Nice New Zealand flight

Jack Sawyer

Isn't that a marvelous country, Jack. I was lucky to have been to NZ four times, I loved it. I bought myself a 1954 vintage convertible first time I was there, stored it with a friend in Auckland and used it everytime thereafter to tour the country. 

Fronthalfleftw.BSKatshoreinNZ.jpg

5 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Isn't that a marvelous country, Jack. I was lucky to have been to NZ four times, I loved it. I bought myself a 1954 vintage convertible first time I was there, stored it with a friend in Auckland and used it everytime thereafter to tour the country. 

Thank you Bernd, and what a wonderful car!  Is it a Jaguar?  You should see what I bought on 5 September.  

Brand new 2017 Corvette Stingray.  Very fast, got a great deal on it and my old Vette as a trade-in.

uAhMGyu.jpg

87jq0Dc.jpg

5 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Wow, your Corvette is a monster, Jack. My car is an Alvis TC 21 Grey Lady DHC. Only 12 of these cars are in existence today, of 48 built. The company stopped building cars in the early 1960s. And the car is now with me in Germany

Thanks Bernd!  Your car is a work of art.  A beautiful and very classy machine.  It has beautiful lines, I love it!  On 12 left, so I reckon your's is prolly worth more than mine!

3 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

That is a beautiful car Bernd. Looks right at home there in your driveway. 

Jack, who is that spry looking young man standing next to your Corvette? Is that your son? ;)

:lol:  Thanks for making me feel young Sniper!  That's me, I wouldn't trust him to drive it, he's 19 you know...<_<

Fantastic set of caps Jack.

The last few, once the grass appeared, are outstanding.

What an amazing pair of cars you and Bernd have. I don't know which one I would rather have as they are both appealing to me in different ways.

Very interesting to see what you are both driving, I wont show you a photo of my beloved 1999 Falcon.:mellow:

Anyway better stop talking cars as this is an FS forum and not Facebook, know what I mean Jack,:lol:;);)555.

Nice shots Jack.  In my younger days I did a lot of gliding.  Most of it was from Taieri.  I've also done some gliding out of Alexandra.  I take it you have ORBX NZSI installed.  The two airport shots are nothing like the real airfields unfortunately.  Having said that shots 12, 13, 14, 15 aren't too bad.  They give a pretty good rendition of the actual landscape approaching Dunedin and Taieri airfield.  If you enlarge shot 14 you see a hill right in the middle just below the horizon.  It's shaped like a hump.  It's actually called "Saddle Hill"  Just below the hump there is a group of houses.  That's where I live so, as you will be aware, it's not far from Taieri airfield.

If you want a superb scenery package for the city of Dunedin, Mosgiel and Taieri, look at the Godzone Dunedin scenery.  It incorporates NZDN, NZTI, the city and all it's surrounds.  Flying out of Godzone NZTI is the same as it was in my gliding days.  Well worth the money if you want to fly in that area.  If you've P3D V4, the installers for that sim will be available very shortly.

....and I don't drive and exotic car. I have a Ford Ranger ute.  I think you Americans would call it a "pickup".    

Bruce R    

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Fantastic set of caps Jack.

The last few, once the grass appeared, are outstanding.

What an amazing pair of cars you and Bernd have. I don't know which one I would rather have as they are both appealing to me in different ways.

Very interesting to see what you are both driving, I wont show you a photo of my beloved 1999 Falcon.:mellow:

Anyway better stop talking cars as this is an FS forum and not Facebook, know what I mean Jack,:lol:;);)555.

Thanks Martyn!  I think I flew in summer and it was a very nice flight.  I think I might be spending more time in NZ as it's beautiful.  This area was very different from the rugged mountains I had always associated with New Zealand.  

I agree about the cars, sorry, my bad, I guess me and Bernd just got caught up in the moment.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Jack, Bernd, what awesome looking machines, WOW!!

Jack,I would be afraid to drive it, I would just sit on the front porch and look at it. :D

Almost forgot, great shots Jack! :)

Thanks Adam, it's a lovely area, I was expecting more mountains.

And thanks, I have always loved Vettes.

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Nice screen shots and the cars were an added attraction.

Thanks John, glad you liked!

5 hours ago, BradB said:

What no yellow Vette Jack in RL , you really do live a secret life here in the forum . <_<:rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Well, they're getting as rare as hen's teeth now so there are no yellow to be found.  I'd have preferred yellow though.

5 hours ago, Bruce R said:

Nice shots Jack.  In my younger days I did a lot of gliding.  Most of it was from Taieri.  I've also done some gliding out of Alexandra.  I take it you have ORBX NZSI installed.  The two airport shots are nothing like the real airfields unfortunately.  Having said that shots 12, 13, 14, 15 aren't too bad.  They give a pretty good rendition of the actual landscape approaching Dunedin and Taieri airfield.  If you enlarge shot 14 you see a hill right in the middle just below the horizon.  It's shaped like a hump.  It's actually called "Saddle Hill"  Just below the hump there is a group of houses.  That's where I live so, as you will be aware, it's not far from Taieri airfield.

If you want a superb scenery package for the city of Dunedin, Mosgiel and Taieri, look at the Godzone Dunedin scenery.  It incorporates NZDN, NZTI, the city and all it's surrounds.  Flying out of Godzone NZTI is the same as it was in my gliding days.  Well worth the money if you want to fly in that area.  If you've P3D V4, the installers for that sim will be available very shortly.

....and I don't drive and exotic car. I have a Ford Ranger ute.  I think you Americans would call it a "pickup".    

Bruce R    

Hi Bruce, this is all very interesting!  What a small world in that I just happened to randomly choose this area.  As I told Marty, I thought NZ was a lot more rugged.  Yes, this is all Orbx stuff, I have V4 so I don't have Milford Sound or QT in it yet but I do have them in v 3.4.  I never even heard of those sceneries you mentioned either.

But it sure is a beautiful place.  It must be wonderful to fly around New Zealand in real life, I'd love it.

Yes, we call them pickups, I thought everyone in the world did. :D

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent shots Jack! :)

Wow! you and Bernd both have great cars! Well done to both of you. :D

Thanks Paul, yes, both styling'!

3 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Super set of screen shots Jack looks like you had a nice flight and I love your car jack  regards stewart

Thanks Stewart!  New Zealand is such a pretty place to fly around in, I had a very relaxing flight in a tropical storm.

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I don't have Milford Sound or QT in it yet but I do have them in v 3.4

These two ORBX sceneries are very good.  I've also done a lot of gliding around Queenstown.  The gliding club I was in usually had an annual camp at Jardines Strip just south of NZQN below the mountain range next to the NZQN airport.  Jardines Strip is actually modelled in the Queenstown scenery package.  That mountain range is call "The Remarkables" and sits more or less north/south.  In the scenery, looking from NZQN, you will see a road winding up the northern end of the range.  That goes up to the Remarkables Ski Field.  Because the mountains are north/south, when there is a westerly blowing, the whole front of the range becomes a mass of rising air.  When the hill is working at its best it's not for the novice glider pilot as the updrafts can be anything from 1000 to 1800 feet per minute.  On several occasions I've been towed from Jardines to 700' above the ground back towards the face of the Remarkables and been at the top of the Remarkables at 7500' before the tow plane has landed.

You should let FTX Central 3 do its thing and install both Queenstown and Milford sceneries into V4.  Sim flying around Queenstown is great.  A good quick flight is from Queenstown NZQN to Wanaka NZWF.  Takeoff from runway 05, fly runway heading for a couple of miles and then turn right into the Gibston Valley (a few wineries are there).  Keep on that heading.  Make sure you have a good rate of climb to about 5500' or 6000', from memory, to clear the mountains and then you will end up over Cromwell.  Turn left and fly parallel to the "Pisa Range" on your left while descending to about 3600'.  At the end of the Pisa Range turn left to 290 deg to NZWF.  You should then be straight into runway 29.  The whole flight is not long.  It should take about 15 to 20 minutes.  Be aware that both NZQN & NZWF are about 1200' above sea level.  Wanaka is a holiday/tourist town much like Queenstown.  It hosts one of the biggest airshows in NZ every two years.  Check out "Warbirds Over Wanaka" on the net.

Have fun flying around the area.

Bruce R   

2 minutes ago, Bruce R said:

These two ORBX sceneries are very good.  I've also done a lot of gliding around Queenstown.  The gliding club I was in usually had an annual camp at Jardines Strip just south of NZQN below the mountain range next to the NZQN airport.  Jardines Strip is actually modelled in the Queenstown scenery package.  That mountain range is call "The Remarkables" and sits more or less north/south.  In the scenery, looking from NZQN, you will see a road winding up the northern end of the range.  That goes up to the Remarkables Ski Field.  Because the mountains are north/south, when there is a westerly blowing, the whole front of the range becomes a mass of rising air.  When the hill is working at its best it's not for the novice glider pilot as the updrafts can be anything from 1000 to 1800 feet per minute.  On several occasions I've been towed from Jardines to 700' above the ground back towards the face of the Remarkables and been at the top of the Remarkables at 7500' before the tow plane has landed.

You should let FTX Central 3 do its thing and install both Queenstown and Milford sceneries into V4.  Sim flying around Queenstown is great.  A good quick flight is from Queenstown NZQN to Wanaka NZWF.  Takeoff from runway 05, fly runway heading for a couple of miles and then turn right into the Gibston Valley (a few wineries are there).  Keep on that heading.  Make sure you have a good rate of climb to about 5500' or 6000', from memory, to clear the mountains and then you will end up over Cromwell.  Turn left and fly parallel to the "Pisa Range" on your left while descending to about 3600'.  At the end of the Pisa Range turn left to 290 deg to NZWF.  You should then be straight into runway 29.  The whole flight is not long.  It should take about 15 to 20 minutes.  Be aware that both NZQN & NZWF are about 1200' above sea level.  Wanaka is a holiday/tourist town much like Queenstown.  It hosts one of the biggest airshows in NZ every two years.  Check out "Warbirds Over Wanaka" on the net.

Have fun flying around the area.

Bruce R   

Hi Bruce, this is all very interesting.  A glider is one of the few things I haven't flown in real life.  I'd love to go there and experience it.  I don't have the nerve to go with the beta FTX thing, I know a lot of people have had success but with my luck it'll mess up my system.  I'm just gonna wait for them to finish the OF2 and then go with it.  In the meantime I can fly all around both NZ regions in V4 and the regions and QT and MS in 3.4 so it's all good.

You're very fortunate to live there and even more fortunate to live there and fly there.  I envy that kind of life.

And thanks for all the interesting information on the area, I always love to learn things like this from fellow Orbx users.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, Ken Terry said:

Jack we finally now know what you look like.

Better than this

Jacks.png

Anyway great shots of New Zealand and a good story to read about all the cars, I just got a new Merc 350d E class.

Cheers

Ken

Fred above is me inside.

Thanks Ken and good on ya, a new 350e D class!  Awesome!  Talk about luxury!

Archived