Question to those with Fibre

Jon Clarke

I notice that some websites don't download at the normal fibre speed. I can download from Orbx at 39MB/s but I downloaded an addon from Argentina and it downloaded at 250kbps.

Do others have this experience? I am using Download manager in all my downloads.

Sorry for query but i am just getting used to hispeed fibre after less than a week of it being installed, and want to know if this is a common thing, and what does it depend on.

Hello Jon,

It has always been like that.

I don't have fibre but at a 4.5 mbps download speed, I can see speeds vary hugely.

I just downloaded a file from the Flightsim library at 55kbps.

The Avsim library does 4.5mbps, as does FTX Central. 

Basically, like a water pipe, the flow will only be as fast as the slowest section.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jon,

It has always been like that.

I don't have fibre but at a 4.5 mbps download speed, I can see speeds vary hugely.

I just downloaded a file from the Flightsim library at 55kbps.

The Avsim library does 4.5mbps, as does FTX Central. 

Basically, like a water pipe, the flow will only be as fast as the slowest section.

I agree with Nick 100%, I had 'super fast' installed about a year ago.

I also notice that it can still slow down over a weekend pm when all of the 'children' seem to be on it!

Still, it is much better than what I had before! :)

Thanks gents. If that is normal then I am happy. Regarding slower speeds in pm I too did a speedtest ( I know I will get over the novelty soon I promise !) my speedtest showed a drop from daytime of 314+mbps to 307+mbps.. Still I can live with that :lol:

9 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Thanks gents. If that is normal then I am happy. Regarding slower speeds in pm I too did a speedtest ( I know I will get over the novelty soon I promise !) my speedtest showed a drop from daytime of 314+mbps to 307+mbps.. Still I can live with that :lol:

Lol...heck, I've had fiber (fibre) for the last 5 years, and I STILL love watching the Speed Test thingy. It never gets old, in my opinion. Enjoy that Speed Test jjaycee, enjoy it :D

Most Aussies survive with way less than 20mbps and many at 4 or 5. I am lucky with 100mbps fibre but there are not too many with that. So you are right Ron everybody does not have 200mbps, which of course you knew tongue in cheek naught boy. ;)

7 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Doesn't everybody have 200mb fibre? I never realised. :( 

Unfortunately Ron no, some of us have 300mbps !!!!!!!!!!!

I pity those on less, don't know how they live with it.:rolleyes:

And Ron, by the way, as I write this it shows you posted your comment 7 hrs ago. That looks like you were still up at 1.30am this morning.............having trouble with your internet mate?:)

There is a shift indeed. The longer I've been retired, the earlier I get up in the morning. Most days now I'm roaming around the house at 4am. Oh, for the good old days when I was working and sleeping as late as I could so I'd avoid the temptation of going into the office early :).

Please correct me if I am wrong (quite likely!!) but the lower case "b" is bits and 200mbps is therefore really only 2.5mBps (Bytes)??. Also due to costs many websites upload at fairly low speeds so irrespective of the carrier system, copper wire, optical fibre etc you cannot receive faster than information is sent (in this universe anyway, physicists might argue that with the various theories of space/time maybe information could be received before it is sent.

So Ron, maybe when you get up, you may already have received the information that you are going to download after you get up:wacko:

No, you're right, almost. 200mbs converts to 25mBs (not 2.5 but I think you already know that - it's just a typo). The small "b" is the abbreviation for bit and the capital "B" is the abbreviation for byte. One byte contains 8 bits so to convert from bits to bytes divide the bit count by 8. Conversely, to convert from bytes to bits multiply the byte count by 8..........Doug

On 4/26/2017 at 8:25 PM, jjaycee1 said:

I notice that some websites don't download at the normal fibre speed. I can download from Orbx at 39MB/s but I downloaded an addon from Argentina and it downloaded at 250kbps.

Do others have this experience? I am using Download manager in all my downloads.

Sorry for query but i am just getting used to hispeed fibre after less than a week of it being installed, and want to know if this is a common thing, and what does it depend on.

39MB/s - bliss!!!

I can't even manage 390KB/s.

The Argentina site would be single digit bP/s for me.

I noticed in an earlier post that a fellow Tasmanian gets 100 MB/s. He lives in part of an electorate where the Fibre to the Premises was installed before a change of government stuffed the whole thing up. I live in part of an electorate where Fibre to the Node is still an illusion and we rely on hamsters on a wheel to generate power - admittedly renewable though.

16 minutes ago, Bassman said:

100MB per second..are you sure?  That is 100 mega Bytes per second..That means he could download the Orbx library in about 6 seconds:unsure:.....he must live right on top of the Node:)

Maybe 100mbps - and I suspect he has what was intended for the NBN delivery not the farcical Clayton's version that Mr Internet Inventor and his Phony Head of the Abbey Monks are delivering.

3 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Just to clarify I post a pic of my download from OrbxDirect. I was not sure of the correct terminology either regarding Bits and Bytes, but the download manager speed indicator shows what I am very fortunate to get.

Capture.jpg

You would have had to be quick to get that screenshot whereas I would have been able to sketch it, have lunch, watch TV for a couple of hours, draw it, have dinner, go to see a movie with my wife and have a few drinks, paint it, go to bed and have a solid 8 hours sleep and finally frame it before spending a day uploading it to the forum.

1 hour ago, chumley said:

You would have had to be quick to get that screenshot whereas I would have been able to sketch it, have lunch, watch TV for a couple of hours, draw it, have dinner, go to see a movie with my wife and have a few drinks, paint it, go to bed and have a solid 8 hours sleep and finally frame it before spending a day uploading it to the forum.

I was quick ! It had only just started downloading so as you may see i had to pause it to get the pic with SnippingTool. Unfortunately ( hehe) I only had 18 seconds left so hence the need to Pause the download.

By the way chumley, 2 weeks ago I would have had to do what you state you have time for for your downloads to finish, and I could have flown to Australia and we could have had a few beers and then I could fly back to UK as well :D

Although it is not 100 MB/s, 41.292MB/s is still fantastic and you are indeed a fortunate person Jay. Even with our NBN, which in my case will be fibre to the node and then the existing ADSL2+ copper to my house, I can only expect somewhere from 8MB/s to 12MB/s; such is life in a third world communications system. Enjoy your speed (internet that is:rolleyes:)

14 hours ago, Bassman said:

Although it is not 100 MB/s, 41.292MB/s is still fantastic and you are indeed a fortunate person Jay. Even with our NBN, which in my case will be fibre to the node and then the existing ADSL2+ copper to my house, I can only expect somewhere from 8MB/s to 12MB/s; such is life in a third world communications system. Enjoy your speed (internet that is:rolleyes:)

Third World. Don't be overly generous. 

What brain would stick ADSL2 in the process? Don't answer that- it was rhetorical. However, FTTN whilst copper to the home from that point (much closer than the exchange) should deliver a better outcome. I'm going to convince all my neighbours to shun the NBN. Hopefully, by the time they work out they must transfer I will have had 18 months of better service before the lines clog up again.

Archived