New system build, bit of an overkill

Kilstorm

•  
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Kaby Lake)
  •  
  • FAN: Corsair Hydro H100i V2 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
  •  
  • HD_M2SSD: 1TB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write  (Single Drive)
  • HD_PCIE1X_SSD: None
  • HDD: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
  •  
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
  •  
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready] 
  •  
  • OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 15% or more) 
  • POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
  •  
  • VIDEO: EVGA GeForce® GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Edition 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready]  (Single Card)

Old system locked me out so while that is with our IT dept, I decided to advance my desire to upgrade to a new system build by a year and got this.  The M.2 drive will be reserved for P3Dv4, the SSD drive is for P3Dv3 and the HDD drive is for AeroFly FS2 since it might get big with photoreal addons.

They (CyberpowerPC) are going to overclock it for me so the end CPU will be at 4.8gigs.

I know some of the stuff is overkill for simming but I also use the computer for video editing as well.

Is there any known issues on anything that I got, I still have a few days to make changes to the build if so? 

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

..I read that the i7-7700k will already do 4.5ghz, do you need the overclock?

Yeah the default for this one is 4.2 but I have done like 5 computer builds with Cyberpower over the years and they have always done the overclocking for me.  So for the extra 30 bucks to have them overclock it for me has become a no brainer. Sadly in another build option they offered which costed more, they offered a 20% overclocking option which would of put it at 5.08gigs.  I went with that CPU strictly for the CPU speed and it being the one that I could overclock to the highest level by them.

I looked at that last night as to how much Windows takes up on a HD which is about 20 gigs. So the next thing is this whole M@ is scary tech for me being new and the worry of if it fails then I am out both P3D and the OS. If M2 seems to be stable and I shouldnt worry about it going bad easily, I can call them and make sure they are putting the OS on the M2 and not the SSD.

7 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Looks like a great build but why not use the M2 drive for Windows so that the entire system can benefit and take advantage of the speed. Using it for P3d will simply make p3d boot faster.

Just called and made sure they put the OS on the M2 drive.

I would get the Samsung M.2 EVO 960 2TB SSD and put Windows and P3Dv4 on that. Read speed is 3600MB/sec which eats through terrain mesh and HD textures. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-samsung-960-pro-m2-pcie-nvme-48-layer-v-nand-3500mb-s-read-2100mb-s-write-440k-360k-iops-1200tbw

I have that on my desktop PC and I'd never go back to a slower read speed.

That will have to be a future purchase. They wont let me make any more changes to the existing order so I would have to cancel and start over plus that would put me over budget. I am putting Windows, P3Dv3.4 and the coming v4 on the M.2 drive since I will have the space so it will be reading at 1800MB/s which will be a big up grade from my SSD. But yeah, a 3600MB/s read speed must be insane! So you never see terrain mesh re-conform as you fly or does that still happen? 

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

I would get the Samsung M.2 EVO 960 2TB SSD and put Windows and P3Dv4 on that. Read speed is 3600MB/sec which eats through terrain mesh and HD textures. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-samsung-960-pro-m2-pcie-nvme-48-layer-v-nand-3500mb-s-read-2100mb-s-write-440k-360k-iops-1200tbw

That's a few pounds mate, must kick butt.

On 3/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, John Venema said:

I would get the Samsung M.2 EVO 960 2TB SSD and put Windows and P3Dv4 on that.

Took your advice as the build hadnt started yet and went the 1TB version instead of the 2TB one. While I was at it I also upgraded the video card to the nVidia 1080ti and made some minor switches to the other hard drives. So heres the final results:

CAS: CFI Boreallight w/ USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD, Side Panel Window (White Color)
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Kaby Lake) Overclocked to 4.8gigs
FAN: CybepowerPC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
HD_M2SSD: 1TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 3500MB/s Read & 2100MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write  (Single Drive)

HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD  (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory  (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready] 
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - EVGA 850W GQ 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
VIDEO: GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

This thing better scream.

That is a serious bit of kit! :). Can't fault it.  I have a PCIe drive on mine - superfast!  Glad to see that you have gone for W10 pro also. Not much different to the Home edition, but it does have a couple of extra features. Nice to see that you have the very new 1080Ti as well.

Just one small observation - the HDD2 - I assume that you will use it just for data, backups etc? I only ask as I find that SSDs are so much faster and quieter. Plus they are far cheaper than they were a few years ago.

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, paulb said:

the HDD2 - I assume that you will use it just for data

I got that for AeroFly FS2 as I feel in no short time that file might get really big with added photoreal packages and yeah they are noisy...just put an old Western Digital Raptor in my current system to replace the messed up C Drive in it to get it back up and running.

I looked at the PCIe drive as well but the speed of that M.2 drive looks really good. I was on the fence about the evga 1080 FTW vs the 1080Ti Founders because that evga one is really pimped out and in many cases bested the stock Ti on paper and specs but in the end, the Ti seems to be ready for better visuals like 5K screens and stuff like that so for me and using VR felt that would make a big difference over speed and those specs. 

25 minutes ago, Kilstorm said:

I got that for AeroFly FS2 as I feel in no short time that file might get really big with added photoreal packages and yeah they are noisy...just put an old Western Digital Raptor in my current system to replace the messed up C Drive in it to get it back up and running.

I looked at the PCIe drive as well but the speed of that M.2 drive looks really good. I was on the fence about the evga 1080 FTW vs the 1080Ti Founders because that evga one is really pimped out and in many cases bested the stock Ti on paper and specs but in the end, the Ti seems to be ready for better visuals like 5K screens and stuff like that so for me and using VR felt that would make a big difference over speed and those specs. 

Cheers buddy. You seem to know what you are doing. Good luck with the system. It should be brilliant! :)

Just out of interest, what is you monitor setup?  (or do you just use VR?).

Paul

9 minutes ago, paulb said:

what is you monitor setup? 

I'm in the middle of moving my main sim to go all in on my VR sim. My old sim screen was a 65" but now I'm on a 22" or something like that as a back up and a 10" touch screen as the main one.

Heres a quick video of the VR sim as I started bringing things over from my old big sim. Its all painted now and I added an additional throttle quad (brought over from the big sim since it was extra) and mounted overhead on the swing out door to be used for planes like the Twin Otter.

This is my old big sim that I am now converting into a movie room with a kick ass sound system, starlight ceiling and things like that. Sad to tear out the sim but since using VR, I really dont use it.

Got the email yesterday that shes shipped. Should have it by Wed the 29th...so it looks like I will be taking next Thursday and Friday as vacation days! When P3Dv4 comes out, I'm going to buy another 1TB M.2 Pro and put it on that drive. I was going to use the SSD drive for doing editing work with Adobe CC but with the speed of the M.2 figured I should use it instead. Not sure what I'll ever put on the SSD drive..perhaps Aerofly?!

• 9 months later...

I'm biting the proverbial bullet and upgrading my old, noisy flight sim slideshow hardware.

My current computer specs (don't laugh):

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- CPU: AMD FX-4170
- MEMORY: 12GB DDR3 @ 668MHz

- MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTek M5A97 LE R2.0

- VIDEO: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (EVGA)

- Hard Drives: 2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 ATA,  931GB Western Digital WDC

I've got P3Dv4, a TON of Orbx products, A2A aircraft, REX, Active Sky, and a tiny bit of AF2.
I love detail, so I have my sliders anywhere from halfway upwards...  but my FPS's are usually from the single digits to low 20's, max.  In other words, a slideshow. Scenery and autogen generate rather slowly, and even slower if I use a fast plane.  With P3D running, it really taxes my system and my fans are running full blast, and I can hear the computer whizzing from 25 feet away.

After reading all the great comments here on this thread, I went to CYBERPOWERPC to purchase their GAMER INFINITY XLC computer.

I opted (using JV's advice above) to replace the standard drive with the 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, and included a request to have them install Windows 10 on it.

The other option I got was to have them OC the processor, from 3.7GHz to 4.8GHz.

So the new computer's main specs are:
CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox 5t Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Fully Modular HDD/SSD cages & Side-Panel Window
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Coffee Lake)
FAN: CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC (White Color) 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Free 256GB WD Black Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
HD_M2SSD: 2TB SAMSUNG 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/2100 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 440/360k
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) RGB Lightning DDR4/3000MHz Memory Module (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)
MOTHERBOARD: CyberpowerPC Z370 SLI Xtreme ATX w/ RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready]
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

Hoping for a smooth transition to a whole new flight sim experience soon.

-Paul

Congrats on the new system build, and I think you will be happy with the better performance, once all the dust settles. Of course you know you will have to adjust settings and whatnot even on your new system, but based on what you had to deal with on your old system, you should be very good at that :D

7 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

I see in your list you have a 3tb sata3 hard drive, I take it that’s just for backups and other stuff

Yes that is strictly for backup files. The M.2 drive is for P3Dv3, v4 and XP11 and the SSD is for ASF2. Coming up on a year with this system and have enjoyed it greatly. Still have plenty of space left on the main drive so the only thing I will be upgrading anytime soon would be a new VR headset. Feel like I can easily get another 3 years out of this system before I would be ready to consider looking at whats news.

Looks like Santa has visited quite a few of us:) Just built my new computer today and busy fresh installing everything. CPU Core i7 8th Gen Intel 8700k OC speed 4.7GHz (don't think I will both OC further). Liquid cooled Thermeltake 3.0 setup. MSI Z370 M5 MB with 16GB DDR4 speed 2400 with GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC GPU. Win 10 on a 120GB WD SSD. Will be installing Flightsim on a new Seagate 2TB Firecuda SSHD Hybrid (ok not a dedicated SSD but I was already stretching the budget so spent my money on the CPU, MB and GPU). Kept my existing 1000 Watt PSU. All this is contained in a very simple Thermeltake Versa N25 Mid Tower which leaves plenty of room for good ventilation. I am looking forward to a clean flightsim installation as I have accumulated way too much shizer over the last four years.

3 hours ago, Bassman said:

Looks like Santa has visited quite a few of us:) Just built my new computer today and busy fresh installing everything. CPU Core i7 8th Gen Intel 8700k OC speed 4.7GHz (don't think I will both OC further). Liquid cooled Thermeltake 3.0 setup. MSI Z370 M5 MB with 16GB DDR4 speed 2400 with GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC GPU. Win 10 on a 120GB WD SSD. Will be installing Flightsim on a new Seagate 2TB Firecuda SSHD Hybrid (ok not a dedicated SSD but I was already stretching the budget so spent my money on the CPU, MB and GPU). Kept my existing 1000 Watt PSU. All this is contained in a very simple Thermeltake Versa N25 Mid Tower which leaves plenty of room for good ventilation. I am looking forward to a clean flightsim installation as I have accumulated way too much shizer over the last four years.

Congrats on the new system build, and have fun getting it all up and running! Always exciting when you go for that first power on, boot up after a new build. :) 

3 hours ago, Bassman said:

Looks like Santa has visited quite a few of us:) Just built my new computer today

Congrats on the new machine. One suggestion I took that I had been thinking about prior was getting a Battery Backup (UPS). Low cost and great insurance protecting the computer. I think I paid like 135USD for mine. We recently had a storm and I was able to unplug everything yet had  hours of back up power to everything while off so it still was like a normal start up when I plugged everything back in aond powered on. Not to mention removing the spikes from the power company.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, John Venema said:

Hi John,

I recently bought a new PC from CyberPowerPC, and opted for a Samsung M.2 960 PRO 2TB SSD.

I requested CyberPowerPC to install the OS (Windows 10) on that drive... but they didn't.

So right now I have P3Dv4.1 and all my ORBX products on the 960 PRO.

Before I look into migrating Windows to the 960PRO drive, can you tell me what the advantages are for having both on this amazing drive?

Would boot-up be faster?  Increase in fps? 
I went from a P3D slideshow (5-18fps average) to 50-140fps, with many sliders maxed. 
Just wondering what I'd gain if I moved Windows to the 960 PRO.

Thanks,

Paul

Archived