LOWI first impressions

andy1252

Stunning.

That was easy!

Beautifully crisp and sharp, unbelievably fine detail. Gorgeous to look at. Showing about 900mb free VAS when taking these shots, quite high physical memory use on my PC (around 8gb, usually around 6.5gb on most sessions), and am getting some choppiness in the display. Don't know actual frame rate as I don't usually show it. But I do have everything maxed out on a 4k monitor so I may have to dial it back a bit for here. Worth it though!

cDUtRY4.jpg

RmjNJVD.jpg

GYS9fQq.jpg

Thank you, Jarrad, for producing this, and thank you to ORBX for the oldies discount so I even get it reduced!

Thanks Andy, amazing shots, thanks for posting. 

Looking at your shots, the following changes should give you a considerable change in performance:

1. Disable vegetation shadows (or dial all the way down).. there are literally millions of trees in the LOWI coverage area, and with all these objects casting shadows, this will be one of the heaviest hitters in performance. 

2. Dial down your water settings three notches (if maxed out) - for an area like LOWI, the visual loss will be negligible vs the performance gain. 

3. If your master shadow settings are maxed out, dial down the quality a notch or two - there is a huge amount of geometry in the scenery (particularly the airport), toning this down will have a big effect. 

4. If you haven't already, turn down AI car traffic to 7-10%. This won't effect the immediate vicinity of LOWI, but will impact the approaches noticeably.

All of these will have minimal visual changes. If you are still looking for ways to save extra performance beyond that:

1. Dial down the vegetation autogen density a notch or two. The vegetation density around the airport is extreme, this will have a noticable impact (but also with more visual impact too). 

2. Ditto autogen buildings - these will possibly have a bit of an impact. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

16 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Looking at your shots, the following changes should give you a considerable change in performance:

Thanks for the suggestions Jarrad, and I'll try them out tomorrow (not flying today). I'm actually ok with the performance I'm getting in daylight, but I do need to dial something back to be in with a chance of some dusk/nighttime views so I'll try your tips first.

And once again, congrats on a marvellous job, it really is stunning - really crisp and full of detail and I'm sure we'll all be discovering all sorts of little treats for months to come. This is quality above and beyond anything available elsewhere. For me, this whole sim experience is primarily about seeing an ever improving virtual world. I like the aircraft and the flying bit, but the 'planes are just facilitators to enable me to move around the world. So seeing products like this rolling out is what makes it all work for me.

But hey, don't think you can take it easy now. I know you're secretly working on a similarly detailed version of Southend Airport (EGMC) and that entire corner of Essex, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Particularly keen on the new time travel options that will allow me to set the entire area back to around 1960. Whoops! I probably shouldn't have let everybody know about that <grin>

Archived