The big D over Denver

Jack Sawyer

Made a VAS test flight for my upcoming 747 tutorial flight.  Orbx Global, Trees, default weather.  Was a dismal VAS failure.  Need to change graphics settings to lowest, right above the point where I lose all buildings.  How sad, counting the days for 64 bit.

But the 747 is so beautiful, so iconic that I've always been really enamored of it.

CVmQ3Fw.jpg

45kcY63.jpg

aSMEYxd.jpg

LCXcnkN.jpg

Just look at what Boeing wrought.  Such beauty.

EINIxow.jpg

WYm5UdW.jpg

G0kyBWP.jpg

YKm8pFF.jpg

HOsuJ3I.jpg

EJf8vo7.jpg

mi01qWU.jpg

C40YXT4.jpg

Great shots of a great plane!

I'll tell you, 64 bit IS great - nothing worse than dreading the chimes and a OOM.

Surprised that NA LC and such basic scenery would do it though....the Orbx San Juans, yes, but I've not had a OOM in 8 months even there.   That gorgeous plane must be VAS intense -no matter, it will be great in v4. :)

I took a United 747 home Shanghai - Chicago last December, and boarded via stairs outside on the ramp after a rainy bus ride (fun!).   Even while riding it I felt it would be my last ride on one and now UA has oulled up the retirement date to Q3 this year.   Sad, I always am reassured by those 4 big engines while over the North Pole or middle of the Pacific going to Asia and back for work, say what you will about ETOPS.

But we will always have her in our sims!

Steve

Wonderful set Jack but a shame about your VAS problem.

Beauty of a plane though and some great scenery.

44 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Very nice Jack. That truly is a great big bird. Probably one of the best airliners ever built.

I miss flying on the 747, did a few trips on them with various airlines and always enjoyed the plane. Those solid seats screamed comfort!

1 minute ago, Republic DC-9 said:

I'll tell you, 64 bit IS great - nothing worse than dreading the chimes and a OOM.

Surprised that NA LC and such basic scenery would do it though....the Orbx San Juans, yes, but I've not had a OOM in 8 months even there.   That gorgeous plane must be VAS intense -no matter, it will be great in v4. :)

I took a United 747 home Shanghai - Chicago last December, and boarded via stairs outside on the ramp after a rainy bus ride (fun!).   Even while riding it I felt it would be my last ride on one and now UA has oulled up the retirement date to Q3 this year.   Sad, I always am reassured by those 4 big engines while over the North Pole or middle of the Pacific going to Asia and back for work, say what you will about ETOPS.

Steve

These old planes will never die as long as there is FS.

No OOM in 8 months eh, tempting fate with that statement Steve:ph34r:

TG are still flying into Oz with their 744s and reading a flight report the other day they are in a pretty sad and sorry state inside which is a great shame.

I think they end this year but not sure.

Love seeing the 747 and MD-11 at the VTBS as they are the loudest planes out there:lol:

Great shots Jack.  

It truly is a shame in this modern day and era of high end technology and simming that we have so many great addons and yet still cannot enjoy all of them in a single flight.  WE as a sim community spend SOOOOO much money for these companies to develop projects that WE all desire and yet we get a 20-30 min flight out of them after purchase before we get the dreadful "DING" noise before death.  It's just a shame, probably explains why I been flying DCS so much.  Although a Combat Simulator only one thing I never have to worry about hearing is that dreadful noise.  Just really sucks with such great products that we purchase for our sims and never can enjoy them the way it's meant to be without some type of rigging or tricking the system to "SOMEWHAT" make it work.

Superb shots by the way Jack.  I thought of purchasing the 74 but for this very reason right here I am not going to waist the 135$ just so I can get 5 min screen captures out of it before I have to restart my sim.  Thanks, but no thanks :)

10 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Very nice Jack. That truly is a great big bird. Probably one of the best airliners ever built.

Thanks, I couldn't agree more.  Very iconic.

9 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Steve

Thanks Steve!  I have a friend who flys it on a Mac with Windows 7 emulated and he gets better results.  I tried turning off everything but Orbx Global and bringing the graphics sliders way down to the point where just before the buildings disappear.  I have to play with it more just to fly it and you're right Steve, this can get annoying.  I read somewhere recently that on a different sim, forget the name of it, they just install the sim and fly in five minutes but with FSX and P3D you install it and troubleshoot.  Sums it up right I guess.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful set Jack but a shame about your VAS problem.

Beauty of a plane though and some great scenery.

I miss flying on the 747, did a few trips on them with various airlines and always enjoyed the plane. Those solid seats screamed comfort!

These old planes will never die as long as there is FS.

No OOM in 8 months eh, tempting fate with that statement Steve:ph34r:

TG are still flying into Oz with their 744s and reading a flight report the other day they are in a pretty sad and sorry state inside which is a great shame.

I think they end this year but not sure.

Love seeing the 747 and MD-11 at the VTBS as they are the loudest planes out there:lol:

Thanks Martyn.  I have flown many times on real ones.  Pan Am and British Airways.  Both were superb.  I'll never forget leaving HEathrow on one heading for Boston.  When we took off we were pinned back in our seats.  It was like a rocket.  I do love the 747, my favorite civilian plane ever.

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Incredible shots Jack! :)  I can't believe I only ever flew on a 747 one time in the mid 70s to Hawaii. :rolleyes:

Thanks Adam.  Still must have been a good flight, a long one but good, they fly really smoothly.

9 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Superb captures Captain!

Thank you Erik!

5 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Some cracking shots these.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

5 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Great shots Jack.  

It truly is a shame in this modern day and era of high end technology and simming that we have so many great addons and yet still cannot enjoy all of them in a single flight.  WE as a sim community spend SOOOOO much money for these companies to develop projects that WE all desire and yet we get a 20-30 min flight out of them after purchase before we get the dreadful "DING" noise before death.  It's just a shame, probably explains why I been flying DCS so much.  Although a Combat Simulator only one thing I never have to worry about hearing is that dreadful noise.  Just really sucks with such great products that we purchase for our sims and never can enjoy them the way it's meant to be without some type of rigging or tricking the system to "SOMEWHAT" make it work.

Superb shots by the way Jack.  I thought of purchasing the 74 but for this very reason right here I am not going to waist the 135$ just so I can get 5 min screen captures out of it before I have to restart my sim.  Thanks, but no thanks :)

Couldn't agree more Sammy.  Soon, this will all be just a memory when P3D 64 comes out.  I'll be able to fly over Friday harbor in my 747 and not get the OOM chimes.  I wonder if the Microsoft software engineers could have envisioned this when they wrote it back then.  Today they would but back then I don't know.

Yeah, I hate having to constantly tweak it to get it to fly but for now what else can I do?  It was a Christmas gift so I keep on trying even if I get to just fly around the airport.  Hopefully today I'll get a chance to do the tutorial KDEN to KSFO flight.

Thanks Sammy!

Wow Jack.  All the shots are great, but none so like in the middle of the batch,there are two shots with landing gear extended. Pure magic.  I have a great idea.  Instead of spending the $135, all I have to do is live vicariously by looking at yours and others screens.  Not too long ago, I bought the 737 NGX, and it is giving me fits by freezing up.  I am now actually reading the Introduction manual to see what I have to do to try to make this work on a 32 bit system. :(

1 hour ago, PDX Flyer said:

Wow Jack.  All the shots are great, but none so like in the middle of the batch,there are two shots with landing gear extended. Pure magic.  I have a great idea.  Instead of spending the $135, all I have to do is live vicariously by looking at yours and others screens.  Not too long ago, I bought the 737 NGX, and it is giving me fits by freezing up.  I am now actually reading the Introduction manual to see what I have to do to try to make this work on a 32 bit system. :(

Sounds like you have a good idea PDX, living vicariously like that, saves money.

Thanks for you nice words too, I appreciate it.

Boeing did a great job in this beautiful plane.  I've watched a lot of YT's on the making of it, most interesting for we aviation buffs.

Great shots Jack! :). I really like no 5.

What an amazing aircraft. I have flown on one dozens of times, to the USA, Africa and the Far East. I still can't work out how something that huge and heavy can fly!

Sorry to hear of your OOM errors. Yep, guess we all keep going with FS 32 bit until something really better is released. I fear that may take some time.......

Having said that, FSX or P3D with all of the wonderful add-ons (like orbx) now available, remains a fantastic experience. :)

Cheers

Paul

1 minute ago, paulb said:

Great shots Jack! :). I really like no 5.

What an amazing aircraft. I have flown on one dozens of times, to the USA, Africa and the Far East. I still can't work out how something that huge and heavy can fly!

Sorry to hear of your OOM errors. Yep, guess we all keep going with FS 32 bit until something really better is released. I fear that may take some time.......

Having said that, FSX or P3D with all of the wonderful add-ons (like orbx) now available, remains a fantastic experience. :)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, that one was my favorite too.  

What's amazing is something so large can rotate and land at such low speeds.  And, remember the space shuttle, the 747 carried that 101 ton ship on its back.  How cool is that?

#5 is my favourite too! Classic angle - and great lighting!

I haven't been able to buy the new 747 yet, but I've been told its VAS useage is actually better then the 737. Have you tried tweaking back the settings for the avionics? That usually helps.

Adam.

23 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

#5 is my favourite too! Classic angle - and great lighting!

I haven't been able to buy the new 747 yet, but I've been told its VAS useage is actually better then the 737. Have you tried tweaking back the settings for the avionics? That usually helps.

Adam.

Thanks Adam.  I have the 737 for FSX and its VAS was much better.  How do I tweak back the avionics?  Didn't know I could do this.  

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Adam.  I have the 737 for FSX and its VAS was much better.  How do I tweak back the avionics?  Didn't know I could do this.  

From memory (for the 737), it will be in some PMDG Control Panel or other. It may even be available from one of the MCDU pages. You should be able to dial back the refresh rate on a pre/gauge basis.

Adam.

44 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

From memory (for the 737), it will be in some PMDG Control Panel or other. It may even be available from one of the MCDU pages. You should be able to dial back the refresh rate on a pre/gauge basis.

Adam.

Thanks Adam, I'll have a look.  Right now I'm trying out your new 21_11 preset.

Let me ask you something.  Why is whenever I use a new preset and let things settle down, whenever I run AS16 it keeps closing and saying it has stopped working.  It finally works.  Is it because the shaders were deleted or something?

22 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Let me ask you something.  Why is whenever I use a new preset and let things settle down, whenever I run AS16 it keeps closing and saying it has stopped working.  It finally works.  Is it because the shaders were deleted or something?

I don't have AS16, so can't really advise. I suspect it may be shaders/cache rebuilding related, but as to why it should actually stop working ... no idea, I'm afraid! It may be worth asking in the Avsim forums - there must be quite a few AS16/PTA users out there.

I hope you like 21_11 ... I've more or less stopped tweaking now - just enjoying the views!!!! This is usually a cue for Yuri to introduce the next raft of changes (LOL) but the impression I got from him a while ago was that there's not much more he feels he can throw at it.

Adam.

41 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

I don't have AS16, so can't really advise. I suspect it may be shaders/cache rebuilding related, but as to why it should actually stop working ... no idea, I'm afraid! It may be worth asking in the Avsim forums - there must be quite a few AS16/PTA users out there.

I hope you like 21_11 ... I've more or less stopped tweaking now - just enjoying the views!!!! This is usually a cue for Yuri to introduce the next raft of changes (LOL) but the impression I got from him a while ago was that there's not much more he feels he can throw at it.

Adam.

I like it Adam.  Less blue.  As for AS16, well, after a few quits and re-runs of P3D AS16 is working.

Just now, mikewies said:

Jack -- the 747 images were 1st rate pics! Loved the close up images and being able to count the landing gear wheels.

Thanks Mike!  It's a terrific plane Boeing made isn't it?  I'll be posting some more soon as I made a few test flights today and some other nice, more sedate flights.

Where I live I see them flying directly over my head all day every day.  But as much as I like them, they're a bit difficult to land on small Orbx airports like Israel's Farm for example.

9 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Or Friday Harbor? Hey Jack we should put pontoons on that big bird and freak out the neighborhood of Nanaimo landing a 747 in their pond. What do you say?  

Man, flyingleaf, you know I'd try it wouldn't you?  I'd have to.  If I could do it I would.  And have a blast too. :lol:

Archived