Windows 10 fall update- fixed 12th December

Nick Cooper

Hello,

I have read on other forums that this update, to Windows 10 1709, breaks FSX and P3Dv4,

P3D v3 having already been broken by the last update.

Never one to avoid testing a theory, I have today updated to that version and discovered that

it does indeed play havoc with both.

Fortunately, the roll back is seamless but my advice is don't do this.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know v3 is still afflicted by the KB 4038788 security update.  Microsoft is supposed to issue a fix on or about Nov. 14, according to a post on the LM board.  The Fall Update does not address that problem. 

14 minutes ago, Triplane said:

Just another reason to stick with Windows 7.....................

Yup, that works if you DON'T know how to use the current OS the way you want too.  Plus the added benefit of not getting any security updates for an out-of-date Operating System anymore.  Fun, Fun.

Sorry, but I just cringe when I see posts like, "I still use Windows 7 because I can't figure out how to make Windows 10 work."

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

Yup, that works if you DON'T know how to use the current OS the way you want too.  Plus the added benefit of not getting any security updates for an out-of-date Operating System anymore.  Fun, Fun.

Sorry, but I just cringe when I see posts like, "I still use Windows 7 because I can't figure out how to make Windows 10 work."

If you like to have a IOS that upgrades and changes itself WITHOUT letting you know about it, well stay happy with it. 

Maurizio

www.sim737ng.it

23 hours ago, FalconAF said:

How can I say this gently.....I've used Windows 10 as an Insider from the beginning. It's dual-booted here with Windows 7 but I would NEVER put FSX/P3D on the Win10 partition for many well known reasons. Please don't assume that folks don't know what they are doing.(You can delete this Nick. I'm beyond caring)............Doug

Thanks Doug, I did :)

Hi,

If you have an issue with the Latest Win10 update and are not able to use your Sim and or Sims, really simple fix. Load into safe mode,(Cntrl Restart) follow the steps for Safe Mode Enabled Boot, Once in Safe Mode, go to Command Prompt and type.   sfc  /scannow  (Remember the space in between c and / ) Reboot as Normal. Problem Solved. And you get the updated Security Features of Win10. Although sometimes I wish I blocked updates too, they can be problematic, but I like to be up to date. :)

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Never one to avoid testing a theory, I have today updated to that version and discovered that

it does indeed play havoc with both.

Nick,
Can you expand on what you might of saw in P3Dv4.? I havent had a chance to use P3Dv4 (started really using it in v4.1) that long to determine what seems normal and what does not. I did find for some reason 1709 fix my 2WA1 rwy 11 CTD and has been confirmed by 2 other open OFv2 members on this forum as well as fixed my missing trees at first load at some Orbx airports. However, I did a flight today from KEKA to KBOK which was about an hour flight in IMC VFR on top and right at touchdown the sim just hanged.

Then after a flight from L05 to L70 after landing and jumping in and out of the A2A C182 plane and towing it into a resting spot and then calling GSX for fuel, got the fuel and all, I got another crash, CTD that time I think. Thought it might of been just trying to do too much with having Google Chrome opened with 14 tabs, Microsoft Edge opened with 2 tabs, Pandora windows app playing, PilotEdge, Little Map Nav, FSE and Active Sky.

So interested in hearing about your findings as I could only find one thread on Avsim about possible CTD with 1709 and one persons suggestion that Active Sky was an issue.

Nathan

2 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

If you have an issue with the Latest Win10 update and are not able to use your Sim and or Sims, really simple fix. Load into safe mode,(Cntrl Restart) follow the steps for Safe Mode Enabled Boot, Once in Safe Mode, go to Command Prompt and type.   sfc  /scannow  (Remember the space in between c and / ) Reboot as Normal. Problem Solved. And you get the updated Security Features of Win10. Although sometimes I wish I blocked updates too, they can be problematic, but I like to be up to date. :)

Though my P3Dv4.1 is on a Win7x64 system, I'm intrigued by this Win10 problem.

What is it (in this particular case) that the sfc command fixes?

Adam.

Hello,

The main problem was FSX.

It would load but an attempt to use the drop down menu, select aircraft for example,

resulted in a long delay and then but not always, a CTD.

The Majestic Dash panel displays were haywire, there were "cannot display child window"

errors with all my PMDG aircraft and at that point, I decided that enough was enough.

I did not spend much time with P3D v4, there is a known  problem as in FSX, with the

child window and PMDG.

I am only too aware that in the case of flight simulators, we all have very different experiences

and that this update may not affect everyone in the same way.

Beware does not mean that I have extensively tested every aspect and I would be very

interested in whether Richard's suggestion would cure all these problems in one go?

Im getting the Child window in P3Dv3.4 but really am not using it and soon might just remove it all together and consider doing a vanilla install of v3.4. thank you for your post Nick and I too am interested in hearing others results with Richards cure. Not sure exactly what that does and just finished a flight from 7S3 to KORS on PE with AS, FSE, Little NavMap, Pandora and two web browsers open and no issues. I even got an engine out on the Duke Turbine before take off so had to reload the whole plane from cold and dark, so a lot was going on but no issue in v4.1 with this 1709 installed so more testing will go on.

Nathan

Nick, thanks for starting the thread and warning others of these potential issues. May I ask whether after you rolled back from v1709, everything (as far as simming) is back to working as it was previously? (With no apparent on-going changes made after the rollback?)

My computer is currently downloading v1709 (I clicked "Updates are available" - oops and darn) though I might do a rollback immediately after installation and not test v1709 compatibility with my sim (FSX-SE + many addons). Want to avoid having to re-install everything. It'd be the second time this year. Mr risk appetite is ebbing.

Richard, how effective is the sfc  /scannow  fix? And -

How widespread has this fix has been usefully applied (to sims and related) or is it something that has been observed to work on a few computers?

Hi Guys,

Basically a Corrupted or Missing File Fixing Tool, unfortunately, I did not take note of the pre-update file parameters, all I know is I used this fix after I could not start FSX and P3d,  When anything breaks,(as a first measure) I run scannow in Safe Mode and seems to do the trick. I will revert backward and see if I can replicate the Update Fault. Back Soon. 

3 hours ago, znatusch said:

Nick, thanks for starting the thread and warning others of these potential issues. May I ask whether after you rolled back from v1709, everything (as far as simming) is back to working as it was previously? (With no apparent on-going changes made after the rollback?)

Hello, 

welcome to the forums.

For me, both simulators now work as they did before.

45 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello, 

welcome to the forums.

For me, both simulators now work as they did before.

I tried running FSX-SE and ASN16+ASCA with v1709. ASN ran after listing its .exe as an exception with AVG.

Ran sfc  /scannow  in safe mode - no errors were detected.

FSX ran, with a few differences. Menu dialogue boxes that would formerly display on a black background, now displayed while FSX continued to show in the main window. When flying a circuit and on final, the runway and taxiways were black and untextured until about 500" laterally from the threshold. On closing FSX, two error messages were displayed. One  was about an unnamed unsupported function, and the other to do with child windows.

Have rolled back my system.

Windows dialogue box thanked me for trying the preview build and promised that it would "Install the next preview when it is ready."

Hopefully

6 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

I don't have ASN, and have not been able to replicate the issue, mine perhaps was something else, just seems weird both Sims stopped Working. 

Seems like v1709 works ok for some simmers and not so well for others.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but prior to downloading the new Widows 10 update, I uninstalled and blocked any reinstall of KB4041676. After I uninstalled this KB, I stopped having CTDs every time I flew a MSCOT or TTORO arrival from the west into KIAH. Maybe just a coincidence, I'm not really sure. 

20 hours ago, rockliffe said:

Hmm, I have found it a very simple operation to stop updates. I simply disabled Windows updates in 'Services.'

Hi Howard,

Are you talking about what i suggested in post #6? 

No updates as yet by doing this and you get updated defender security too!

3 hours ago, POLYMERMAN said:

Hi Howard,

Are you talking about what i suggested in post #6? 

No updates as yet by doing this and you get updated defender security too!

Hiya, no, I simply went to 'services' and disabled it there. I have disabled other bits that run in the background too.   https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4499-start-stop-disable-services-windows-10-a.html#option1

The Windows Fall update killed performance for P3Dv4.1 particularly when using VR. Whereas I was getting 57/90 FPS with the default scenario using FlyInside before updating, afterwards performance dropped to a measly 1-2 FPS. The performance was just as bad in the LM native VR mode. There may have been other issues but my simulator was unusable and I had to uninstall the update - performance was then back to normal.

Hi Polymerman - it certainly isn’t fixed. I installed the fall update and this weeks patches yesterday and as I found previously it completely killed performance in P3D v4.1 and in P3D v3. I restored my computer to what it was before the update and performance was restored.

shaun

Archived