Caravan touring in the Fjordland

Stillwater

... and for sure I am not talking about motorhomes. After a great day at Martins Bay lodge (do not talk about the night before)...

2017-1-18_19-52Martinsbay.jpg

... we left with a last view of the beach...

2017-1-18_19-55-24-620.jpg
2017-1-18_19-57-35-0.jpg

... and down to Milford Sound for another attempt.

2017-1-18_19-59-49-49.jpg

Entering the fjord...

2017-1-18_20-2MilfordSound.jpg

... passing The Elephant (you can already guess where the name comes from )...

2017-1-18_20-4TheElephant.jpg

... and this time the approach was not too high.

2017-1-18_20-8-10-173.jpg

Obviously NZMF is a major hub for the region...

2017-1-18_20-11Caravaning.jpg

... with first class lounge facilities only 5 minutes away.

2017-1-18_20-13-13-319.jpg

Let´s go with the next bus...

2017-1-18_20-51NZMF.jpg

... but the routing I found in the plane - following the Milford Track - does require quite a challenging takeoff for that size of plane!

AIRMILFORDROUTES.jpg

2017-1-18_20-52-23-987.jpg

Climbing over Lake Ada...

2017-1-18_20-54LakeAda.jpg

... turning around the corner...

2017-1-18_20-54-53-196.jpg

... and crossing the mountain ridges, ...

2017-1-18_20-59-29-289.jpg

... just to descend seconds later over Lake Wakatipu.

2017-1-18_21-4ElfinBay.jpg

Into Queenstown on base...

2017-1-18_21-14Queenstown.jpg

... and final, ...

2017-1-18_21-19NZQN.jpg

... to find MY parking lot occupied :wacko:. We are gonna have an argument, my friend...

2017-1-18_21-28AirMilford.jpg

I love your pics and the very vivid green in the first repaint you are using.  Looks like you are flying the original Carenado Caravan, that is, not the EX version.  I too own and fly that same version.  Haven't seen a reason to pony up the money to buy the new one.  Also, I prefer those older fashioned steam gauges.

Thank you for commenting, @Iain Emms and @RJ!

3 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Great shots Gerold.  And thanks for the route map, I always wondered how that worked.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was an awesome tour Gerold!  Man, I loved it.  And that map, how did you do it?  I mean how did you get the dashed lines on it and with different colors?  What a beautiful flight and narration.

The map is included in MangoTangos livery pack over in OZx, together with a RL photo of the plane just in front of the hangar in Queenstown. I see she has a cargo pod in RL, so I will have to do this flight again! 

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/3724-carenado-c208b-zk-skb/

1 hour ago, bvdboomen said:

Oh Gerold, you're making it so difficult for me!

I have that Caravan (the non-G1000 version) on my wish list but I feel that I've already bought to much lately. :)

I have the same feeling, but it is getting better now. Some airports on my list that have not been subject to sales recently, so I still have time...

51 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

I love your pics and the very vivid green in the first repaint you are using.  Looks like you are flying the original Carenado Caravan, that is, not the EX version.  I too own and fly that same version.  Haven't seen a reason to pony up the money to buy the new one.  Also, I prefer those older fashioned steam gauges.

Indeed this is the original / initial Carenado Caravan. I do not feel the need for a HD version here (she is good enough), nor do I want to work with this tough bird on a fancy iPad-cockpit. And there are so many good liveries out there...

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Indeed this is the original / initial Carenado Caravan. I do not feel the need for a HD version here (she is good enough), nor do I want to work with this tough bird on a fancy iPad-cockpit. And there are so many good liveries out there...

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

23 hours ago, mikee said:

Beautiful Crisp Shots Gerold !

Thanks Mikee, obviously the add-ons do not overload my PC.

22 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

All beauties these!

Thank you Dolf!

19 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Gloroious set Gerold.

Great narration and map too.

At least I begin to get some orientation in NZL. 4 weeks ago I was totally lost down there and yesterday I could precisely discuss the sights of the country with a lady that had been there over Chrismas: They walked the Milford Track ("along Arthur River, southwards from Mi-Sound?"), went even under the waterfall (and we all know where it is), visited Queenstown ("went Bungee juming there?" - "oh yes, all of us"). Orbx is a better geography lesson than I ever had at school...

On ‎24‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 1:51 AM, Wakashi said:

you should look into hiring out as an NZ tour guide or at least a travel agent for some extra summer cash to buy more Orbx

Now that is not only a compliment, but even a creative idea with a well-understandable motivation.

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Beautiful shots Gerold, that's such a great area to fly! :)

Indeed a pleasure down there, Adam. How could I miss it so long...?

17 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Very interesting trip and beautiful shots of the area Gerold! Now go talk to the intruder!.

I did so, but he remained very static. I´ll return with a choplifter. Or Instant scenery. That guy will pay for it!

Archived